• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If you could have only one book or complete story what would it be??

58 posts in this topic

Single issue - Batman the Killing Joke. I don't know how many times I've read that book - and I will pull it out again (even though I have tons of other books in my collection I haven't read . tongue.gif)

Good call on Killing Joke, Hog. A great single issue! For me, if I had to pick one story, it's be pretty hard to choose between V for Vendetta or Watchmen.

Hmmm.....Killing Joke, V, and Watchmen.....does anyone else see a pattern????

Chris

Justice League of America 100-102

The Seven Soldiers of Victory Saga,...was a great summer, and really opened my eyes about how many forgotten heroes there were from the Golden age.

Jonny D.

either Fantastic Four 36-50 (the greatest 14 months in the history of comics, in my opinion) OR Superman Annual 11, the Alan Moore Superman story - which is FABULOUS. Go and read it!

If you could have only one book or complete story what would it be??

Either ASM #121-#122 or Daredevil #181. There's something about these epic Marvel "love and death" stories...

Gene

Don't think any work of art in any medium feels like the first time every time, but in comics, the closest to it for me is Amazing Fantasy 15. The spider-powers alone aren't the magic...Pete's personality alone isn't the magic...the circumstances of his getting bit by the spider aren't the magic...the emotional rush and jokey persona he takes on when he wears the costume isn't the magic, but it's probably the biggest part of it...the killing of his uncle and subsequent desire for justice isn't entirely the magic, although it's another big part. But when you take all of those facets of Spider-Man and put them together, they add up to the best and most original character Stan Lee ever created.

So phrasing the question to allow for either 1 book or "complete" story opens it up quite a bit. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

How shall we define a complete story-- Would Swamp Thing 21-64 qualify? Miracleman 1-16? I'd be tempted to say Watchmen in this category, but instead I'll go with one not yet mentioned: Daredevil: Born Again.

Now if we limit it to 1 book? Well, Legion #300 is an interesting choice (makes me want to pull that issue out of storage; as I recall, a great anthology of the best Legion artists: Sherman, Cockrum, & were Grell & Swan included? can't remember 893blahblah.gif). I'd be tempted to go with one of the anthology books like Detective 443 (100 Page Super Spectacular with Goodwin&Simonson's Batman/Manhunter, Ditko's Creeper, Golden Age Spectre, Toth Golden Age GL, Batman & Robin by Jerry Robinson ooo.gif), but that's not really 1 story, so instead I'll go with another book un-mentioned so far: Kirby's "The Pact" from New Gods #7.

Cheers,

Z.

I think I am well out of the definition of distortion...

Point #1 : Two thing came in the mail for me today

a) My unemployment check for $295.00

b) A $450.00 book I bought earlier this week from Metropolis

Can someone rationalize this and make me feel better?

Jonny D. 893whatthe.gif

Single issue:

ASM 248 (for "The Kid who collected Spider-Man")

Runners-up:

1. Fantastic Four 257 (Doctor Doom in Latveria by Byrne)

2. Batman: The Killing Joke by Moore and Bolland

Single storyline:

Marvels 1-4, 0 by Busiek and Ross

(so I can think about all those great SA Marvel stories)

Runners-up:

1. Kingdom Come 1-4 by Waid and Ross

(hours of fun playing identify the characters)

2. Cerebus 26-50 'High Society' by Dave Sim

3. Swamp Thing 21-30, Annual 3 by Moore, Bissette and Totleben

(for ruminations on existance, the earth and how we treat it, the nature of evil and the afterlife)

4. The League of Extraordinary Gentleman (1st series) 1-6 by Moore and O'Neil