• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RAWDEAL28 !?! Am i about to waste my time

33 posts in this topic

So do they file 2 chargebacks or just the one for the higher amount?

To the best of my recollection, the buyer sent me $500 to hold the book and the balance of $650 days later.

The chargeback covered all the payments from that user, so the chargeback was for the total of $1,150.

The reason for the chargeback was the generic "unauthorized transaction," meaning the account holder claimed that someone else used his account. Thanks to the oh-so-convenient Paypal privacy policy, I was not able to get more information than this.

(There are a few other minor details regarding my case that demonstrate that the person who scammed me REALLY knew the ins and outs of Paypal policy and they knew EXACTLY how to game the system and time the chargeback to maximum effect. To this day, I suspect it was a Paypal insider or someone who was fed info by a Paypal insider.)

To the best of my recollection, the buyer sent me $500 to hold the book and the balance of $650 days later.

The chargeback covered all the payments from that user, so the chargeback was for the total of $1,150.

The reason for the chargeback was the generic "unauthorized transaction," meaning the account holder claimed that someone else used his account. Thanks to the oh-so-convenient Paypal privacy policy, I was not able to get more information than this.

(There are a few other minor details regarding my case that demonstrate that the person who scammed me REALLY knew the ins and outs of Paypal policy and they knew EXACTLY how to game the system and time the chargeback to maximum effect. To this day, I suspect it was a Paypal insider or someone who was fed info by a Paypal insider.)

No i don't think so. No conspiracy here. It was just another scammer. I knew it all before but just wasn't sure if they do charge backs on one payment or more.

Wow, I did not know about this type of thing. I take time payment occasionally through Paypal and have also made them through Paypal. I'm surprised the guy I'm buying a peice of OA through is allowing me to make Paypal time payments in light of this type of possible scam.

How much time does it take to know you won't be getting any chargebacks? Like 1 month, 2 months, etc? I've always wondered when I can breath a sigh of relief when receiving a large Paypal payment. I've never had a chargeback yet, but get more worried eveytime I hear about these kind of stories.

How much time does it take to know you won't be getting any chargebacks? Like 1 month, 2 months, etc? I've always wondered when I can breath a sigh of relief when receiving a large Paypal payment. I've never had a chargeback yet, but get more worried eveytime I hear about these kind of stories.

I'm not so sure there is a period where you can truly be sure you have averted disaster. I guess it depends on the issuing credit card company policy... if the source credit card company issues a chargeback to Paypal, Paypal is going to turn around and chargeback to the recipient regardless of timeframe.

In my case, I received this heart-stopping email 43 days after the transaction. The last paragraph is particularly amusing. yeahok.gif

#######

Dear Steve XXXXX,

It has come to our attention that you may be the recipient of

potentially fraudulent funds. We have initiated an investigation

into this event. In the meantime, we have placed a

pending reversal on the funds in question until the

investigation is complete. This pending reversal will

show as a deduction in your available balance. In

the meantime, you are free to continue transacting using

your PayPal account.

Transaction Date: May 12, 2003 15:18:52

Transaction Amount: $XXXX

Payor's Email: I_Net_Comics@attbi.com

If you have not delivered the goods or services related to this

transaction, we ask that you delay or stop delivery until our

investigation is complete as you may be liable for the amount

in question.

Thanks for the discussion all. I've been out all day.

I Think ZIPPER has caught this scam before it happened.

Got this email when I returned:

"If you would like I would just give you money for the trouble I really do apologize for this trouble, Im gonna send the 300, and try to send the rest through paypal. once again I am sorry about this I always try to stay on top of things purchased..please send me your paypal name so I can send the money..

Jason"

I'll email him back, tell him I will accept M.O. ONLY . If he has the funds to PAYPAL a partial, he has the funds for a M.O. If he squawks I'll be 100% pos its a scam and pull the plug on the whole thing.

Mike

P.S. is it to late for me to get my book back from the post office? tongue.gifpoke2.gif

Wow - hadn't heard about that scam before. Yes, in this case definitely insist on some form of cash/mo payment.

Curious, though, that his son "used his account" but the guy still wants to purchase the book. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif If it was me, and my kid bought the book, I'd simply apologize, offer to cover any fees, walk away from the deal, and hope that the seller isn't too much of a [embarrassing lack of self control]. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

news.gifWell, looks like I am about to get my first Neg after having 100% positive for 8years.

Multiple times I told this guy either 1 PAYPAL payment or 2 money orders(and even explained, if you have enough for a partial paypal than you have enough for a partila money order). I even sent him a link to this thread. Persistant thief.

So my question now is: Where is the link to block rawdeal28 ?

Thanks,

Mike

I'll have to admit that I didn't know this about Paypal either. I ask sellers to do time payments with me all the time and have done so with thedongerneedfood, wasaychigan, amazingspider-fan ect. I tell them the time frame i am looking at and ask if it is acceptable before i ever bid on a book. If it is acceptable and i win the book(s), then i pay in a timely manner as i promised to. I am sorry that there are scammers pulling these tricks as it gives buyers like me a bad rap. Time payments allow me to get nice books that i might not be able to afford at one time as i get paid once a month. I say to always check the feedback of a buyer requesting time payments, and never, ever send the books until they are fully paid for.

Scott

I should add that i always pay by check when making time payments. I didn't understand about chargebacks until now, so maybe that is why time payments have always worked for me. Paypal wasn't involved, timely payments were made, therefore no problems.

...and folks wonder why I don't use Paypal to buy or sell online.

Well, yeah, you have to be wary of cons, but Paypal is the greatest thing since sliced bread for transacting money on line. confused-smiley-013.gif

...and folks wonder why I don't use Paypal to buy or sell online.

Well, yeah, you have to be wary of cons, but Paypal is the greatest thing since sliced bread for transacting money on line. confused-smiley-013.gif

Sure if you don't fall victim to fraud, or have Paypal screw up your account, or.....

I'll stick with Money orders. Almost 1000 Ebay transactions since 1998 and not one of them with Paypal.