• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CAN YOU SOLVE THE MYSTERY?

25 posts in this topic

Hi guys, maybe you can help me solve a mystery. Several years ago, I purchased a composition notebook filled with cut-outs of characters from golden age comics covers. There are 37 cut-outs total, and I've been able to identify 32 of them. 5 remain a mystery, including one of Cap, one of Bucky, one of Daredevil, one of Silver Streak, and one of The Shield.

I've posted scans of the five cut-outs on my website. Just click on the link, then from the home page click on "Can you solve the mystery?'

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Jeff

www.detective27.com

AWESOME! I can see how I missed that one in the Photojournal. The cut-out is vertical in the notebook, but horizontal on the cover. I thought for sure the Cap and Bucky would be the first to be recognized. I'm pretty sure those cut-outs are from a back cover pin-up, so the Photojournal doesn't help.

Thanks very much,

Jeff

dont go overboard on me okay? I mispoke 'contest' for 'mystery'. I was taken aback a biyt though when th elink took me to your home page instead of diretcly to the mystery page. I immediately looked at your comics for sale, so cynical or not, I was still interested to see if there was anything I wanted!!

There was a recent thread here about people doing just what I joked about to you---posting "interesting info" with a link that lead to other somewhat self-promotional interests. Some were very upset and a long discussion about the merits of these links ensued.

my comment was more for their enjoyment/benefit than to chastise you for anything you may or may not have intended.!

Several years ago, I purchased a composition notebook filled with cut-outs of characters from golden age comics covers.

Wouldn't it be kick if some GA showed up on ebay with those characters cut out! Talk about going full circle!

Actually, this kid cut the stories out too. What he'd do is take, for example, all his More Funs and cut out all the Spectre stories. He'd cut the borders off each page, then staple each story together. Essentially, he was creating Archive Editions!

Along with the notebook, I purchased a couple of early Starman stories cut in this fashion from Adventure Comics.

Hey Aman, sorry I went overboard on you. I didn't see those early threads you mentioned, and I completely mistook your comments.

Are there any Timely experts out there who can figure out where the Cap and Bucky cut-outs come from?

Wow, this is working out great, and how appropriate that Shield should figure out where the Shield cut-out came from. This cut-out actually appears twice in the notebook, about ten pages apart, so the kid cut up two copies of Blue Ribbon Comics #16, the first appearance of Captain Flag.

That leaves Daredevil and the Cap and Bucky cut-outs. I'm pretty sure the Cap and Bucky are from the same pin-up, so whoever finds that will be killing two birds with one stone.

Thanks again. You guys are pretty good...

Hmmm...the plot thickens. Pep #18 and Blue Ribbon #16 came out one month apart. Is it possible that MLJ used the same pin-up on the back cover of both comics? That would explain why the kid had the same cut-out in two different places in the notebook. I assumed that he had two copies of the same book, but maybe he had the Blue Ribbon and the Pep. Any thoughts?