• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Goseki Kojima Lone Wolf and Cub art

20 posts in this topic

Is this stuff available anywhere or is it all locked up in japan?

Now, I only own two pieces of OA so I don't consider myself a collector but a Kojima page would turn my crank. Anyone seen any for sale? Cheap/expensive? I'd actually be less interested in the battle pages, which I assume are worth more, and more interested in the quiet/reflective pages like the landscapes, seascapes and 'daily life' type moments such as Daigoro fishing, etc.

Any help much appreciated!! hail.gif

Between 1997 and 2003, I went to Japan over 50 times. During the latter part of those trips, I did try to look for some Kojima art. No luck. I've never seen a page for sale. There are some watercolors he did that have been sold, but from what I understand, the pages were never made available to the public.

If you want Ikegami (CRYING FREEMAN, SANCTUARY, et al), I can get it for you. Be warned, though, much of his work is done by a stable of assistants (eventhough the art is credited to him only).

Felix

Just want Kojima only. Thanks for the info although I'm disappointed to hear it. boo.gif Thanks Felix.

-- has anyone else out tried to find it?

Mitch Itkowitz had a Kojima LW&C color pin-up for sale a couple years ago (think it was summer 2004). I saw it in person at the SDCC and it was gorgeous. I forget what the exact price was, but I think it was around $15K, plus or minus a few K.

That is the only Kojima LW&C piece I have ever seen for sale...

Man. What a bummer.... a) it sounds like I won't be able to find any and b) it's more than I want to pay. Thanks for the info Gene. flowerred.gif

The worst part is I was at the 04 SDCC too... I would have love to at least have seen it flamed.gif

But I'm definitely disappointed to hear that with the artist's massive output of LW&C pages they remain elusive to come by yeahok.gif If I recall correctly it's 8 or 9 thousand pages... making 15k a pretty risky investment if the rest of those pages ever came to market yeahok.gifyeahok.gifyeahok.gif

PS what was the pin-up of, out of curiosity? Solo Itto or with Diagoro and baby cart, or what? Would love to see that on a comicartfans gallery one day cloud9.gif

I've seen the piece in person. It's very nice. I've got bigger priorities at that $$ level, but the guy who got it REALLY wanted a LW piece so it was well worth it to him.

If the published pages ever hit the market, there's enough demand for them that I don't think the value of this piece will be affected that much. There are fans of this series all over the world. Anyhow, the likelihood of the pages ever becoming available is pretty small at this point.

As a collector of other types of media from Japan including records and movie posters, I can verify that it would be very hard to compete with Japanese collectors for rare manga items. I've seen unbelievable prices paid for desirable items in Japan... the Japanese collector is hard to beat.

Right on- thanks for the scan! sumo.gif

I really like the diagoro piece as well although that one, at first blush, looks to me like it might have been done a little later on.

As for the market, I realize there are probably collectors of his all over the world and that the japanese would be aggressive in buying, but boy, 15k seems like a lot.. how many comic artists could get that for a single watercolor unpublished pinup? Not too many.

Anyone care to throw out a number on what that diagoro piece might be worth?

Because they're not for sale or because they don't exist anymore?

A Japanese manga artist makes a considerable amount of money when compared to a US page rate. They live quite comfortably and have not required the selling of art as a secondary income source. As such it is looked down upon to sell the art, a real social faux pas. Manga artists just (typically) don't do it, this is especially true for the older generation.

Because they're not for sale or because they don't exist anymore?

A Japanese manga artist makes a considerable amount of money when compared to a US page rate. They live quite comfortably and have not required the selling of art as a secondary income source. As such it is looked down upon to sell the art, a real social faux pas. Manga artists just (typically) don't do it, this is especially true for the older generation.

I love straight answers cloud9.gif

Hmmm... which cover?

Wouldn't happen to be the same person you bought your Bode from, would it? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

There's a Wagner LW&C cover on sale at ComicArtFans.com, as well as a Ploog. I've seen at least a couple of Sienkiewicz LW&C covers floating around as well. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I just happen to have a scan of it...

1168399-GosekiKojimaLoneWolf%26Cub.jpg

Thanks. That's a beautiful piece.