• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I would hate to have this Double cover

31 posts in this topic

What would CGC "say" concerning a double-cover removal? Is removing the crappy outer cover a "form" of restoration? Could the book possibly get a "qualified" lable?

What would be the case if the outer cover was removed?

Chris

Just basing this on common sense, but I feel an outer cover can be removed without any evidence of restoration. So, What would CGC say?

Nothing, 'cause they would have no way of knowing.

(I know what Darth's going to do, but I'm not telling) grin.gif

If the outer cover of a book with a really bad outer cover and good/great inner one is removed carefully before being submitted...I would think CGC would have no idea it was a double cover book in the first place (therefore they would not give the book anything but a blue Universal Grade label).

Is that an "if I told you more I'd have to kill you" yes... or is it an "I'd tell you but I'm afraid Darth's head would explode at the very thought" yes?

Both.

My FF 169 is a double cover. I bought it LONG ago before the variants were known to everybody as variants - it was priced as a "double cover". I knew I was getting a variant as well, so I was happy. He was happy. Everybody was happy.

curious...are both covers sporting the variant price? and where do you keep this? tongue.gif

has anybody seen any double covers for the comics that have came out in the last year or so?it seems all the ones with double covers are older. tongue.gif

Yea...my girlfriend's sister picked up a copy of the modern Dr. Strange #1 with a double cover from a dollar box at a convention a few weeks ago. She didn't know it had it until she got it home to read it.

Back in the 80s I went into a comic book store that had a copy of Swamp Thing Annual #2 in their glass case. It had 7 covers. I don't know if it was for sale or just on display. That's definately the most covers i've seen on one book.

I do have an oddity of a comic. I have a copy of Action #217 with 2 covers. The outer cover is maybe an 8.0 and the inner cover would be a 9.0 - 9.2 except there is a large chunk missing from the upper left part of the inner front cover and the upper right part of the inner back cover.

The interesting part is the interior pages are cream, but the inside of the outer cover is off-white except for the area where it touches the 1st page of the comic, where the chunk is missing. That area is darker then the rest of the inside cover.

the inner cover would be a 9.0 - 9.2 except there is a large chunk missing from the upper left part of the inner front cover and the upper right part of the inner back cover.

So, Johnny opens up the envelope and reads ....

How to describe a CGC grading nightmare? grin.gif

acclaim.gif