• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post Your Top 3 Golden Age Books

287 posts in this topic

My top 3 as of current, but the MF 14 may be on the move.

So do you mean you have your MF 14 for sale somewhere?

I have one for sale if anyone needs one. Beautiful mid-grade unrestored copy.

How much and can you post a scan?

I have to scan that one in, but it will need to wait until I get back at the end of the week. However, either that one will be sold or the one I have, which is below. Not sure on price yet.

MoreFun14.jpg

Here are my current top 3, although since I don't have much of a GA collection, there's no common thread among the 3.

Batman #34:

Batman34s.jpg

Eerie #1 (first horror comic):

EerieOneShot.jpg

Human Torch #20:

HumanTorch20.jpg

I like the Eerie #1, since it's the first horror comic. The Batman was from a small GA Batman collection that I bought from a friend's brother back in 1992. Lastly, but certainly not least, the Human Torch was a wedding present from my wife, so there's no way that one's for sale. grin.gif

Here are my current top 3, although since I don't have much of a GA collection, there's no common thread among the 3.

Nothing wrong with tossing a horror book into the mix -- variety is the spice of life. 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

What grade would you assign to the Double Action #2 and Detective 15? I still remember what you said about the NA#26. hail.gif

The Detective #15 is probably around a 9.0 because of the tiny flaw you can see in the upper right corner. The Double Action #2 is a 9.2 or 9.4. Other than the miscut, the NA #26 is virtually flawless.

I've shown this one before - Larson copy, 1st app The Arrow. First costumed hero in comics. Kind of a pre-batman who could be pretty dark.

1168117-FunnyPages2-10.jpg

Very nice! 893applaud-thumb.gif

No argument from me here.

What condition would you say this is in and did you acquire this copy quite a while ago? I am sure you must have had to pay way over guide for it at the time.

An absolutely gorgeous copy of a real hard to find key book and a pedigree to top it off. 893applaud-thumb.gifhail.gif

Pictures from a digi cam will do.

Fight 32 - Edgar Church copy:

fight32.jpg

Ghost 6 - Classic bondage cover issue, extremely tough to find in any grade. Major props to Iggy for this:

ghost6.jpg

Planet 34 - one of the four(?) Fiction House bondage cover books where the tied up woman is looking directly at the reader. Mrs. Donut just clucks her tongue.

planet34.jpg

This might be cheating - Seduction of the Innocent, true first printing, includes the excised bibliography pages

soti.jpg

great books guys! no action 1s or Tec 27s yet?

We're waiting for you to post yours. popcorn.gif

I've shown this one before - Larson copy, 1st app The Arrow. First costumed hero in comics. Kind of a pre-batman who could be pretty dark.

1168117-FunnyPages2-10.jpg

Very nice! 893applaud-thumb.gif

No argument from me here.

What condition would you say this is in and did you acquire this copy quite a while ago? I am sure you must have had to pay way over guide for it at the time.

An absolutely gorgeous copy of a real hard to find key book and a pedigree to top it off. 893applaud-thumb.gifhail.gif

It's one of several Larson's to have water damage. From seeing other Larsons with water damage, I can only presume it was fairly extensive (Metro had a 36 or 38 that was laughably graded FN+), but someone had it cleaned & pressed.

I bought it as a VF+ or VFNM C&P, and then put it in a fortress. Sadly, the I dropped it and the tooth on the Fortress dinged the lower edge - but probably doesn't make that much of a difference in the overall grade. I think it was 1995 when I bought it, and since then I've seen 3 other copies for sale - 2 in Heritage and one in person.

Fight 32 - Edgar Church copy:

fight32.jpg

what a gorgeous cover! did you guys notice the explosion htting the soldiers in th ebackground? Ive never looked closely before but its pretty gruesome. What year was this released? Its a WWII era book right? Was imagery like that common on covers? or interiors?

This might be cheating - Seduction of the Innocent, true first printing, includes the excised bibliography pages

soti.jpg

hey donut

is it just me - but isn't that "just" the scan of the dustcover?

The scan of the full book doesn't really show anything. I can scan it if you want - I keep the dust cover separate to keep it flat. I suppose I could put the bibilography pages up there, which are the cool part of the book.