• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How low can Marvel go???

77 posts in this topic

Am I correct in assuming that the whole thing failed solely because many thought it was a bad idea to reimagine the lives of various marvel heroes?

That had someting to do with it...but the overriding reason it failed in my opinion is because they were pretty awful comics on the whole (with the exception of one). Liefeld's two entries, Capt America and Avengers, were essentially unreadable. And it didn't get any better when he was fired midway through...

Lee's entries, FF and Iron Man, were better. But FF lacked originality and was generally a lame rehash of the SA stories. Nice Lee art though. I liked IM and thought it was the best of the bunch and better than the Teen Tony storyline it replaced in normal continuity.

It didn't help either that the entire line was habitually late with a wait of three months or so for some issues...

Jim

I'm going from memory here but didn't Liefeld get fired by Marvel half way through the run only for Lee to take over all four titles?

Personally i don't mind Liefeld's art.

Am I correct in assuming that the whole thing failed solely because many thought it was a bad idea to reimagine the lives of various marvel heroes?

That had someting to do with it...but the overriding reason it failed in my opinion is because they were pretty awful comics on the whole (with the exception of one). Liefeld's two entries, Capt America and Avengers, were essentially unreadable. And it didn't get any better when he was fired midway through...

Lee's entries, FF and Iron Man, were better. But FF lacked originality and was generally a lame rehash of the SA stories. Nice Lee art though. I liked IM and thought it was the best of the bunch and better than the Teen Tony storyline it replaced in normal continuity.

It didn't help either that the entire line was habitually late with a wait of three months or so for some issues...

Jim

I'm going from memory here but didn't Liefeld get fired by Marvel half way through the run only for Lee to take over all four titles?

frustrated.gif

Jim

Actually, I think Marvel let him go after about half of the comics were completed, and Jim Lee was given the responsibility to complete each of the four series.

grin.gifhi.gif

IIRC, Heroes Reborn was the Ultimate line of the time. I remember the first few issues, but the sheer suckiness of the early 90s forced me out of comics (with a few exceptions) for a few years. I agree that FF was saved by Lee's art (and the story's weren't terrible), but Liefeld's Cap was horrible.

Ok. So I never read the Onslaught stories or Heroes Reborn, but I checked out the appropriate wiki pages.

The series' brought to light the fallacy of the Image type of comics.

All fluff and no meat.

The writing was pathetic and the story as full of holes as swiss cheese. Some praised the art...but for the Image guys it was actually a lower level of art than what they had done previously. end of sign-rantpost.gif

Plus the later success of the AoA and Ultimate lines indicate that the idea of alternate superhero stories can be successful when done properly.

"Liefeld can't draw feet." which is why a friend of mine refuses to buy any of his books. Always cracks me up.

Feet shmeet. The guy can't draw correct human anatomy period.

lol. That profile of Cap always cracks me up. Barrel chested indeed!

Not to mention that they ended the series by mixing in Image characters. Instead of being cool, it was super lame. A bit of a whimper instead of going out with a bang. And it really didn't fit the original intention of the new series.

Pat

"Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it."

1172642-150px-Liefeld_captain_america.jpg

Okay, okay. That is just horrible.

If anything, Cap should at least be able to see his own feet. And this version definitely could not.

"Liefeld can't draw feet." which is why a friend of mine refuses to buy any of his books. Always cracks me up.

Did someone say he couldn't draw feet? smirk.gif

enchant.jpg

The problem is he needs to get there first... foreheadslap.gif

Jim

And, if your eyes can handle it, here is another:

onslaught2.jpg

when did YoungShatterbloodstar get a hammer and join the Avengers?

he can draw 1 body and 2 faces....why does he still have work?

i'd rather see stick figures!!!