• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bagging a Comic For CGC Submission

15 posts in this topic

This is a bit of a basic question. I want to send a comic in for grading, and there is a mention (in CGC "shipping book" link) of the use of poly and myar bags. What's the difference between these two types of bags?

There is also mention of not using bags w/ a flap on top. All of my collecting was back in the '80s, and the bags we used had these flaps (I also went to a local comic store the other day, and they were puzzled when I mentioned wanting a bag w/o a flap on top).

Any thoughts/comments? **thanks in advance!**

Ask your LCS for a "Mylar". IF he doesn't stock it or know what it

means, [shudder], head on down to the DEALER SELLING section

and look up Comic Supply. He'll hook you up.

Do you fold the flap inside the bag to seal, or just fold it and have it outside the bag? At the moment I have tape on it---so I reckon I should remove that. Back in the "old days" (can't believe I have to say that now!), it was common practice to tape the flap on the back.

I tape them for my collection, but when sending them to cgc I remove the tape and just let the flap fly free. I wouldn't put the flap in the bag because of the potential to damage the comic. Just pack them tightly between a couple of pieces of cardboard and send 'em off.

I thought CGC said it was cool to use a single piece of tape if the book isn't in a standard flap-less Mylar.

..we've all witnessed Newt poke his eye out with a milkshake straw,...you really want to put tape on that bag?....

Use a cheap polybag with the correct size backing board and be sure to use 1 piece of tape....my take is that if you use cheap bags that they are easier to remove the book...hence less chance of damage removing it...the reason for the tape is so that the book doesn't drop out when Newt unpacks the books upside down.... grin.gif