• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New York Comic stores

26 posts in this topic

One that was owned by a guy named Joe , Village Comics is no more on Sullivan Street. I walked by the other day and was shocked to see the space empty, waiting for a new tenant. I remember Joe when he had a store on 58th st. years ago, and followed him as he moved his store around. They didn't have a great set up, but he carried a lot of off beat stuff. So if you see that in a comic guide, skip over it.

One that was owned by a guy named Joe , Village Comics is no more on Sullivan Street. I walked by the other day and was shocked to see the space empty, waiting for a new tenant. I remember Joe when he had a store on 58th st. years ago, and followed him as he moved his store around. They didn't have a great set up, but he carried a lot of off beat stuff. So if you see that in a comic guide, skip over it.

No surprise there. Last time I went there I noticed some silver age groups in a glass case secured together by rubber bands! You could see the band creasing the books! Horrible setup!

Village Comics used to run TV ads in the early 90s. I guess business was a lot better.

There are a few places still around and I have abolutely no idea how they survive. Their back issue stock is atrocious and vastly overpriced. They have the same new stuff everyone else has. I'm blanking on names, but Gotham Comics rings a bell and then there's another one in the Village where everything seems to be 200% of OPG. St. Marks comics is still around, but I don't know if they have much back issue stock other than dollar bins full of moderns. At least Midtown has a ton of selection and I occasionally find something good in the bins (and their 40% off sales are ok too), even though most of it is vastly overpriced.