• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Questions about a commission piece

7 posts in this topic

I am thinking of trying to get a commission piece done, but I have some questions:

I want to get a Spider-man vs. the Hobgoblin piece

1. Does it make a difference who does it as long as the art is quality (meaning done by a professional)?

2. Is it better to get an artist that actually drew the characters in the comic book?

3. Do commission pieces rise in value? If so, what dictates it?

Any other insights would be appreciated. I am thinking of going this route since I have not been able to see any availability of ASM vs. Hobby OA.

Thanks!

Rac

Hope this helps.

1. I think you can get any artist to do the commission.

2. If it was mine then I would want it to be by an artist who has worked with that character before.

3. Some would rise in value. Just think what a Jim Lee commission from 5 years ago would be worth today 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

1. Does it make a difference who does it as long as the art is quality (meaning done by a professional)?

To me it does not matter who does the art as long as you are happy about it. If you have seen the artist's work or samples that please you then you can't go wrong. Commissions are very personal things, quality and aesthetics are of primary importance.

2. Is it better to get an artist that actually drew the characters in the comic book?

I prefer to get an artist who was associated with the characters if at all possible. If for no other reason but for the fact that you would have seen how they have tackled the subject matter. In this case I think Ron Frenz would be ideal. He did a great Spidey v. Hobby.

Or if you "discover" an artist that has a style that moves you, you can go that route. It really is a personal choice. Like with my commission theme, I try to get artists working on their most associated characters, but if that is not possible or the artist is relatively new then I try to get an artist whose talents are best suited to the subject matter.

For example some people draw great monsters, some draw great women, some draw great musculature....I try to play to their strengths.

3. Do commission pieces rise in value? If so, what dictates it?

I know I said it but it bears repeating...commissions are usually very personal. I don't consider re-sale value in any commission I request. Future value is most likely determined by scarcity of the artist's work, his price structure as time passes, his relative popularity, and the overall cost of artwork in general (published and unpubbed) by said artist.

There is no way to predict the future, so you are best off collecting what you love and making sure that if you commission a piece that you would love it even if it were worth a dollar tomorrow. You will never ever get hurt with that philosophy.

Best,

Chris Caira

www.hulk-smash.com

Thanks, svndst1030 and comix4fun for your input. I agree with all that has been said. Chris, I was thinking Ron Frenz all along. I emailed his rep for some info.

The only reason I want a commission done is that it seems that I will never get OA from ASM vs. Hobby (such as Frenz's work in the 80's). It just dawned on me this morning, that maybe a commission is the way to go.

That being said, if there was a great OA piece from Frenz in the 80's I would probably give up a commission piece for the OA.

Another question, if you are getting a commission done, is it better to go with an image you dreamed up or something like a cover recreation? I am asking becasue I am not sure what would appeal to me more. I guess a cover recreation would just make me want the actual cover so much more and anyone can ask for the same thing again. Agree?

Another question, if you are getting a commission done, is it better to go with an image you dreamed up or something like a cover recreation? I am asking becasue I am not sure what would appeal to me more. I guess a cover recreation would just make me want the actual cover so much more and anyone can ask for the same thing again. Agree?

I almost never go with straight out recreations. I either like a re-interpretation where the artists can add or subtract and change the piece and let his artistic juices flow. Otherwise you are getting a xerox copy, in my opinion. The only straight out recreation I have is the cover to Iron Man #132 it was done by Bob Layton working off the actual original piece of art. I lost out on the auction for the original and Bob was kind enough to make an exact duplicate as a consolation. This was an easy exception to the rule for me.

Iron Man 132 By Layton

I really enjoy thinking up an idea, something that really works in conjunction with the artist's talents, or for the characters in question, and seeing how the artist brings that to life. It makes you part of the art in a way. It was something that sprang from your mind and is now tangible. For someone like me that can't draw stick figures, it is as close to being an artist as I will ever get.

Hope this helps...

Chris