• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RAWDEAL28 !?! Am i about to waste my time

33 posts in this topic

Someone popped the BIN on my HULK 181 last night which made me happy grin.gif. After sendign an invoice I got a reply (now that I think about it, the reply was pretty quick, almost like it was automated). Here is what a guy outsmarted by his kid has to say:

"Hello, how are you I have no other way to say this, I was unaware of this purchase because my son used my account and thought I would not notice because ive been buying expensive comics lately, ok now im stuck here because I dont want to screw you is it possible that I can send you 300.00 right away through paypal, and then see what I can do about the rest for you right away I would like to try and work this out if you could be helpful in anyway i just dont want to get negative feedback, "

Am I about to chase a payment that I'll never get?

My instinct tells me Yes frown.gif

Mike

Someone popped the BIN on my HULK 181 last night which made me happy grin.gif. After sendign an invoice I got a reply (now that I think about it, the reply was pretty quick, almost like it was automated). Here is what a guy outsmarted by his kid has to say:

"Hello, how are you I have no other way to say this, I was unaware of this purchase because my son used my account and thought I would not notice because ive been buying expensive comics lately, ok now im stuck here because I dont want to screw you is it possible that I can send you 300.00 right away through paypal, and then see what I can do about the rest for you right away I would like to try and work this out if you could be helpful in anyway i just dont want to get negative feedback, "

Am I about to chase a payment that I'll never get?

My instinct tells me Yes frown.gif

Cut the bait, ban the seller from bidding on your auctions, and relist the comic. You aren't dealing with a true adult/parent here...

Jim

I would not send the book unless I got total payment. Ask him to PayPal any fees you incurred for the transaction plus any re-listing fees. Tell him if he does this, there will be no remark one way or the other. Re-list the book and hope for the best. If he doesn't, neg him.

I would not send the book unless I got total payment. Ask him to PayPal any fees you incurred for the transaction plus any re-listing fees. Tell him if he does this, there will be no remark one way or the other. Re-list the book and hope for the best. If he doesn't, neg him.

That's a great idea.

Make it simple: either he pays for the item according to the terms set forth in the auction, or he pays for the eBay fees. Neg em if he doesn't comply; use eBay's system to recover fees if applicable.

BTW, I wouldn't 'deal' (ie bend the rules) with anyone on eBay unless it was someone I already knew AND they told me prior to bidding...too many scams.

Sorry to yell, but this is really important!!

DO NOT ACCEPT PAYPAL PAYMENT IN MORE THAN ONE INSTALLMENT. This VOIDS the seller protection and you WILL be screwed if there is a chargeback.

Many scammers know this and offer to pay in several installments.

I know. It happened to me.

DO NOT ACCEPT PAYPAL PAYMENT IN MORE THAN ONE INSTALLMENT. This VOIDS the seller protection and you WILL be screwed if there is a chargeback.

In that case, ask for a $300 money order,... then relist it when you get it! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Good info zipperdude! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Am i missing something - how is the buyer trying to "scam?" Sounds like he's just had second thoughts. The "buyer" isn't asking Mike to send him the book first, right? It sounds like he's requesting time payments. That's up to Mike if he wants to do that or not, but personally I'd just tell the buyer to go away, forget the FB issue, and relist - I think Ebay will refund listing fees (or at least won't charge final value fees) in transactions which fail to close.

By no means send someone anything without it first being paid in full. That's a no-brainer!

Am i missing something - how is the buyer trying to "scam?"

He may or may not be scamming. But, the partial payment scam works like this.

1 - Buyer offers partial payment as an installment or down payment to "hold the book until I get more money in my Paypal account."

2 - Next, buyer sends remaining balance in a separate payment.

3 - Seller has been paid in full and ships book.

4 - A month later, seller gets a chargeback on the transaction.

5 - Paypal examines the transaction and determines that transaction was executed in more than one payment. This voids Seller Protection Policy.

6 - Seller is S.O.L. Paypal bangs his account for the chargeback and the book is long gone.

This is exactly how I lost a FF #1.

Sometime when you have a month or two to spare, read the fine print to all the Paypal "protection policies." 893whatthe.gif

Am i missing something - how is the buyer trying to "scam?"

He may or may not be scamming. But, the partial payment scam works like this.

1 - Buyer offers partial payment as an installment or down payment to "hold the book until I get more money in my Paypal account."

2 - Next, buyer sends remaining balance in a separate payment.

3 - Seller has been paid in full and ships book.

4 - A month later, seller gets a chargeback on the transaction.

5 - Paypal examines the transaction and determines that transaction was executed in more than one payment. This voids Seller Protection Policy.

6 - Seller is S.O.L. Paypal bangs his account for the chargeback and the book is long gone.

This is exactly how I lost a FF #1.

Sometime when you have a month or two to spare, read the fine print to all the Paypal "protection policies." 893whatthe.gif

So do they file 2 chargebacks or just the one for the higher amount?