• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC vs Marvel - Readers Only Need Inquire

42 posts in this topic

hey POV....I just tried an experiment. I gave this thread 5 stars when it had none to see what would happen. Well, it jumped all the way to 5!!! That doesnt seem right....no reflection on your thread of course.

But if it had none before, my 5 should have been averaged in somewhere based upon all the posters who gave it none so far, right....and not the apparent average of all the ratings given, in this case--ONE rating!!???

hey POV....I just tried an experiment. I gave this thread 5 stars when it had none to see what would happen. Well, it jumped all the way to 5!!! That doesnt seem right....no reflection on your thread of course.

But if it had none before, my 5 should have been averaged in somewhere based upon all the posters who gave it none so far, right....and not the apparent average of all the ratings given, in this case--ONE rating!!???

I shall try giving it one - bet it hits a 3.

post edit comment - Yep - it hit a 3.

okay. so now that we understand how it works....can I give it another five to push it back to four? Or do I get once chance? What if I change mine to one?? Ill try that---

okay. so now that we understand how it works....can I give it another five to push it back to four? Or do I get once chance? What if I change mine to one?? Ill try that---

Why are you guys killing this thread?!?!? What did it do to you?!?!

it cant be hijacking if Im having a conversation with the guy who STARTED the thread right? Its just a side conversation...we're almost done...sheesh.

OKAY back to DC (yayyyyyyy) vs Marvel (hisssssssss) boo.gif

You only get one rating chance, thread or human!

Now back to the thread: Man-Thing vs Swamp Thing. Man-Thing is even more Heapish than Swampie, but Swampie has a certain something that makes me like him more - and that actually IS a touch of the Marvel Angst. But just enough! grin.gif

To get this puppy back on topic..

I prefer Marvel because the classic DC stuff never intrigued me much. The characters were often hoaky and completely corny without any real world rationale for their existance. At least Marvel characters had a rich pseudo-scientific reasoning for why they are around. Hey, it's equally as unbelievable but still EASIER to suspend disbelief long enough to grasp it in a comic book context. Plus the human morals seemed overly simplistic in many of the DC titles.

With that being said..I like a lot of the DC spinoff stuff and sometimes the story arcs are incredibly good. Just as a constant reader the Universe seems rather convoluted and way more inconsistent than Marvel.

Oh..the few series from DC that I thought trumped Marvel:

Sandman

Swamp Thing (Moore run)

Notice a pattern here? They were all written by the best.

I don't count Vertigo titles because they are independent from the DC universe and written and drawn by more experimental "indie" people.

Ok, this will make me seem even weirder, but I just have to share boo.gif

I prefer Marvel to DC, for the reason a couple of people can't stand Marvel... because it never ends... I'm a borderline obsessive completist and I need to know that I'll never get all the Marvel books out there that connect to a story-line...otherwise I might as well give up.

Most Marvel books refer to another 5 Marvel books that also each refer to another 5 Marvel books, this way you get the feeling that you're part of something huge, without borders.

When I read a couple of DC books (especially Bronze DC) I always feel like, ok this story is over, I don't need to know more, pick up another book...all ends are neatly tied up...which I hate.

There always has to be more, more, more 893frustrated.gif