• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Surfer #1 CGC 9.8(unrestored) - It disappeared from the census...

18 posts in this topic

Wow, that is interesting. I'm just comparing a printout of the SS #1 census printed off on 3/31/04 I have, and both the unrestored and restored 9.8s are there.

Total # of graded books has gone from 597 to 840.

Total # of restored books has gone from 57 to 81.

No new restored books of 9.2 or above though, so I wouldn't think it was a Ewart special or it would have shown up in there somewhere.

Total # of 9.6 has gone from 13 to 17, so it could be there for some reason. I can't imagine anyone would attempt that upgrade though. I mean heck, you'd already have the lone top graded book.

Real mystery to me confused-smiley-013.gif

The SS#1 which just sold carried a CGC# of 0000965007 . It was graded on March 1, 2006. I would assume that this is the older book that appeared in your printout of the census John, and that it was resubbed....probably in an attempt to get a higher grade. (yeah, I know.....).

Thus the book received another 9.8 on it's resub...(maybe the page quality got bumped). It's just hasn't shown up in the latest update to the census. If you enter the CGC # to validate it, you do find it. It's just in census limbo at the moment.

If you had the OLD CGC# of the 9.8, you could do a search, and would probably find it listed with a .0, which is what CGC applies to books whose number has been turned in.

That's my theory, anyway.

Brad

Thanks Brad,

So do they immediately take books being resubbed out of the census and then only re-add them in the next census update?

I guess that's what was confusing me even more, because I thought if someone resubbed a book, both changes to the census would occur at the same time during CGC's update. It seems by this case, that one will (or can) change before the other. Interesting.

Brad,

Ar you saying that the new book hasn't been added to the census,so there really should be two 9.8s,yet there are none? The one that just sold and was a Boston pedigree is not the one that was in the 04 census?

I realize you are just proposing a theory ,but

is this in line with your ideas?

I don't know Shad. I forgot about the latest sale being a Boston. I don't know if the older SS was the Boston or not. If it wasn't then, we have no idea where that one went. confused-smiley-013.gif I'm just thinking out loud.

Brad

Thanks Brad,

So do they immediately take books being resubbed out of the census and then only re-add them in the next census update?

I guess that's what was confusing me even more, because I thought if someone resubbed a book, both changes to the census would occur at the same time during CGC's update. It seems by this case, that one will (or can) change before the other. Interesting.

I've never done it. Someone breaking out a book and resubbing has the option of including the old CGC label or not. Depends on their motives. If they didn't inform CGC that the book they were sending in was previously in a slab, the you have an accumulation of "ghost" books in the census. That's something that most of us here have been aware of.

If someone does submit the label...perhaps to maintain it's pedigree status, or as the act of a good CGC Citizen to keep the census a little more accurate, then the book's old grade is removed from the census. The book would then be regraded and given a brand new #.

Does that help?

Brad

I broke out a purple label Sgt Fury #13 that they somehow managed to catch the trimming..

Last year,at Wizard World, I gave the old label to the CGC guys taking submissions.A year later,the census lists the Restored copy.

foreheadslap.gif I don't think any serious collector considers the census as anywhere near an accurate reflection of what has been graded.

of course it is. Its not accurate to the supply out there, but Im assuming it can count the books CGC has slabbed correctly..