• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM #100 Talk about a book dropping in price

16 posts in this topic

Thought you were going to link me to a 9.2 that sold for $100 or something. insane.gif

Somebody sell me a nice Fine one... cheap. grin.gif

Just saw this....

ASM #100

Very, very common book.

Still a major decrease especially since that's a BIN (not like eBay where every now and then a book sells on the cheap).

Is this another one of those common late Silver / early Bronze that's due to take another hit when the new edition of the OS guide comes out?

I notice the guide has the book listed at $250 in 9.2 which already represented a significant drop from $300 the year before. With a BIN of $625 for a 9.6 copy, does this mean the top of guide price should really be somewhere between $160 to $200 in 9.2 condition.

Bottom-line: There's just way too many of these once hot late SA / early BA books to justify the high mutiples from a few years ago for what is amounting to relatively common high grade copies of so-called semi-key books.

Just saw this....

ASM #100

Very, very common book.

Still a major decrease especially since that's a BIN (not like eBay where every now and then a book sells on the cheap).

Is this another one of those common late Silver / early Bronze that's due to take another hit when the new edition of the OS guide comes out?

I notice the guide has the book listed at $250 in 9.2 which already represented a significant drop from $300 the year before. With a BIN of $625 for a 9.6 copy, does this mean the top of guide price should really be somewhere between $160 to $200 in 9.2 condition.

Bottom-line: There's just way too many of these once hot late SA / early BA books to justify the high mutiples from a few years ago for what is amounting to relatively common high grade copies of so-called semi-key books.

Was that drop in the guide last year a result of the shift from 9.4 to 9.2 as the high grade? I can't remember whether that happened with the 34th edition or the 35th edition.

Looking at GPA though, there's no question the book has been on a gradual decline in 9.6 since 2004 though.

I hear ya about the price, but I remember when this book hit the stands, and it was and still is a big winner as a comic, if not an investment. Cool cover, great story, shocking surprise ending - just the very best of the Marvel anniversary issues along with Avengers 100 (the job done by Barry Smith in rendering everyone who had ever been an Avenger was spectacular, and the gorgeous image of the splash page and Roy Thomas' pontification about sending men to the moon have stuck with me for over 30 years).

Just saw this....

ASM #100

Very, very common book.

Was that drop in the guide last year a result of the shift from 9.4 to 9.2 as the high grade? I can't remember whether that happened with the 34th edition or the 35th edition.

Looking at GPA though, there's no question the book has been on a gradual decline in 9.6 since 2004 though.

FFB;

Strongly doubt that the shift from 9.4 down to 9.2 would have had any impact on the OS prices. In theory, the top prices should have drop to take this change into account, but if you look at all of the books on a year over year basis, virtually all of them still went up in price. I guess OS's explanation is that the prices increases would have been even more dramatic if the change from 9.4 down to 9.2 did not take place.

Took a look at prices for the Spidey #100. It was listed for $275 in 9.4 NM in the 2003 OS guide. Went up to $300 in 9.2 NM- in the 2004 guide before dropping down to $250 in the 2005 guide. This drop seems to have gone against the semi-key Spidey trend since 2005 prices went up for issues #101, #121, #122, and #129 in comparison to the 2004 guide.

I was shopping around for this issue for a month or so and saw a lot of very inexpensive issues (compared to the price guide). I ended up getting a Fine copy and then later a VF+ copy for far less than guide (but on auctions with small photographs.