• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WWLA Sketch Fest '06

12 posts in this topic

While the convention itself was less than spectacular (may have something to do with my first one being SDCC last year 893scratchchin-thumb.gif ) it was a good time to pick up some sketches from artists' whose lists are hard to get on at SDCC. I didn't get terribly varied on the character, but it's fun to see how different artists see the same idea.

First up is Billy Tucci. I've been trying to get a Mary Marvel for him since SDCC last year. While I'm not a Shi fan I do love his art. It was worth the wait. Even my wife wants to hang this one up...

MaryMarvel-Tucci2.jpg

Next is Aaron Lopresti. I wanted a Mary Marvel from him, but I had already given out all my reference material for her so I had him do Namora instead. I wasn't disappointed. I will be getting Mary done by him someday after seeing this one...

Namora-Lopresti2.jpg

The ever popular Ethan Van Sciver is up. One of the main reasons I went to this con was to get a picture from Ethan. It was hard to track him down and due to the lines I didn't think I was going to be able to get anything from him. Thankfully I didn't give up. I caught him as he was about to leave the Artists Alley. He wasn't sure he could fit me in, but put me on the list. He got to mine on Sunday around 3pm. As he was finishing a couple of other artists had come over to talk to him and all were impressed with it. I thought it wasn't bad insane.gif

MaryMarvel-VanSciver2.jpg

And here we have Buzz. Buzz was the first person I requested a picture from and he was the last one to be done. He's got a unique style and it makes Psylocke look amazing...

Psylocke-Buzz2.jpg

Mike Miller is next. I first saw his art on "Hedge Knight" (a short story from George R.R. Martin based on his "A Song Of Fire And Ice" series) and he's currently working on projects for Alias publishing. His detail is incredible and he's prices were by far the lowest... so I got two. First Mary Marvel (see a theme here?)..

MaryMarvel-Miller2.jpg

...and then he did Namora for me...

Namora-Miller2.jpg

Sean Chen. Last year I had him do a picture of Mary Marvel vs. Supergirl. This year I decided for a solo shot of Mary...

MaryMarvel-Chen2.jpg

I realize it's not a ton of pics, but a few of the artists I wanted something from (Manupal, Middleton, Shaw, and Adam Hughes) were already booked up by the time I got to them.

Hope you at least liked looking at them.

I got a really nice sketch from Billy Tucci also I was the first one on his list it helps when you are staying at the same hotel as him. I was the first on middletons list (all I wanted was a simple head sketch of X-23) and he didn't get to mine. I also got a mike turner sketch ( it is a nice head sketch of fathom) I also got a nice sketch from tim sale ( one of the nicer ones he did) of batman.

Yeah... I have a bit of a soft spot for Mary. The GA girls just tend to look more girls unlike the modern characters that look like WWF girls that are all muscle, fake boobs, man hands. I also have a thing for brunettes in skirts...

I am starting to like the idea of Namora sketches as well. Most of the artists are happy to draw her because they haven't done her before so there's a little more effort on it then say a batman sketch.

wow, liking that Tucci sketch

nice job 893applaud-thumb.gif

To me, she's a little too cutesy but an awesome sketch, nonetheless. I really like how Ethan handled the lightning motif. Sean Chen's, to me, is the best out of this lot of MM's. Now, the Namora and Psylocke sketches, those would be tough to judge. They are seriously good. cloud9.gif

If you look carefully, aside from the maniacal smile, she also appears older than the other MM's. Which, could be a statement about how MM and the other Marvels are more "Eternal" so to speak but I prefer the more youthful portrayals. Looking forward to MM's appearance in the Justice League Unlimited series, in case there are any Mary Marvel fans out there.