• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Great boneheaded comics shopping mistakes of all time!

59 posts in this topic

Aww poor Bugaboo.. icon_cry.gif

EDIT: Although oddly enough looking back he does actually have a point, you just insulted him after asking him to not act like himself up in the Water Cooler forum

Brian

This coming from the queen of "stop the insults". Typical.

My apologies, Bug, I thought you had a sense of humor. I've changed it. I'm sorry that I hurt your feelings.

-- Joanna

You didn't hurt my feelings.......I like the insults in posting back and forth. But for someone that throws her hissy fit about it in the water cooler and then does it herself......well......I think you know where you can put your opinion.

Okay, I'll explain it. It was a parody of the insult posts. I thought hammer would enjoy it if I parodied his old style of 'rant'. In an effort to broaden the scope, I brought in a couple of other posters who I figured had enough of a sense of humor that they could catch the intent. Obviously, I really messed up in your case, because the intention was completely lost for you. For that I'm sorry. You obviously thought I was being serious because you equated what I considered a silly parody post with the real insults being thrown around the water cooler. I do feel badly about this, Bug, and will make sure I never try to play around or act a little silly if you are part of the discussion, without specifically letting you know what's going on.

-- Joanna

You didn't hurt my feelings.......I like the insults in posting back and forth. But for someone that throws her hissy fit about it in the water cooler and then does it herself......well......I think you know where you can put your opinion.

Okay, I'll explain it. It was a parody of the insult posts. I thought hammer would enjoy it if I parodied his old style of 'rant'. In an effort to broaden the scope, I brought in a couple of other posters who I figured had enough of a sense of humor that they could catch the intent. Obviously, I really messed up in your case, because the intention was completely lost for you. For that I'm sorry. You obviously thought I was being serious because you equated what I considered a silly parody post with the real insults being thrown around the water cooler. I do feel badly about this, Bug, and will make sure I never try to play around or act a little silly if you are part of the discussion, without specifically letting you know what's going on.

-- Joanna

Don't worry about Bug..Joanna! He's just being a dink as usual! insane.gif

Joanna, I don't have a problem with anyone calling me anything in here (so I went back and edited my post in question). It's no secret that I've been called some pretty bad things up in the Water Cooler. I just thought it odd that you attempted to chew me out in the WC for this and then launched a jab down here. That (mistakenly perceived) double standard seemed a bit odd. Oh well......maybe I should just drop the insults alltogether up there.........nah, that wouldn't be any fun. Launch away with your insults......I can take it.......::: punches himself in the chest and fights back a tear :::

****newbie question alert****

Is there a place to see the going rate of slabbed books like that? Or is are prices just plucked out of the air? What are the criteria for pricing a slabbed book?

How do you know what constitutes an outrageous price?

****end newbie question alert******

Thanks

Hi, this is my first post. I've been lurking for a couple of weeks but this thread caught my attention. I'll tell you my biggest comic buying mistake.

About six or seven years ago I was in a comic store in Ca. somewhere near Disney. I spotted a copy of Avengers #4 in the bin with a price of $50 on it. I pull it out of the bag and flip through it "hm, this baby is in about Fine condition, what the heck is it doing in the bin instead of up on the wall?" Thinking I found a great deal I plop down my hard earned $$.

Later on I'm reading the book and notice it doesn't have a price on the cover. I tracked it down as a Golden Books comic/record reprint. @#$%$! instead of getting a great deal on a great classic book, I seriously overpaid for a reprint. I still have the book as a reminder to make sure I know what I'm buying!

dave h makepoint.gif

Mine wasnt' to bad of a mistake. I was probably 12 or so, but it was when I first started collecting. This book could have been maybe my 3 or 4th book I had ever bought. We were in (the now defunct) South Town Mall. Place is a ghost town now..... but anyhow, they had a bunch of dealers in the halls with comics, cards and other assorted collectables. I begged my mom to let me stay and look through this guys boxes. I was flipping through, truly not knowing what I was looking for. Then I saw it. Wolverine #1. I was like wow! I knew this was worth something....and the price tag...$2.50. I begged my mom to buy it for me....she did. I was ecstatic. I read it and it wasn't a bad story. Book was in descent condition. Probably VF. So I decide a few years later to look up the price. It was still in the original bag and board when I bought it. So I decide to look it up and I find it listed as $25. I was like cool...then I look a little closer down below and I find listed at $2.50 "Save the Tiger", I was like odd, that is what is on the cover of this book. AH [!@#%^&^], it is that book!

Almost as good is when I found 3 copies of the New Mutants #87 in my boxes. I thought I had something but something didn't strike me right and I was suspicious..... turns out, Marvel's fackered up and their idea of doing 2nd prints was to put gold in the cover and not mention it inside like they used to! BASTIGES!

-Jeremy-

I think I've got you all beat on this one.

Early in my collecting days (1974-5), my brother and I decided to really get some decent back issues by saving our allowances, pooling the proceeds and placing one "big" order to Robert Bell, one of the biggest mail-order dealers, out of Hauppage (sp?) NY. After many months, we had $40 accumulated... which for us was a lotta dough.

Bell was well known for having nigh-to-ridiculous prices for the time - he'd charge about 90-120% of guide at a time when most charged 60-80%. But he "guaranteed" that all books were in "NM to Mint." Even considering the evolution of the grading process, he was pretty true to his word; VF+ was the lowest I think I ever saw from him, and that was a rare slip.

So we're looking through the little pink catalog Mr. Bell would send you for 25 cents and an SASE, trying to decide how to allocate our $40. I still have the same copy of the catalog, sans cover, in my collection somewhere, with notes about which books we decided to get. We got some great deals of course, by today's prices, but we wanted to get a fair number of comics, so we spread it out: $2 each for ASM 25 and 26 in NM, $6 for DD #2 in NM, $3 for TTA #39 or 40 , etc.

What did we pass up?

- DD #1 in NM for $15

- AF #15 in NM for $40

- ASM #1 in NM for $35

- FF #1 in NM for $50

- Hulk #1 in NM for $25 or 30

....okay, I'm getting all verklempt now... hope yer happy!

I think I've got you all beat on this one.

Early in my collecting days (1974-5), my brother and I decided to really get some decent back issues by saving our allowances, pooling the proceeds and placing one "big" order to Robert Bell, one of the biggest mail-order dealers, out of Hauppage (sp?) NY. After many months, we had $40 accumulated... which for us was a lotta dough.

I remeber him..I used to buy books from him too in the early 70's..and remeber the other guy...Howard D. Rogofsky?...I bought a Nm justice league for $40.00 and a Nm aquamon for $25.00...my father almost beat me black and blue when he fouind out.

Jonny D.