• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

All is Well on the CGC Boards...

69 posts in this topic

anyone notice things have been "pretty rosy" around here the last 1-2 months or so?

i think mid-way through 2005, the morale on the boards began to take a hit. we had a few defections. there was the "pressing" issues, the Friesen debacle, then in August - the biggest scandel to hit - Ewertgate, followed by several very noteworthy threads describing the inconsistencies and/or exploitation of CGC grading (e.g. Boy 17 from CGC 4.0 --> 9.0). i'd say morale was at an all-time low roughly around December 2005. many long-time boardies described the forums as "not fun anymore". incidentally, i'd say the "turning poing" essentially occurred when KrazyKat was banned. i mean - that event really generated discussion - since it was something we all had opinions on - it galvanized us into two camps, but two mutually-respecting camps. (as well, we were rid of that pestering cat...) after that, things started to rebound.

beginning early 2006, i think the Boards have come around again. we've had a great bronze-age Cover thread (thanks to Jbud), and are mid-way through a great SA cover threaed (thanks to Mica and ComicBookguy). i'm sure i'm not the only one that has noticed a surge in popularity/quality of the GA thread (i personally think it benefited from all the fallout going on in Comics General - since many of us retreated to there to get away from all the scandel). currently - we have some very active threads, we have newbies chiming in. heck - we even have our token crash thread going on (thanks to Delek with noteworthy contribution from JC tongue.gif ) - no CGC board is complete without one of those.

(as an aside, how about this idea: if a crash thread can be conducted with civility on these boards, then the health/morale of the boards is well. how is that for food-for-thought?)

are the boards "fun" again?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

'Tis but the calm before yet another storm, I'm sure. It's true though, that the boards have become less flame and graemlin filled than they were.

Plus the marketplace lately has really taken off - nothing bonds Forumites better than a transaction...

yay.gifheadbang.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gifstooges.gif27_laughing.gifgrin.giftongue.gifmakepoint.gifinsane.gifgossip.gif

I think the tighter reign Arch is imposing on shills is having a very positive affect. cloud9.gif

I was thinking about this last night. Before my leave from the boards the shills would ruin almost any good post. But I have seen the help Arch has done on the shills.

Standing ovation, 893applaud-thumb.gif its great to be back on the boards!

The scandals seem to come on a quarterly basis. As such, remember that Q2 2006 begins in a few weeks. Given the number of nefarious actions taking place behind the scenes in this hobby, I'd place the odds of a new controversy popping up (with a resultant breakdown in civility here) within the next three months at very close to even.

(Of course, one could always go back and rehash the Schmell incident from January. Was that thing ever resolved fully? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif That would get some fur flying. devil.gif)

They are a blast right now. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Who's your avatar? Is that "Nightwing"? I think that kind of speaks for itself . . . insane.gif

Care to explain to those of us that haven't had our coffee?