• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SILVER AGE COVER WINNERS # 14 - # 11

33 posts in this topic

# 11 - NICK FURY AGENT OF SHIELD 6 - receiving 71 points

Another Steranko at his finest, cover. Many voters agreed on this cover as it's the 4th cover to make it in the top 35. I had never noticed the similarities to Mystery in Space 90 until Burntboy pointed it out.

1173885-nfs06.jpg

This was my #2 pick. I had three Steranko SHIELD covers in my Top 10, and could have chosen a couple more but had to spread my votes around at least a little bit. 27_laughing.gif And I did notice the similarity between this and MIS 90 - which was one of the reasons (backwards though my reasoning might be) that I didn't include MIS 90 in my Top 10.

I love this cover - obviously - but wasn't it also a swipe from an EC Weird Science/Fantasy book? Can't recall exactly, but i remember some Wally Wood cover looking very similar to this one.

Five of my picks have shown up so far, and I'm pretty confidant that at least 2 or 3 more will make the Top 10. thumbsup2.gif

Another Steranko at his finest, cover. Many voters agreed on this cover as it's the 4th cover to make it in the top 35. I had never noticed the similarities to Mystery in Space 90 until Burntboy pointed it out.

1173885-nfs06.jpg

This was my #2 pick. I had three Steranko SHIELD covers in my Top 10, and could have chosen a couple more but had to spread my votes around at least a little bit. 27_laughing.gif And I did notice the similarity between this and MIS 90 - which was one of the reasons (backwards though my reasoning might be) that I didn't include MIS 90 in my Top 10.

I love this cover - obviously - but wasn't it also a swipe from an EC Weird Science/Fantasy book? Can't recall exactly, but i remember some Wally Wood cover looking very similar to this one.

Five of my picks have shown up so far, and I'm pretty confidant that at least 2 or 3 more will make the Top 10. thumbsup2.gif

Could it be this one you're thinking about?

1174223-WeirdScience12s.jpg

1174223-WeirdScience12s.jpg.894c69409f9c865600cbcc95d52c087f.jpg

# 12 - FANTASTIC FOUR 12 - receiving 57 points.

The Crossover that started it all. Marvel would gain a reputation of having it's guest stars and crossovers, and here's where it all began. This was slightly hinted at in a previous issue off FF where Johnny Storm was reading a Hulk comic.

Another Kirby cover, this time showing the Hulk slowly waiting for the FF to get into position for his attack. This cover would receive a tribute nod from Thor # 404 years later.

1173823-ff012.jpg

fantastic four #12 was second on my list --I can't believe this book didn't crack the top ten! Kirby's use of bright colors on a grey background are masterful on this cover! Love that early kirby hulk! If only kirby had kept pencilling the big green guy as long as he did thor! As far as I'm concerned nobody draws hulk like Kirby!

The Crossover that started it all. Marvel would gain a reputation of having it's guest stars and crossovers, and here's where it all began. This was slightly hinted at in a previous issue off FF where Johnny Storm was reading a Hulk comic.

Another Kirby cover, this time showing the Hulk slowly waiting for the FF to get into position for his attack. This cover would receive a tribute nod from Thor # 404 years later.

1173823-ff012.jpg

fantastic four #12 was second on my list --I can't believe this book didn't crack the top ten! Kirby's use of bright colors on a grey background are masterful on this cover! Love that early kirby hulk! If only kirby had kept pencilling the big green guy as long as he did thor! As far as I'm concerned nobody draws hulk like Kirby!

Do you think?

Personaly I don't think this cover has aged well, and ranks way down the list of great Kirby SA covers. I didn't even place it in my final 30, and I am a huge Kirby fan. confused-smiley-013.gif

Do you think?

Personaly I don't think this cover has aged well, and ranks way down the list of great Kirby SA covers. I didn't even place it in my final 30, and I am a huge Kirby fan. confused-smiley-013.gif

I think the parody just about sums it up. smirk.gif

NotJust4Breakfast3.jpg

1173823-ff012.jpg

Do you think?

893whatthe.gifit's easy for me to see the greatness of this cover and i know the idea of it being a "key" didn't affect my decision one bit! In fact i must admit i am shocked that i feel the need to defend FF #12! I can't believe so many people sounded off negatively about it! As far as aging goes to me this book is timeless!

headbang.gif Another of my top 10. Just an awesome cover. This is the third Steranko cover so far? It will be interesting to see which ones made the top 10. The top SA covers in my opinion SHOULD be dominated by Kirby and Steranko, although not necessarily all these Kirby Hulk cross-over covers.

headbang.gif Another of my top 10. Just an awesome cover. This is the third Steranko cover so far? It will be interesting to see which ones made the top 10. The top SA covers in my opinion SHOULD be dominated by Kirby and Steranko, although not necessarily all these Kirby Hulk cross-over covers.

Heck, that's the fouth Steranko SHIELD cover so far! Five total including the Cap.

1173885-nfs06.jpg

Personally, I think the cover has more in common with this Lee Elias TOMB OF TERROR cover:

sosd2s.jpg

1173823-ff012.jpg

boo.gif Ugh art is pretty bad on this one actually - but here again I guess we see the Key issue swaying some votes.

But you could say that about any age.

I see why it made it. It's got a nice feel to it.

I think the positioning of the earth / moon in the Background is the compelling factor and I agree with Harry, Steranko was probably insoired by the MIS Adam Strange cover.

Still this is a great one no doubt about it.

# 14 NICK FURY AGENT OF SHIELD 7 - receiving 53 votes.

This cover will blow your mind. It's a visual mild altering drug without the side-effects.

Steranko creates yet another masterpiece. hail.gif

1173703-nfs7.jpg

This one is just mind blowing. hail.gif And although I prefer #4 for shear Steranko originality, this cover still ranks as one of the greatest comic book covers of all time.