• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post Your Top 3 Golden Age Books

287 posts in this topic

We have seen a lot of great books from GA forumites over the years. It would be interesting to know which of these books are the owner's prized possessions. In other words, what are the 3 books that are the jewels of your collection, your Holy Grails, your Silmarillions, etc., and why do they hold that distinction? Monetary value is not necessarily a criterion. Scans, however, are requisite.

Discussing our favorite books and why we treasure them will help remind us of the joy we get from being in this hobby, and help us look past some of the unpleasantness that can be found in the Comics General Forum.

RHG

Four Color 48, Carl Barks art

Four Color 51, Bugs Bunny 2

Funnies 64 (New format, First Woody Woodpecker)

All are highest graded copies. And the Four Color 51 I bought from Mile High for guide. Not every day you get a deal from these guys.

bb51.jpg

porky48.jpg

fun64.jpg

We have seen a lot of great books from GA forumites over the years. It would be interesting to know which of these books are the owner's prized possessions. In other words, what are the 3 books that are the jewels of your collection, your Holy Grails, your Silmarillions, etc., and why do they hold that distinction? Monetary value is not necessarily a criterion. Scans, however, are requisite.

RHG

So, what are your three?

Here's my three, well okay I'm cheating, four reasons for collecting these grails. I'm a big fan of Bill Everett, here's his first art, cover only, scarce book. The second book is my favorite cover by Bill in the Golden Age. My third book is Lou Fine at his best, next to Fantastic Comics # 3 IMO. Lastly fourth, I know I'm cheating, but I feel this is the best cover in the run of the Arrow. A character I really enjoy!

scan0002.jpg

scan0003.jpg

scan0004.jpg

scan0005.jpg

Four Color 48, Carl Barks art

Four Color 51, Bugs Bunny 2

Funnies 64 (New format, First Woody Woodpecker)

All are highest graded copies. And the Four Color 51 I bought from Mile High for guide. Not every day you get a deal from these guys.

Those are great books ft88. Have funny animal books always been your favorites, or is that a focus that has developed recently?

Mine are pretty easy, since there are 3 major Archie keys:

Pep 22 (First appearance of Archie, Betty and Jughead)

Jackpot 4 (First cover appearance of Archie)

Archie 1

For some reason, your selections don't surprise me -- the grails of the Archie world. 893applaud-thumb.gif

RHG

So, what are your three?

My focus has always been on uncommon books that are in high grade. Therefore, at least a couple of my top 3 will not come as a surprise. I'll start with the third on my list.

I have always been a fan of Creig Flessel. His work was perhaps the finest out there in the 1930's. Some of his classic covers were swiped for years by other artists. This is one of them -- Detective #15:

1166775-Detective15%28MH%29%282%29.JPG

1166775-Detective15(MH)(2).JPG.116d32de4a91b2cda719194f9500b5f4.JPG

In second place is what many DC completionists consider to be the rarest issue of any regular DC Golden Age title. This is the book that eluded Ian Levine for so many years in his quest to complete his DC collection. I love it not just for its rarity, but also because it is another example of Flessel at his finest. New Adventure Comics #26:

1166784-NewAdv.26%28MH%29%282%29.JPG

1166784-NewAdv.26(MH)(2).JPG.03e79c957f1798b0ab0c5eef93dba0a3.JPG

In second place is what many DC completionists consider to be the rarest issue of any regular DC Golden Age title. This is the book that eluded Ian Levine for so many years in his quest to complete his DC collection. I love it not just for its rarity, but also because it is another example of Flessel at his finest. New Adventure Comics #26:

1166784-NewAdv.26%28MH%29%282%29.JPG

And I can see the name Church written on it. Awesome book. Absolutely perfect. You can tell that the book must be incredible in person.

I would love to see more of what you have.