• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SILVER AGE COVER WINNERS # 14 - # 11

33 posts in this topic

# 14 NICK FURY AGENT OF SHIELD 7 - receiving 53 votes.

This cover will blow your mind. It's a visual mild altering drug without the side-effects.

Steranko creates yet another masterpiece. hail.gif

1173703-nfs7.jpg

# 14 NICK FURY AGENT OF SHIELD 7 - receiving 53 votes.

This cover will blow your mind. It's a visual mild altering drug without the side-effects.

Steranko creates yet another masterpiece. hail.gif

1173703-nfs7.jpg

This one looks like a Dali painting.

# 13 - AMAZING SPIDERMAN 39 - receiving 55 votes.

A new artist by the name of John Romita took over the reigns of Amazing Spiderman with this issue, and what a shocker of a cover it was.

Spiderman is unmasked in plain view of an arch villain, with a text box telling us that the Goblin would also be unmasked. When you take over an established title and character it's best to do it with a dynamic effort right from the beginning.

Romita succeeds with this cover. This cover slowly rised up in the polls and was one that seemed to be agreed upon by Spidey loyalists.

1173786-asm039possible.jpg

# 13 - AMAZING SPIDERMAN 39 - receiving 55 votes.

A new artist by the name of John Romita took over the reigns of Amazing Spiderman with this issue, and what a shocker of a cover it was.

Spiderman is unmasked in plain view of an arch villain, with a text box telling us that the Goblin would also be unmasked. When you take over an established title and character it's best to do it with a dynamic effort right from the beginning.

Romita succeeds with this cover. This cover slowly rised up in the polls and was one that seemed to be agreed upon by Spidey loyalists.

1173786-asm039possible.jpg

That cover is the quintessential Spider-man cover. The fact that it's not in the Top Ten is a sacrilege. sumo.gif

# 12 - FANTASTIC FOUR 12 - receiving 57 points.

The Crossover that started it all. Marvel would gain a reputation of having it's guest stars and crossovers, and here's where it all began. This was slightly hinted at in a previous issue off FF where Johnny Storm was reading a Hulk comic.

Another Kirby cover, this time showing the Hulk slowly waiting for the FF to get into position for his attack. This cover would receive a tribute nod from Thor # 404 years later.

1173823-ff012.jpg

That cover is the quintessential Spider-man cover. The fact that it's not in the Top Ten is a sacrilege. sumo.gif
The top ten are hard to argue with. You've seen a steady incline in votes, but from here on out the numbers rise/jump and many forum members were in agreement.

I was actually surprised... for a group of guys that disagree on everything from page color to spine stress, collectively you guys in the end are very similar. 893whatthe.gif

The Crossover that started it all. Marvel would gain a reputation of having it's guest stars and crossovers, and here's where it all began. This was slightly hinted at in a previous issue off FF where Johnny Storm was reading a Hulk comic.

Another Kirby cover, this time showing the Hulk slowly waiting for the FF to get into position for his attack. This cover would receive a tribute nod from Thor # 404 years later.

1173823-ff012.jpg

one of the rare appearances of "The Three-Fingered Hulk," too

As much as I love the FF, I gotta say that that's just a so-so cover for me. Nothing special about it at all save for its key status as an early (the first?) Marvel crossover. confused-smiley-013.gif

1173823-ff012.jpg

boo.gif Ugh art is pretty bad on this one actually - but here again I guess we see the Key issue swaying some votes.

# 11 - NICK FURY AGENT OF SHIELD 6 - receiving 71 points

Another Steranko at his finest, cover. Many voters agreed on this cover as it's the 4th cover to make it in the top 35. I had never noticed the similarities to Mystery in Space 90 until Burntboy pointed it out.

1173885-nfs06.jpg

boo.gif Ugh art is pretty bad on this one actually - but here again I guess we see the Key issue swaying some votes.
FF 72 to me is superior.

Another of the Steranko NF covers I picked. (In fact, I had this one at Number One hail.gif) 10 covers to go... 5 of my picks have showed up so far, 5 not yet... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

1173823-ff012.jpg

I agree, Key issue but not aesthetically pleasing.

What is our focal point? The cave column! Just a (In this corner Hulk, and in this corner FF!) cover setup.

I agree, Key issue but not aesthetically pleasing.

What is our focal point? The cave column! Just a (In this corner Hulk, and in this corner FF!) cover setup.

You guys are totally missing the blue dot that dots the 'i' of the title. wink.gif