• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Matrix Reloaded (no spoilers)

68 posts in this topic

A excruciatingly boring movie with lame dialogue, no plot, no story and meaningless action doesn't suddenly become a superb movie based on the next movie...

Any movie, no matter if it's part of a larger set of pictures, must stand on its own merits, otherwise it's a scam of the paying audience who devoted 2 hours of their life to watching it.

I'm confused...I thought you said you LIKED the Two Towers. tongue.gif

While we're on the topic of movies, I honestly think I'm the only one out there that liked Brotherhood of the Wolf. tongue.gif

Brian

Nope, I liked it, and definitely wouldn't put it anywhere near the dregs we're discussing here. grin.gif

Are you kidding? Brotherhood of the Wolf was great! Most people I've shown it to have enjoyed it immensely.

Between that film, Amelie and the Crimson Rivers, the French have been producing some fine mainstream films.

Speaking of films and France, I really enjoyed Brian De Palma's Femme Fatale (which is mostly set in Cannes and Paris). The opening sequence is probably the most fun I've had watching a film in a long time.

Kev

Yep...I've seen it twice...

Since this is the "no spoiler" thread, without details, I'll say is that I have definitely

wasted $7 (for the first viewing) and $5 (for the second matinee) on WORSE

movies in my day.

It's got slow parts, sure...but so does LOTR, Star Wars, heck even the Godfather

has its slow parts.

What I do like about the Matrix (both movies) is that you can have a good time

discussing the symbolism of the thing...pretty much ANYTHING you can think

of philosophy-wise is IN the movie.

It's like the "classic" movie Blade Runner...literature on the screen.

How many hours can you waste on Moby or War and Peace

while you're reading whole chapters of slow parts?

At least anything slow in a movie is much shorter...and visual.

You think it's got too much "Kung Fu"? Is that all it is? Kung Fu?

Or is it more? Is it competing A.I. programs attempting to overtake each other?

...and "Kung Fu" is just a visualization of the process...

(Wargames, anyone?)

Lots of references to other movies, religion, philosophy, technology...

it's obvious that there is a whole lot more in this movie than any "reality TV"

show can offer...and we spend many hours watching and many WEEKS

thinking about those.

If movies can cost $20,000 or $100Million to make...

but I only have to pay $7 either way...give me the $100Million movie

and I'll find something to like. Even if I'm the only one.

(Waterworld, anyone?) 27_laughing.gif

It's got slow parts, sure...but so does LOTR, Star Wars, heck even the Godfather has its slow parts.

Come on, the movie was DEAD almost an hour into it, and I've never witnessed that in any other movie. We're not talking about "slow spots", but 45+ minutes of dead air, with absolutely nothing going on but characters spouting expository gibberish.

Next to Matrix Retarded, Out of Africa had a break-neck pace. grin.gif

Come on, the movie was DEAD almost an hour into it, and I've never witnessed that in any other movie. We're not talking about "slow spots", but 45+ minutes of dead air, with absolutely nothing going on but characters spouting expository gibberish.

For some reason I immediately thought of The Blair Witch Project...

after an hour and a half all they'd done was lose the map.

Now that's $7 I wish I had back in my pocket. (And yet people loved it!)

Yeah, and some genres like horror and romance can get away with dead openings, but no way for a sci-fi or action flick. Plus, the writing of Blair Witch was like Casablanca next to the rambling incoherency of Matrix Retarded.

I say this with reservation, but Daredevil was a marvel of tight dialogue compared to Reloaded.

I think you guy miss the WHOLE point of the movie, it's about making a choice and to act upon it. Especially the dreams that he gets and the future outcomes that could happen if he so chooses to do something about it( goodevil.gif ). It alway draws back to the begining where he can alter the outcome how ever he wants. Then again it's just a popcorn movie not an Oscar acclaim.gif893applaud-thumb.gif performance......?! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

To me I give it 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif out of 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

I think you guy miss the WHOLE point of the movie, it's about making a choice and to act upon it.

Blah, blah, blah. The first Matrix movie rocked, the second one blew dead bears.

If you gave Matrix Retarded 4/5, what did you give the original, 11/5?

Blah, blah, blah. The first Matrix movie rocked, the second one blew dead bears.

So tell me Joe...... when this movie you call a "dead bears" does come out on DVD ,it won't be part of your collection or would you buy it as part of the trilogy set????? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gifmakepoint.gifgoodevil.gif

The Bourne Identity you liked???

Hahaha - dude that is quite possibly the worst movie of all time second only to MAYBE Haunted Honeymoon with Gene Wilder or XXX with Vin Deisel...

You are really hot and cold with those movies you liked. Can I assume you didn't see Bourne Identity and are just saying you liked it to be cool or something?

dude that is quite possibly the worst movie of all time second only to MAYBE Haunted Honeymoon with Gene Wilder or XXX with Vin Deisel

errr, Ubi - have you seen Transylvania 6-5000? ONLY good thing about that was a young Geena Davis in a Vampire getup.

Uhh....I actually liked it (ducks).

It had a catchy theme song and I really think Jeff Goldblum is kinda funny.

Was it on par with Naked Gun, Abbot and Costello meet the Mummy, or Forrest Gump? No...but Ithought it was funny for what it was.

I would rather watch that movie 20 times in a row without a break than the Bourne identity that I walked away from actually 5 IQ points dumber(I actually checked)

Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House! That movie rocks! Cary Grant at his finest... good list. My favorite DVDs are:

Beatles Anthology - the sound is incredible

First Blood - New reworked DVD looks great on my Hi-Def

Citizen Kane - What more can I say about the greatest movie ever !!!

The Professional - just recently rented it - the DVD looks and sounds awesome!

Unforgiven - I had the pleasure of attending the premiere in Monterey and told Mr. Eastwood the pix would win best picture! Awesome premiere...the late John Denver played a set of tunes in the parking lot before the pix! OK...I'm getting nostalgic...

DVDs that disappoint...

Blade Runner looks like crapola on my Hi-def and sounds bad too! Still a great movie though... I remember going opening night to Blade Runner and it was me and fifteen people. No one remembers that "Blade Runner" DIED at the box office. I remember that it looked and sounded awesome on that huge screen.

Other movies that died at the box office and were quite good on a second viewing:

Harold & Maude

Rocky Horror Picture Show

Bring It On - My daughter loves this film...and I've found it entertaining too!

Starman - released after ET and was a moderate hit, but not the HUGE hit the studio thought they had. Jeff Bridges deserved an Oscar for this one.

Movies that deserved to die!

Godfather 3 - Coppola really hemorraged on this one.

Practically every movie with the following words in it's titles:

2, Two, Revisted, Reloaded, Again, 3, 4, 5 or 6...Sequel-itis! Sequels are Hollywood's way to ruin the good films they accidentally made!

David S.

The Bourne Identity you liked???

As you already know from reading this thread, those picks were done tongue-in-cheek. See my real list for my DVDs at the top of the stack (not necessarily my Top 10) as the ones I pop in most often.

Here's a replay:

On a more serious note, here's a list of some of my favorite DVDs on the shelf:

Memento

The Professional

Aliens

Braveheart

Pitch Black

The Crow

Frailty

Unforgiven

Predator

Spider-man

Highlander

Gladiator

Fifth Element

The Matrix

If you don't like those, then fine, but that's a pretty good view on what type of movie I really enjoy.