• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pgx to cgc

24 posts in this topic

I want to send a pgx graded book to be cgc graded ....for my registry and for a second opinion on the restoration check.....would you send it with the label, or crack it out prior to sending....it is a pgx 9.9

I'd crack it out to get an unbiased opinion...

Jim

I want to send a pgx graded book to be cgc graded ....for my registry and for a second opinion on the restoration check.....would you send it with the label, or crack it out prior to sending....it is a pgx 9.9

Jim

I'm sure some would call me naive, but I believe CGC would crack it out before giving it to the graders, so that the graders wouldn't see the previous grade...

Cue laughter now.

Jim

I'm sure some would call me naive, but I believe CGC would crack it out before giving it to the graders, so that the graders wouldn't see the previous grade...

Cue laughter now.

That is pretty funny!

There is no way the average person will send in a book and get a 9.9.

I bet it comes back a 9.4 and if you are lucky a 9.6.

Crack it out and post a scan.

Wait until Chicago in August and do it there onsite.

I believe that CGC's stated position on this is that they will not break a book out of a slab other than their own. I'm pretty sure I've read that on the CGC site or boards somewhere.

I believe that CGC's stated position on this is that they will not break a book out of a slab other than their own. I'm pretty sure I've read that on the CGC site or boards somewhere.

CGC will crack it out if you send it in with the PGX slab. I've asked this question before and they recommend leaving the book in the slab.

For the original poster -- if you got that "9.9" from the person we've all been discussing lately, I think there's a 99% chance that it'll come back from CGC in a purple label, with a lower grade, or both. And this whether you submit it in the slab or not.

I cracked out a PGX book last year and sent it to CGC. It received the exact same grade.

Was it a 9.9 from ma4pres? Because that was my point.

No. It was a 9.4 that I really thought should have been 9.6 (but neither PGX or CGC agreed 27_laughing.gif )

I don't think it can be a 100 pager, as the PGX website states they are unable to slab comics that have 80 or more pages. foreheadslap.gif

Just FYI they got a case that now accommodates the 100 and 80 pagers ..... apparently. I don't know if they ever mentioned it on their site though.

Is it a modern book??

I think its a 100PGer?

I don't think it can be a 100 pager, as the PGX website states they are unable to slab comics that have 80 or more pages. foreheadslap.gif

PGX does slab DC 100 pagers. The only PGX 9.9 100 pager that I am aware of is a Shazam #8.

The 9.9 Shazam 8 was listed on Ebay in March for the low low price of $599.99. The seller ended the auction early (March 24) due to "an error in the minimum bid or reserve amount".

CGC has never (as of the latest census) given a grade of 9.9 to any DC 100 pager. So if this was the book, and it was cracked out to submit to CGC, it is highly unlikely that it would receive the same grade.