• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help me figure out which key book to buy

43 posts in this topic

Without question, I'd go for the Flash 137. You'd be getting a scarcer book in an investment grade. FF 48 is worthwhile if you have it in 8.5 or higher imho. Too many copies of it out there and serious interest in the book isn't there in a "lower" graded book.

Flash 137 is a cool comic book. And rarer in VF than FF 48. It's the return of Vandal Savage in the Silver Age. I read it as a reprint in a 100pager.

flash137r.jpg

Awesome book!!! Go with the Flash. thumbsup2.gif

Flash #137 reintroduces the JSA. Buying a 7.5

gets you a top 50 census copy.

While FF 48 is a rather key book,a 7.5 would be one of 100s.

Next major show you go to-see which book is

more in abundence.

No one has asked why ff48 is so abundant.......because it is a great key book....I collect dc and I couldn't have told you before this thread what flash 137 was....i guess if you like it, get it. How about going to a comic con and go to a dealers booth with both covers on the front table, the ff48 would sell all day long, and the flash would be a wall flower. Just because something is rarer, doesn't make it a better buy...

No one has asked why ff48 is so abundant.......because it is a great key book....I collect dc and I couldn't have told you before this thread what flash 137 was....i guess if you like it, get it. How about going to a comic con and go to a dealers booth with both covers on the front table, the ff48 would sell all day long, and the flash would be a wall flower. Just because something is rarer, doesn't make it a better buy...
Nicely put. And no disrespect to Flash. confused-smiley-013.gif

No one has asked why ff48 is so abundant.......because it is a great key book....

Warehouse find. gossip.gif

If you want to own both someday, buy the Flash now. The FF 48 will ALWAYS be around at every con, in many shops, and in about 50 eBay auctions at any given time.

You're joking,aren't you?

If not,please tell me just what DC titles you collect?

Better yet,please point me to the dealers that have HG

Flash #137s sitting around not selling? screwy.gif

How about going to a comic con and go to a dealers booth with both covers on the front table, the ff48 would sell all day long, and the flash would be a wall flower.

Quite probably true ... but the Flash is a better cover. I never really liked that FF cover.

How about going to a comic con and go to a dealers booth with both covers on the front table, the ff48 would sell all day long, and the flash would be a wall flower.

Quite probably true ... but the Flash is a better cover. I never really liked that FF cover.

FF 48 has a great story but the cover doesn't compare well to the Flash 137.

FF #48 hasn't been a "hot" book for years.Almost every dealer has several copys,most of which are available well below guide.I would not look for much appreciation in the near or long term.

On the other hand,The JSA is hot.Hotter than ever before in my lifetime.When you take this,plus the absolute scarceness of these

1963 DCs,it screams BUY.

Totally subjective statements.

Personally I think that FF 48 is one of the greatest comic book covers of all time. And yes, I am serious. sumo.gif

Totally subjective statements.

As are ... oh, say ... 99.98% of the posts around here. tongue.gif

When I was tracking slab prices a couple of years ago, I was incessantly amazed at the coin dropped on that FF 48, despite the clear abundance of copies. As far as the importance of that Flash, well, it's about as important as any given issue of The Many Loves of Dobbie Gillis compared to FF 48, if you'd ask me. To that I'll agree.

I wish the guy who asked the question'd come back and let us know what he did with our bickerings, I mean, advice.

Without question, I'd go for the Flash 137. You'd be getting a scarcer book in an investment grade. FF 48 is worthwhile if you have it in 8.5 or higher imho. Too many copies of it out there and serious interest in the book isn't there in a "lower" graded book.

i completly disagree...FF 48 from 6.5 to 8.0 have been having for more than 1 year intense bidding/hunting...i know i've been watching them closely!!!

as far as investisement goes i can't say anything because i don't know the numbers of Flash...but since comics are meant to be read/enjoyed, there's no change Flash can go near the quality of the surfer/galactus saga!!! cloud9.gif

oh and FF 48 will always have alot of people looking for it... thumbsup2.gif

regards

too bad comics aren't just a cover... grin.gif

But when you slab a comic,all you have is a cover and an investment.

I love when folks say they bought a slabbed book because it had a great story-line.

FF#48 in 8.0

Overstreet #33-$697

Overstreet #35-$451(-$246)

Flash #137 in 8.0

Overstreet #33-$308

Overstreet #35-$318(+$10)

Now,when it comes to which comic has a better cover,I'd go with the FF. But as an investment,I see little reason why FF #48 will reverse the current trend and rise in value.just too many HG copys around and no longer a huge demand.

Too many high grade copies being fabricated over the last couple of years.

Red

That may be a part of the equation as well,but there are hundreds,if not thousands of HG FF#48s to begin with.

As late as the late 80s,Joe Koch had 100s that he obtained with the Bob Bell Collection,so I'd assume Gary Dolgoff had many as well,since they split the collection.

If memory serves,Max Seeley used to claim to have mucho many as well,as did Bob Cresthol.

Now,if you were looking for a low grade copy to READ,I'd be all over the Ff #48,one of my favorite comics of al-time. But as an investment-no way.