• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SILVER AGE COVER WINNERS # 9

57 posts in this topic

# 9 CAPTAIN AMERICA 110 - receiving 79 votes

You guessed it. A Hulk crossover. Plus having the talented Steranko as the artist was a huge bonus. Great choice of colors and nice shadows on Hulk's face makes one question if there was anything else that could have been better about this cover. This book rised steadily in the polls until it felt right at home in the top 10.

1173953-cap110.jpg

In my mind its the most overrated cover of the SA age. shy.gif

Strange Tales 167 gossip.gif

but this is a close second. stats, stats and more stats. and the disconnect between the Hulk's arm and shoulder still bother me.

i would LOVE to see the OA for this thing

Cool book, but this contest should be renamed "Best Silver Age Hulk covers". foreheadslap.gif
It does make you realize the impact the Hulk had on the Silver Age. Not bad for a character that lost his own title. smile.gif

Cool book, but this contest should be renamed "Best Silver Age Hulk covers". foreheadslap.gif
It does make you realize the impact the Hulk had on the Silver Age. Not bad for a character that lost his own title. smile.gif

King Size Hulk 1 hasn't placed yet. Even I voted for that one! 893applaud-thumb.gif

King Size Hulk 1 hasn't placed yet. Even I voted for that one! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Marvel realized the Hulk needed his own title again so it didn't take long. thumbsup2.gif

Good cover but far from Steranko's best. I used to like this one a lot more, but I've come to dislike the weird perspective and awkward sizes of the characters. I much prefer CA 111 and ST 167.

Good cover but far from Steranko's best. I used to like this one a lot more, but I've come to dislike the weird perspective and awkward sizes of the characters. I much prefer CA 111 and ST 167.

King Size Hulk #1. sumo.gif

Although it is nice to see so many cool Steranko covers making the list. I had three in my top 10, and two of them have shown up so far... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Not to mention Tales to Astonish 93, Hulk 105, and maybe Hulk 1!

Hulk sweep baby! 893applaud-thumb.gif

King Size Hulk #1. sumo.gif

That was on my list as well, and I'll bet it places in the Top 10. How can it miss? It's got that classic battle between Hulk and his logo.

Much as I love Steranko, I think this cover is overrated. I much prefer #111 and 113, and ended up voting for 113.

Man, there is something about a certain green-skinned character that just causes the fan boys to automatically press the vote button. foreheadslap.gif

Much as I love Steranko, I think this cover is overrated. I much prefer #111 and 113, and ended up voting for 113.

Man, there is something about a certain green-skinned character that just causes the fan boys to automatically press the vote button. foreheadslap.gif

A lot of the covers I have seen so far have been overrated. I will be flamed for saying this, but a LOT of Kirby's stuff has not stood the test of time well at all. Same goes for Ditko. Without nostaligic connections a decent chunk of these covers wouldn't be near the top 10. confused-smiley-013.gif

I prefer 111, myself. I've never understood the draw of 110 compared to the other two covers from his cap run, but people seem to prefer 110. To my mind, 111 is the quintessential Captain America image.

Hulk really is the strongest one there is , apparently.

(post 7999 I get to use my favorite comic related phrase AND talk about one of my favorite covers... cloud9.gif)

I will be flamed for saying this, but a LOT of Kirby's stuff has not stood the test of time well at all.

Notwithstanding the fact that I disagree with this statement, I'm not sure what you're looking for. Kirby's style DEFINED the silver age. The two are synonymous. It's hard for me to conceive how a top covers of the SA contest could not be dominated by Kirby.