• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

how does writeing with ink on cover affect gradeing ?

15 posts in this topic

lets say i have a fine or fine plus comic and there is a phone number was wrote on it with a ink pin on the cover but looks real good other wise . how much does it affect gradeing ? the comic is giant size x-men 1 . the phone number is about 1 inch and a half long and about 1/8 to 3/16 hi .it would be a easy fine or fine plus book with out it . thanks for any help

1169457-060327205451.JPG.2042e171182e22eac71253a7ec0f9d76.JPG

Hmm. If it's an arrival date it's okay (even good), but if it's a birthday date it's bad. If Stan Lee signs an issue it's often considered a bonus, but if 12-year old "Billy" signed it back in '65 it's bad. Distributor's ink on the cover - good; leaky ballpoint - bad. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Seriously, it's not something that bothers me a whole lot, but technically I believe it can be no better than Fine.

My understanding was that if the original owner wrote his name on it, and it was in a relatively inconspicous (sp?) spot, like the inside front page or the back cover, then it isn't necessarily a killer.

Phone numbers wouldn't make the cut though, I'm afraid.

My understanding was that if the original owner wrote his name on it, and it was in a relatively inconspicous (sp?) spot, like the inside front page or the back cover, then it isn't necessarily a killer.

Only if it comes from a pedigree collection. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

lets say i have a fine or fine plus comic and there is a phone number was wrote on it with a ink pin on the cover but looks real good other wise . how much does it affect gradeing ? the comic is giant size x-men 1 . the phone number is about 1 inch and a half long and about 1/8 to 3/16 hi .it would be a easy fine or fine plus book with out it . thanks for any help

If it is a small bit of writing like you describe, I don't think it would have much of an impact on a book that was a FN+ without the writing. If the book were otherwise NM 9.4, the phone number that you describe would probably knock it down to VF+ or so.

Have you tried calling the phone number? Just curious...

Kinda like this?

WDCS103ss.jpg

insane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gif

Kinda like this?

WDCS103ss.jpg

insane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gif

I don't think the writing affects the grade of that book at all! It's a turd without the crayon! grin.gif

If it's a girls number i usually pay extra insane.gif

What if she is currently 72 years old?

What if she is currently 72 years old?

Then maybe she has a hot granddaughter insane.gif