• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade my Jumbo #86 and #93 please

9 posts in this topic

Thought I would post these here and check up a little on my grading. Like to make sure now and then that my glasses aren't taking on too rosy of a tint. Linked to large scans to save time and prevent expanding the page (Dial-up users beware):

JUMBO #86 FRONT

JUMBO #86 BACK

Tiny bindery chips from top and bottom of spine. A little spine abrasion and three tiny 1/16" spine chips. Super-flat, clean, and glossy. OW pages.

JUMBO #93 FRONT

JUMBO #93 BACK

Cut slightly off-square. Little color chips around staple and tiny <1/16" staple tears. Very small bindery chips at top and bottom of the spine. A couple of color flecks from bottom edge of the FC. Little color flecking from URFC. Light wear, including one small chip from btm edge of back cover. Little spine wrinkling visible on BC. Sliver of dust shadowing ULBC. Date stamp BC. OW pages

Anything else should be obvious in the scans. Thanks in advance for the opinions.

On the Jumbo #93 is that color touch on the right hand corner? By the way, seriously gorgeous books. The Grading Bastiche says... #86 is a 7.5 and the #93 is a 7.0. I am being conservative on these because the structural flaws. The colors are excellent.

No, not color touch, just spotty printing. The "bluish" spot you are talking about is identical to the blue poking out in the "O" of Jumbo.

Thanks for the grades and the compliment. Pick these and a number of other Jumbo up a few years ago from a collector. Starting to wonder which I'm going to hold onto and which I'm going to unload to free up some $$$ for other purchases. Sadly, the other 10 or so are more in the FN- to VG- range.

Any other opinions? I'm especially curious about how people feel about the little spine chips on the #86.

JUMBO #86

Tiny bindery chips from top and bottom of spine. A little spine abrasion and three tiny 1/16" spine chips. Super-flat, clean, and glossy. OW pages.

8.5 sumo.gif

JUMBO #93

Cut slightly off-square. Little color chips around staple and tiny <1/16" staple tears. Very small bindery chips at top and bottom of the spine. A couple of color flecks from bottom edge of the FC. Little color flecking from URFC. Light wear, including one small chip from btm edge of back cover. Little spine wrinkling visible on BC. Sliver of dust shadowing ULBC. Date stamp BC. OW pages

8.0 Due primarily to "spine wrinkling visible on BC" sumo.gif

Really nice copies! 893applaud-thumb.gif

No, not color touch, just spotty printing. The "bluish" spot you are talking about is identical to the blue poking out in the "O" of Jumbo.

Thanks for the grades and the compliment. Pick these and a number of other Jumbo up a few years ago from a collector. Starting to wonder which I'm going to hold onto and which I'm going to unload to free up some $$$ for other purchases. Sadly, the other 10 or so are more in the FN- to VG- range.

Any other opinions? I'm especially curious about how people feel about the little spine chips on the #86.

Well, I am not much for chipping but those aren't so bad. Those are very good examples of GA books. So, you should be happy with the selling or keeping of those.

Sweet books, Douglas!

The ULC chip makes #86 a tough one to grade, IMO. If it is indeed a bindery/production chip, I'd grade the book out to around 8.0 overall (tho if I docked for the chip I would go more like 6.5/7.0 overall). The #93 looks to be about 7.5. Both books look beautiful, with eye appeal even stronger than their technical grades. Very nice!