• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doctor Strange #15 - key?

13 posts in this topic

So should Doctor Strange: Sorcerer Supreme #15 be worth more considering it was a controversial issue? Does anyone really care enough for this to warrant a discussion?

For those not aware, the cover image was swiped from an Amy Grant album cover without permission. Amy Grant filed suit against Marvel, which was settled out of court.

1156978-3645_4_15.jpg

1156978-3645_4_15.jpg.bde5be2e2f263fb8409c26a8a1449aaa.jpg

I actually like some of the stuff in the Sorcerer Supreme series. The Books of The Vishanti backup features that ran for about 20 issues were interesting reads, giving a history of magic in the Marvel Universe. Still, the series as a whole was not very strong. When Dr. Strange spent a year in a "k-hole" after the dreadful Siege of Darkness crossover and then turned into a John Lennon "hipster", this comic really jumped the shark, and each consecutive issue became an instant quarter bin addition. I guess you could argue that all 90 issues could be considered quarter bin additions, but I'd still shell out some decent moolah for the CGC 10.0 copy of issue #1. Anyone know who owns this book?

The Amy Grant lawsuit issue has been listed on some sites for $5 to $10 because of the controversy, but since so much time has gone by and the series is colder than a well-diggers backside, I don't think anyone is gonna pay those prices for it. Perhaps the upcoming Dr. Strange animated movie MIGHT all of a sudden make this issue a hot-hard-to-find collectors item. Doubt it highly but, just in case, I have a few copies available if anyone is interested!

As for Dr. Strange in the 90's sucking: pretty much true. Notable exceptions are the lovely Tony Harris illustrated "Flight of Bones" miniseries that came out at the tail end of the decade, and a fun "retro" crossover in "Untold Tales of Spider-Man: Strange Encounter". I also loved the Dr. Strange vs. Batman issue of the All Access mini-series.

Does anyone remember in the early 80s when the dracula /dr. strange issues were mildly hot? Or at least that's what someone conned me into thinking (I was young and dumb then... I don't remember what I got snookered into trading for them). The covers were pretty cool. Anyone want to post some?

I thought Doc started his descent after Paul Smith left. Those Stern (at least I think it was Stern writing) issues with Smith on art where he goes to the Dark Dimension to help Clea were just fantastic stuff.