• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sandman Cover - Am I missing something here?

60 posts in this topic

Where in the "middle" of the frame? The description says

"The piece is approximately 8"x11" -- photography, collage -- with paint used around the border".

Just looking hard at it for "original art", and the stiff price tag.

Then again it is Sandman, and it is from 1989.

Does anyone know what others have sold for?

Just trying to figure this one out, maybe I will get educated in the process.

Thanks to all.

Where in the "middle" of the frame? The description says

"The piece is approximately 8"x11" -- photography, collage -- with paint used around the border".

Just looking hard at it for "original art", and the stiff price tag.

Then again it is Sandman, and it is from 1989.

Does anyone know what others have sold for?

Just trying to figure this one out, maybe I will get educated in the process.

Thanks to all.

Not all art is pen and ink or painting. Have you ever been to a museum?

I could go on and on about the significance of this piece or the prices even McKean commissions have been commanding recently, but there's plenty said about the piece in Dust Covers, or in the item description.

Is every cover out there for everyone? Of course not. Personally, I certainly feel it is art, and it is worth it.

I do want to say something about "flipping it". I think it's pretty clear I'm a big Sandman fan and that I really enjoy Sandman art. I've decided to make some changes in my collection, to which I think I'm entitled, as are we all, to do as we will with our collections. If I want to buy other types of art, but have a lot of funds tied up here, I think this is a sensible and fiscally responsible solution.

My interest in Sandman is not going away, but my singleminded focus on it doesn't make me happy as an OA collector. I have other interests, and want my collection to reflect that.

J

PS Supposedly the covers to #1 and #2 were sold together by one of the major dealers several years ago for $100K for the set.

it doesn't sound like you are earnestly trying to figure it out or get educated. it sounds like you don't like the price and want someone to justify it to you. next time you find a price you don't like, move along and don't insult the seller.

893applaud-thumb.gif

I do want to say something about "flipping it". I think it's pretty clear I'm a big Sandman fan and that I really enjoy Sandman art. I've decided to make some changes in my collection, to which I think I'm entitled, as are we all, to do as we will with our collections. If I want to buy other types of art, but have a lot of funds tied up here, I think this is a sensible and fiscally responsible solution.

My interest in Sandman is not going away, but my singleminded focus on it doesn't make me happy as an OA collector. I have other interests, and want my collection to reflect that.

That makes perfect sense Jon, and of course most of us here sell parts of our collection in order to purchase other things. It is the nature of most collections that they tend to evolve rather than just grow. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I wasn't criticising you at all for selling the piece and should have added a tongue.gif at the end of my previous post.

Good luck with the sale, it is a very striking and unique piece. thumbsup2.gif

That makes perfect sense Jon, and of course most of us here sell parts of our collection in order to purchase other things. It is the nature of most collections that they tend to evolve rather than just grow. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I wasn't criticising you at all for selling the piece and should have added a tongue.gif at the end of my previous post.

Good luck with the sale, it is a very striking and unique piece. thumbsup2.gif

Thank you. I really appreciate it! Stay tuned, and I hope to be posting some nice DC hero art this year! One Alex Ross piece just isn't enough wink.gif

Best,

J

Years ago when I used to work at a comic shop,I would have to say that more non collectors were turned on to comics by this title more than any other.It pushed the boundaries assuredly.I was always impressed by the covers and the way that they seemed to shed a strange light on the primal forces that conspire to make life the spectacle that it is.I would have to say,as an artist myself,that it would be most difficult to create the bizzare,visceral images on those Sandman covers with a handful of the mundane as was done there.Whether it'll fetch 12k,I don't know.If it were auctioned in the best of venues,with the right touch of marketing,I have no doubt that it would fetch some serious coin.Also,I think it looks cool.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

p.s.It's none of my business,but what praytell,would you replace that piece with?

Well, I don't think I'm going after a direct replacement, but as I posted elsewhere I'd like a really great representative Batman cover, a great Green Lantern cover, and am also on the lookout for an additional Kingdom Come page. It just doesn't make sense to me that I'm as big a Batman and GL fan as I am and have no OA on the wall to show for it!

Dustin the Bold,

it doesn't sound like you are earnestly trying to figure it out or get educated. it sounds like you don't like the price and want someone to justify it to you. next time you find a price you don't like, move along and don't insult the seller.

well . . . . .

Actually when I saw this auction come up I said to myself

"Wow that seems like a lot of money for a Sandman cover", especially when it appears to me, from the description that most of the cover is a photograph.

I was wondering, "Am I missing something here?"

That is why I asked "Where is the art?" AND

Is this a justifiable price for a Sandman cover, which I do not collect, but have always liked the images?

So if you feel I insulted the seller, I am sorry, sorry that YOU did not understand my post and feel the need to attack me for asking so. Check out my follow up post (prior to your post) & as you can see that I had additional sincere questions to ask and expressed thanks to those who could help.

Not all art is pen and ink or painting. Have you ever been to a museum? .

Rob, I aint ever be in no museeuum. insane.gif

You are not serious right? Having actually worked in a photography museum, and no I am not making that up, I do see photograpy & motion pictures as fine art also.

That was not the point of my post, I was wondering EXACTLY what the art was on this cover.

NEXT -

Which leads me to a question since the seller (Hi!) is on list here.

If you would be so kind to respond, exactly what is the make up of his cover?

Could you explain a bit more how it was created, or what media is used on it?

Thanks in advance you can take the time to do so.

Good luck with your auction also!

Additionally, has anyone seen what other Sandman covers sell for?

Thanks again. And not trying to flame anyone here.

Jeesh.

PS - Looking forward to those DC auctions

When you mentioned Green Lantern,for some reason it made me recall an interview with Gil Kane several years ago in Comic Book Marketplace magazine in which he discussed his cover "recreations".The article featured shots of several of these and the one that really struck me was GL # 8 (first 5700 AD story).It was not an exact duplicate but a revitalized(if that's possible 27_laughing.gif) and more contemporary take on the earlier composition.It was staggering!Mr.Kane insisted on doing all of his "recreations" in this fashion.Now THAT would look good on YOUR wall.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

p.s. I wish I could put my hand on my copy and I'd post it.Maybe eventually.

NEXT -

Which leads me to a question since the seller (Hi!) is on list here.

If you would be so kind to respond, exactly what is the make up of his cover?

Could you explain a bit more how it was created, or what media is used on it?

Thanks in advance you can take the time to do so.

Good luck with your auction also!

Additionally, has anyone seen what other Sandman covers sell for?

I'm no authority on McKean or his process, but I can speak to this cover itself. Apparently, McKean thinks of this as a collage, and filled his living room with interesting items, then brought the subject (Neil Gaiman) in to pose. Obviously, the photograph doesn't look like it was shot straight away, so I imagine he used some techniques in the development process to achieve the desired effects. (I'm no photographer, so I don't know what processes those may be) He then pasted the photograph on some paper, ripped it along it's edges, then pasted it onto some other paper. He then used white paint around the border to achieve a "brushed" effect, which you can see when you look at the published cover itself.

As to what I know about Sandman cover pricing -- I was told by the dealer who sold covers #1 and #2 that he sold them as a set for $100K. An "average" Sandman cover is in the $4K-$6K range, though they mostly change hands privately and a good example hasn't been in public for awhile. If you flip through all the Sandman covers, only about 10 or so (of 75) have Morpheus on them in any form. (it's kind of subjective with Sandman) Only 4 really have him "featured" prominently on the cover, and of those 4, McKean reports that #11 was stolen from him. So this specific cover is one of only just a few saleable Sandman covers prominently featuring Morpheus. McKean is now into directing feature films so that ostensibly makes him all the more desirable an artist to own a piece by.

Thanks for your interest.

J

He's been circulating this piece for sale for the last 2 months, with no takers within the art community, no he's hoping he's going to get some random insufficiently_thoughtful_person to shell out $12k buying it.

Yes the piece is heavily over priced, and yes this guy is trying it on!

He's been circulating this piece for sale for the last 2 months, with no takers within the art community, no he's hoping he's going to get some random insufficiently_thoughtful_person to shell out $12k buying it.

Yes the piece is heavily over priced, and yes this guy is trying it on!

I've been trying to trade the cover for other Sandman art for the last couple months, (as it has always been my preference to trade it) but have not offered it for sale, which is certainly my perogative. You will find no posts on the L or on here until this recent Ebay auction. I only just put the cover into my trade/sale gallery a couple weeks ago...

Also, since you claim to have so much insight into my actions and intent (which you don't) you would know what I paid for it, and would know that I wasn't looking to make a bundle on this.

I am not looking for a "random insufficiently_thoughtful_person" -- I am trying to broaden my search for a buyer, as not all Sandman/McKean fans are on the L, or on this forum.

On a related note, where is your hate coming from?