• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any reports from LA?

14 posts in this topic

Was there yesterday. My first Wizard con, and it was much smaller than i expected, though i can't complain since i get in for free. I'm a SDCC vet, so i actually appreciated the small crowds (on Friday at least) and the emphasis on comics. Spent most of my time digging through the dollar comics boxes and half-price graphics, though there were some pretty good collections of SA stuff for sale. I'm just getting back into collecting back issues so i'm moving slowly and looking for bargains. Some very good prices on low-mid grade books; high grade stuff was pretty much as expected. One dealer had a great collection of old fanzines, though some of his prices were outrageously high (issues of Foom for >$50 for example). Overall, I'd have to say i was a bit disappointed given the hype, but I'll probably head back tomorrow for a few hours.

I wish I could get ahold of Kris (the collector) as some of you know...I have been wanting an Astonishing X-men signed by Whedon and Cassaday...Whedon is there right now...sigh

So, if anyone sees him (SS witness) let him know to see if he can get one for me!!!

I wish I could get ahold of Kris (the collector) as some of you know...I have been wanting an Astonishing X-men signed by Whedon and Cassaday...Whedon is there right now...sigh

So, if anyone sees him (SS witness) let him know to see if he can get one for me!!!

Plus I want to know how he did with my books.

He will let us know as soon as he can, have no worries, I would bet your life they are done!!!

He will let us know as soon as he can, have no worries, I would bet your life they are done!!!

how about we bet your life. Mine means a lot to me.

nope, already bet yours...make peace my friend before the end (hey that rhymes yay.gif)

nope, already bet yours...make peace my friend before the end (hey that rhymes yay.gif)

and just when i was getting ready to buy a car. Oh well I guess I should make out that will.

First off my impression is that Long Beach is much nicer than LA. Better neighborhood, better restaurants and better hotels.

Having driven from San Diego to LA I can tell you any person saying that they couldn't drive down to Long Beach versus driving to LA would really have some explaining to do. I'd take Long Beach traffic versus LA traffic any day of the week.

I did not see any new customers than I saw in the Long Beach show.

I did not see any new dealers that weren't at the Long Beach show.

The union workers at the LA Convention center are not as nice as the ones at the Long Beach Convention center. There were a lot of grumblings about load in.

I did very little buying which is not a good thing. I am beginning to see fewer and fewer small time dealers with keys which is a very disturbing trend. I have also noticed fewer and fewer quality collections coming to market.

Now with all that usual "Bob complaining" I did have a great show. In fact it was the best Wizard LA show I've ever had. Sold a number of keys, did a great cash/trade deal on my overpriced Giant Size X-Men #1 9.6 which by the way was even more overpriced at other dealer booths. Sold some CGC'd Spidey's and was encouraged to see that Hulk #181 (Even though common) was asked for over and over again. The usual suspects Marvel Spotlight #5 and Werewolf by Night #32 were also asked for again and again. The new one that threw me was Marvel Spotlight #32. Spider-woman? Oh well.

Overall I was very satisfied with the show and will be back next year.

thanks for the con report. Very nice...

Well... I would not travel to the West Coast for this show... San Diego, maybe even Wondercon, but LA is just not the spot I'd want to go to sitting in traffic on 405 or 5 -- or worse yet right downtown.

Even though I have a very good friend who has a house in Santa Monica, going to an LA con does not really appeal to me...

Werewolf by Night 32 -- picked up a VF copy in an LCS the other day on the cheap...

but no new books and no new keys coming to market... well... as you always say, EVERYONE'S a dealer now... so why sell to dealers? Of course my answer to that is who has time to pack, price, grade and ship all this stuff? Not me -- only in spurts. Sell in a lump sum to dealer, take money, save time and energy.