• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Selling on the boards or outside?!

26 posts in this topic

to everyone

from a sellers point, where do you do more $$$, selling comics on the boards or on ebay?

i ask this because i've seen in the last few months some pretty nice stuff at "low prices", which is great for the buyers...

i'm mostly talking about later silver to early cooper age non keys. and the raw stuff goes for really low in general!

what are your thoughts?

regards

I've certainly enjoyed some of the bargin bins that I've gotten recently....and I've considered doing my own bins in the future. The question of which brings in the most money is valid, but you also have to consider the degree of effort and overall headache involved in forum vs ebay.

Ebay -

pros

- expanded exposure of book

- auction style can create competition and more bucks.

cons

- you don't know what type of person will be the winning bidder(will he pay? pay on time? does he have a high return ratio?...you don't know him and he doesn't know you...do each grade according to similar standards?

Forum

pros

- higher degree of competence in both buyer and seller, i.e. less headache

- less likelyhood of disagreement and conflict(yeah, it can still happen frustrated.gif)

- creates an increased circle of fellow hobbyist

- quick cashflow and turnaround

- many guys have cash and are willing to spend 893applaud-thumb.gif

cons

- does everyone on forum already have everything I want to sell

- nonkeys might bring less money...but that happens on ebay too.

anyway, some quick thoughts on my end concerning your question.

Generally whatever you lose by selling on the boards you make up on eBay's 10% cut. I would rather the book went to someone here and build up contacts and friendships then all the problems that eBay brings.

Furthermore you don't have to sell if people don't match your asking price so i would suggest listing everything here first and whatever doesn't sell take to eBay.

it's what i try , selling my first book on the forum, but it doesn't work confused-smiley-013.gif

is it because there was no price 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

but i have no idea for this one confused.gif

http://boards.collectors-society.com/sho...e=2#Post1163792

It could have been the price, it could have been the international shipping cost or it could have been a real heavy day of sales and it was overlooked.

it's what i try , selling my first book on the forum, but it doesn't work confused-smiley-013.gif

It could have been the price, it could have been the international shipping cost or it could have been a real heavy day of sales and it was overlooked.

you think $10 shipping is too much ?

you think $10 shipping is too much ?

No I have paid that many times for a CGC book. I am just throwing out ideas.

I'd rather sell on the forum for less money then have to deal with Ebay and all of the insufficiently_thoughtful_persons it attracts.

Yeah, I really like the insufficiently_thoughtful_person-free environment the boards provide. insane.gif

Yep, unless you're dealing with an uber high-grade CGC book, this "give me an offer" stuff usually never works. I never reply, and just move onto the Forum BINs, where the real action is.

Just decide on a price you're happy with and post it.

I'd rather sell on the forum for less money then have to deal with Ebay and all of the insufficiently_thoughtful_persons it attracts.

Yeah, I really like the insufficiently_thoughtful_person-free environment the boards provide. insane.gif

No one gives a FLIP 27_laughing.gif

Except Gman. yeahok.gif

Yep, unless you're dealing with an uber high-grade CGC book, this "give me an offer" stuff usually never works. I never reply, and just move onto the Forum BINs, where the real action is.

Yep...I don't play the "give me an offer" game either. Nothing makes me click the next sell thread quicker...

Jim

Except Gman. yeahok.gif

I didn't want to name names. thumbsup2.gif

And hence why I switched over to BINs with the auction format I've run. Selling on the boards gives you a "community" sense, and security as I have not once ever been screwed by a forum member... on either side of the table. So... I always prefer the forum auctions as opposed to ebay...

thanks for advice Joe

i think i have choose the wrong book, i understand what you mean by "give me an offer" stuff usually never works , but i really have no idea with price for this one ,

i'll make another try

thanks to you all flowerred.gif

Yep...I don't play the "give me an offer" game either. Nothing makes me click the next sell thread quicker...

Jim

Same here. This strategy either makes you feel like a cheapskate for a lowball offer or you're being gamed into making an offer that may be more than necessary. If a seller wants to do this, just go to ebay.

I really like the Forum BINS. It's a true win-win. Kudos to Foolkiller for some great material at collector-friendly prices. 893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

Many reasons:

1. I have received many a good deals, and like to return the favor within our little forum community.

2. Disagreements are always civil and can be resolved real quick.

3. There is no shilling sumo.gif, as I sometimes look at auctions on Ebay and scratch my head as to the selling prices paid, and wonder how legit is this.

4. No BS when receiving books, i.e must have gotten lost or hey you didnt ask for insurance.

5 You get paid without the fear of someone pulling a reversal on you through Paypal.

6 People here know how to package correctly!!!!!!