• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Creepy 32, Eerie 17, 23

42 posts in this topic

Anyone have print run numbers on these? Just how tough are these three to find over 7.0? I know they almost always go for guide or more in nice condition. I have been looking for quite a while and I always get smoked on the bidding for Creepy 32s, even on marginal or questionable copies. I would really like to snag these before going on hiatus from collecting, but my prospects seem grim. I did get this one tonight, one of the first (hopefully) nice copies I have seen in awhile. Anyone have a copy without the upper left box clipped? The bottom edge would have to be cropped quite a bit for it to look nicely centered. I know I have never seen one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...me=STRK:MEWN:IT

don't go on a collecting hiatus!

I see all those issues plenty. But going for good money and they've been premium priced for a long time, even when other Creepys and Eeries were 50 cent bin fodder.. Why would the Frazetta issues have been printed in lower numbers? Back then he was a known commodity, I would have expected them to be printed in higher numbers.

Anyone have print run numbers on these? Just how tough are these three to find over 7.0? I know they almost always go for guide or more in nice condition. I have been looking for quite a while and I always get smoked on the bidding for Creepy 32s, even on marginal or questionable copies. I would really like to snag these before going on hiatus from collecting, but my prospects seem grim. I did get this one tonight, one of the first (hopefully) nice copies I have seen in awhile. Anyone have a copy without the upper left box clipped? The bottom edge would have to be cropped quite a bit for it to look nicely centered. I know I have never seen one.

Cant' recall from memory if that is a common trait or not of that issue. I will have to look at a few issues (which may take 2+ years at the rate I'm going through my stuff).

Either way I think you will be very pleased with that issue from BlueGuitar. From my dealings with him, that "7.0" you bought would probably be called VF+ or better by others. You'll have to let me know, I'm quite curious.

Nice acquisition either way.

-bounty

Cant' recall from memory if that is a common trait or not of that issue. I will have to look at a few issues (which may take 2+ years at the rate I'm going through my stuff).

Either way I think you will be very pleased with that issue from BlueGuitar. From my dealings with him, that "7.0" you bought would probably be called VF+ or better by others. You'll have to let me know, I'm quite curious.

Nice acquisition either way.

-bounty

Now THAT'S good news! I though it looked great from the scan. That issue always brings a crazy guide premium. I will post it when I get it.

don't go on a collecting hiatus!

I see all those issues plenty. But going for good money and they've been premium priced for a long time, even when other Creepys and Eeries were 50 cent bin fodder.. Why would the Frazetta issues have been printed in lower numbers? Back then he was a known commodity, I would have expected them to be printed in higher numbers.

Well, the Eerie 17 doesn't have a Frazetta cover and I know that one had a low print or poor distribution. The Creepy 32 doesn't show up much either. Not sure why, and as you said you would figure that Frazetta issues would have larger print runs. As for the Eerie 23, it also shows up a LOT less frequently than the early Creepy or Eerie issues, which aren't tough to find even in nice shape.

"Well, the Eerie 17 doesn't have a Frazetta cover and I know that one had a low print or poor distribution."

Like Conan 3 and Surfer 4? Sure Chuck didn't make that one up to make the 10,000 Eerie 17s he has in his warehouse more valuable? J.C. knows everything, he should opine on this one!

(Well, there is only one incredibly overpriced copy of ebay right now, so I suspect that one actually is a low print run issue, so forget everything I just said!)

As for Frazetta, perhaps huge numbers tucked away in the vaults of hard core collectors who don't drop their stuff on ebay every week? I'm speculating of course, but I sure feel like I see those covers a lot, but maybe perhaps more at shows. There are a lot of Creepys and Eeries in the NYC area as it seems like a lot of different people got a chunk of the Warren bankruptcy inventory.

eerie 17 is truly tougher because of lower distribution problems. I can't remember the exact reason, but i think the Warren companion talks about it. that was a case where it just dropped out of their back issue lists in the mags. Eerie #23 & 32 have always been overpriced and somewhat tougher. Warren had the classic "expensive" back issues in their mag backs, and they are certainly not always accurate. For instance Famous Monsters #56 is as common as it gets, and they were obviously inflating that one. Creepy 38 was another they pumped up and its not tough at all. I didn't collect eerie as a kid, but I know I NEVER saw a creepy 32 back in the pre ebay days. Always wanted it for hte Adams story, but could never land one. Don't know if that helps at all....

Any info helps. Thanks Matt.

For those who care, I got the Eerie 23 in today and it's WAY better than described, probably around 3 full grade points better than advertised. I don't have a scanned bed big enough for it, otherwise I would post a pic. It has great structure, with only the tiniest flaws. It does have some production problems. That issue (like HOS 88) wasn't properly laid out so even copies with perfect centering (the correct amount of black border on the bottom) have Cousin Eerie's head cut off around the top of his hairline. It also has some ink lifting cause by stacking before the ink was fully dried. Marvel Spotlight 2s often have the same problem. All in all it's a great copy. I would put it at a 8.5/9.0. Very happy. grin.gif

My misfits collection was never killer, I had a White Die Die, Red Legacy, Original walk among us, halloween 7", German evilive, 2-tone cover earth AD, and Tons of boots, like red vinyl "If you don't know this song, then what the Fu** are you doing here" When I was in highschoo, before Walk was reissued, I used to sell taped copies of it for $5.....

Tons of boots, like red vinyl "If you don't know this song, then what the Fu** are you doing here" ...

Hey! I remember that one well! That was the first boot I ever bought, got it on a trip to see my dad in Columbus probably circa '87 on that one. My first legit vinyl was probably either German Evilive, or "misprint" Earth AD sometime in '85. Things grew from there!

Wish I had the $$ at the time to pick up one of the hand-painted shirts done by Eerie Von that were going for $100 a pop. Thought they may have been boots as well, but spoke with Eerie a couple years later & he said they were legit!

Sorry to take this OT! crazy.gif

Any info helps. Thanks Matt.

For those who care, I got the Eerie 23 in today and it's WAY better than described, probably around 3 full grade points better than advertised. I don't have a scanned bed big enough for it, otherwise I would post a pic. It has great structure, with only the tiniest flaws. It does have some production problems. That issue (like HOS 88) wasn't properly laid out so even copies with perfect centering (the correct amount of black border on the bottom) have Cousin Eerie's head cut off around the top of his hairline. It also has some ink lifting cause by stacking before the ink was fully dried. Marvel Spotlight 2s often have the same problem. All in all it's a great copy. I would put it at a 8.5/9.0. Very happy. grin.gif

What did I tell ya Kiddo!

BTW: I've seen a CGC 9.4 graded copy of Eerie #23 in person...and it has the exact same Cousin Eerie's Head cut off at the hairline that your copy exhibits. So I wouldn't worry too much!

-bounty