• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HELP! Grade this ASM 98!

23 posts in this topic

looks like it USED to qualify as a real purdy book! In todays eyes and with the handy census revealing the existence of copies that look as brand new as, well, brand new comics for even this 300 year-old issue, this copy has many soft areas and problems. FVF maybe a bit better.

The reason I wouldn't call it a VF, foolkiller, is due to the corners and the page color along the edges. If the corners didn't look rounded and the top right corner didn't have that bend. It'd probably hit VF, but that's just IMO..

Brian

The book is totally without merit. Not even worth mentioning. Where's the CGC encasement surrounding it? Until that time, it's value and grade are ZERO. Whoever sold this to you non-CGCed should be slowly boiled alive.

Green line over the issue number? Am I the only one who sees it?

The book is totally without merit. Not even worth mentioning. Where's the CGC encasement surrounding it? Until that time, it's value and grade are ZERO. Whoever sold this to you non-CGCed should be slowly boiled alive.

Green line over the issue number? Am I the only one who sees it?

Hammer - just want you to know that this whole new kick you're on is quite annoying. Note that the entire time you've been on this board, I've been one of the few people who hasn't given a damn either way about you or your reputation.

Why don't you leave people who actually want to get some information alone. mad.gif

alright...Ive read this plaintive 'woe is me' approach three different threads tonight.

Youre just begging someone to answer... I wont question YOUR motives for doing it for so long, there's no point after you have explained yourself so many times. But how about when YOU look for books to buy, or see them on eBay, and they are ungraded, isnt the FIRST thing you seek to verify that they are NOT trimmed or restored?

After all, graded books get the highest prices today (often absurd prices too) , dont you agree? Why the he]] NOT get them graded, except for time, expense etc etct e tc

..and that's why it's now firm belief that a non-CGCed book, is a non-entity. Of totally no value until it is verified as a collectible and royalties to the hobby have been paid. There's no "woe is me". I now fully expect to see the same things that were expected of me before the dawn of enlightenment shined on my friggin' face. I expect to see each and every book slabbed..no exception, or I will totally dismiss it as restored and speak out against the practice of unscrupulous dealers (any that sell a raw book) trying to sell a book without first having it slabbed. It doesn't make your blood boil to see them doing that? The time and expense of grading should be a pleasureable endeavor, even if the slabbing is worth more than the book itself, not a task. No slab... no excuse... no tolerance! THAT should be the law.

..unrestored books arent "non-entities"....if we mean the same thing by the term. But if you mean unwanted "step-children"---I agree.

To me, just as important as whether the book is CGC-graded or not, is who is the seller? Not only by reputation or rumor, as the case may be (speaking generally here not at you), but again, I ask you what you would think:

If a top dollar, big-time, well-known national dealer who regularly traffics in CGC books and charges and gets the usual CGC multiples/profits associated with the grade.....If you were offerred a really nice looking UN-GRADED book, especially a KEY----- from this dealer, dont YOU immediately question/suspect/look much closer to see what you may be missing (or not being told) about the book?

Its clear to me in these cases there is a reason it's NOT in a case, or worse, no longer in it!

This is different from the various collector/sometime dealers who sell ungraded on ebay. A professional dealer knows the game too well to leave money on the table w/o a very good reason. I repeat, I rarely sell anything, but If I did sell anything high grade and key today, I d definitely get it graded hoping for the magic numbers to go for top dollar.....

Once again...what CAN be an important OVERLOOKED factor:

WHAT IS THE GREEN LINE ON THE TOP LINE OF THE BOX THAT HOUSES THE ISSUE NUMBER???? Could this be an "undiscovered" variation??? Am I the only one that sees this feature that DOESN'T appear on any other #98s????

Donut, to be fair, Hammer gave you a completely on-topic reply first... and then went about hi-jacking your thread a few posts later... I take umbrage when folks immediately hijack my threads too, but if they at least give me a real reply first, it's not as big an offense...

I too see the green line, and don't know whether that's a scanner glitch, or actually on the book. I'd put the book anywhere from 7.0 to 8.5, depending on whether the front cover is better than the rest of the book (7.0), typical of the rest of the book (7.5-8.0), or contains virtually all the flaws in the book (8.5). I've got slabbed 8.5's with comparable front covers, and slabbed 6.5's with better front covers, since CGC grades comic books not comic front covers...

But my best guess is 7.5.

Is the green line really there? Or a scanner glitch?