• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FF 2 Near Mint Auction?

33 posts in this topic

Can't tell. But consider this. If the book was NM and you were to open it all the way it would do what has happened to your book, stress and tear the spine around the staples. The books you are doing this to are already stressed and torn and doing it one more time wouldn't make much difference at this point. In the case of that FF, it's supposed to be in NM and he's opening it all the way. I think as long as he doesn't put any actual weight on the book when it's open(like putting the lid on the scanner down) it will survive without significant damage, because the staples are offset to the back. On a NM book with the staples in front like your books, opening it flat even once will cause damage. But then again it's 4 in the morning and I could just be pulling out of thin air frown.gif

But consider this. If the book was NM and you were to open it all the way it would do what has happened to your book, stress and tear the spine around the staples

OK - a couple of things - I wouls never open a book "all the way" - see my scaner info below.

The first book I scanned - the Green Mask - I consider to be NM. The staple placement wasn't to your liking but the book you were referring to in the ebay auction also did not have staples placed to the front the way you specified.

Yes, my next two were not NM - but they were books where the staples were more in the front than the Green Mask. Now the areas already were stressed but this would well make them more susceptible to further stressing because the paper is already weakened in those areas.

The key is simple: use a Canon or similar scanner that can maintain sharpness even when the obejct being scanned is away from the scanner bed.

I could do scans like this all day long. All I have to do is gently open the book, lay it on the scanner, and hold pressure three or so inches from the cut edge. The ability of the scanner to maintain sharpness does the rest. The books are never fully flattened out, and with the right scanner the effect is most acceptable.

This you could do this scanning the interior pages trick on a book like this without turning it into a 9.0/9.2? How about if the staples were 1/8" even further to the right? That's the worst thing about front-placed staples...they crease and/or tear up the cover art if you open it too widely to look at the interior.

Spidey69.jpg

LordRahl,

Since I replied to your post, I realized that I've been bidding on the auction below myself. I think I'll leave it to angioboy to figure out just what exactly is going on here...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2174567794&category=65&rd=1

Wow! That looks peculiarly familiar 893scratchchin-thumb.gif They're both in Oregon as well. I'm staying away from that FF but I do wonder what is going on. If he's legit and both those id are his, why would you not sell a high profile book like that FF with the higher feedback id?

Anyone thinking about bidding on the FF#2 might want to

take another, careful look at what happened with the auction

below. FYI, mamanook was high bidder (among 20+ bids) on

this book at $2,000+ as of this morning.

Anyone thinking about bidding on the FF#2 might want to

take another, careful look at what happened with the auction

below. FYI, mamanook was high bidder (among 20+ bids) on

this book at $2,000+ as of this morning.

Which auction? Did you mean to put in a link or are you talking about the FF 2 auction?

Thanks, hammer, that finally explains it all: the epicenter of all the surreal events pertaining to Disney comics coincides exactly with that Oregon wormhole.

---

Btw., I meant to refer to the link "above" (ie. the "40 Big Pgs" book).

What about the fact that the seller of the FF 2 states "For CGG slabbing - NOT CGC !!" ... ? Seems to imply that there might be restoration and that if you want an "unrestored book," you'd be wise to submit this one to CGG, where resto is apparently a foreign phrase...

Isn't this particular seller in the same neck of the woods as CGG? I'm wondering if he's somehow affiliated with them. Seems to be pushing them pretty hard. And why not he's liable to make a couple of grand off that grade he got for the Avengers 4.