• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ALL*STAR SUPERMAN # 3

45 posts in this topic

Finally got to the shop yesterday and I couldn't wait to read this. Simply beautiful. The first thing I thought when I saw the cover was,"Action Figure!" I love the new Samson and Atlas characters, too. I think we'll definitely be seeing the muscular insufficiently_thoughtful_person twins in their own book(s) in the future. To me, this book epitomizes the Silver Age, especially the Lois Lane book. Just in this issue we see dinosaurs from the center of the Earth, superpowers for a day, Jimmy's signal watch, rivals for Lois's fancy, an incredibly lethal threat neutralized in 3 panels, a birthday dinner in apparently Atlantis's sister city, and a kiss on the moon. Plus Morrison's cutting edge pseudo-sci-fi jargon combines beautifully with Quitely's art and the imaginative lettering (love the Chronomobile and the bricks in Ultrasphinx's dialogue). I did notice one flaw in the art, where they are armwrestling there's a panel where Lois suddenly has blue tights on. The tiniest flaw in 3 perfect books. I'll be happily collecting this series and the Absolute edition that will surely follow. I'm a sucker that way.

...to me it's just nostalgic Silver-Age schlock,...this story has been done a thousand times in Action/Superman/ Lois Lane/Jimmy Olsen in the 60's,...and better too,...will you really remember this book 6 months from now?... confused-smiley-013.gif

I mentioned it in general, and i'll say it here...this book re-invents comics. It's like the golden age with everything being new, and all it's freshness, but better! Better art, better stories. I'm not a DC fan but am converting. crazy.gif Marvel's schlock over the past few years (with the exception of a few creative teams) is wearing thin, and it hurts me to say it, but i can't wait to read certain DC issues. This type of creative magic WILL get younger people reading comics again. Without it, the hobby suffers.

will you really remember this book 6 months from now?... confused-smiley-013.gif

yes thumbsup2.gif

Same here. When I read #3, I thought to myself, this is the greatest thing I have ever read. Figured I would be the only one that ecstatic about it but I have seen a ton of people geeking out over it too. The book gives me hope, since I have thought comics have been too dark for too long.

...to me it's just nostalgic Silver-Age schlock,...this story has been done a thousand times in Action/Superman/ Lois Lane/Jimmy Olsen in the 60's,...and better too,...will you really remember this book 6 months from now?... confused-smiley-013.gif

So, (John) you just had to come down here to Modern and peeee in our Corn Flakes........ 893naughty-thumb.gif...... sign-rantpost.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Really just give this book a quick read through and I think you will come around, if not no biggie. I have never been

that much of a fan of Superman, but this book is everything that is right about Modern Comics and will be

long remembered after it's run. It is a loving ' homage ' to all that has gone into the Superman back-stories,

and thats a good thing. Thanks for joinning in, and I hope that you will give it a try..... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif Stephen.

...the only thing missing from the story was Superman squeezing a lump of coal to make a giant engagement ring for Lois and an alien gorilla falling in love with her,...sorry,...waaaay too fluffy for me,...

It does have a bit of sentimentality to it doesn't it? But that might change. I haven't read 3 yet, so I am looking forward to it. I know in #1 there was the Mad Scientist/Willy Wonka dude. I am thinking, something bad is going to happen with that cat. At least, I hope so. grin.gif

It does have a bit of sentimentality to it doesn't it?

And god forbid Morrison play up on of the most crucial relationships in Superman's life in such a way, especially in an issue that is, by definition, about a romantic date between the two.

I mean, sentimentality in a date issue featuring one of American comics most classic couples? what a terrible idea.

27_laughing.gif

...bah,....may you be locked in a room for a year with nothing to read but Betty and Veronica's Summer Fun,... box2.gif

I could think of worse fates... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

the Dreams...

I wonder if Archie ever got both of them in bed at same time

...the only thing missing from the story was Superman squeezing a lump of coal to make a giant engagement ring for Lois and an alien gorilla falling in love with her,...sorry,...waaaay too fluffy for me,...

27_laughing.gif.... 27_laughing.gif.... R........O........F......L.......M........A.......O gossip.gif It's still early, give it time, it could still happen. wink.gif

Absolutely lovely book. Morrison combines nostalgia with a new twist, so it makes us all feel like we're finding out about Superman all over again.

Read it yesterday, finally. Great stuff! headbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gif