• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SILVER AGE COVER WINNERS # 9

57 posts in this topic

Cap 110 Destroys the JIM and FF Hulk covers IMO. The use of size is the cool factor as the Monster comes through the Wall chasing the diminuitive Bucky with Cap coming to the Rescue. I mean I love all the Steranko Caps, but c'mon 113 is a Tomb Stone cover sleeping.gif

The size is symbolic -- it's a deliberate distortion, without which the design would not be balanced or interesting.

Er, I thought that's what I was implying?

Cap 110 Destroys the JIM and FF Hulk covers IMO. The use of size is the cool factor as the Monster comes through the Wall chasing the diminuitive Bucky with Cap coming to the Rescue. I mean I love all the Steranko Caps, but c'mon 113 is a Tomb Stone cover sleeping.gif

The size is symbolic -- it's a deliberate distortion, without which the design would not be balanced or interesting.

Your also showing up with the sleeping.gif graemlin a lot. Are you in the wrong forum? poke2.gif

thumbsup2.gif I was just spelling it out for the great unwashed.

Your also showing up with the sleeping.gif graemlin a lot. Are you in the wrong forum? poke2.gif

If Silver Surfer #4 is not in the Top 2 I may indeed be in the wrong forum poke2.gif

Much as I love Steranko, I think this cover is overrated. I much prefer #111 and 113, and ended up voting for 113.

Man, there is something about a certain green-skinned character that just causes the fan boys to automatically press the vote button. foreheadslap.gif

A lot of the covers I have seen so far have been overrated. I will be flamed for saying this, but a LOT of Kirby's stuff has not stood the test of time well at all. Same goes for Ditko. Without nostaligic connections a decent chunk of these covers wouldn't be near the top 10. confused-smiley-013.gif

it all depends on what you are looking for! when i was a teenager if the book wasn't drawn by byrne,starlin, or smith it wasn't up to snuff, but as i got older i learned to appreciate the charm of the early silver age marvels. Kirby and Ditko covers aren't as tightly drawn as Neal Adams or Steranko but they have great eye appeal, and use layouts and colors particularly well. From my own experience it seems to me that people who enjoy tight renderings will often overlook or dismiss the artistic expression of these early silvers!

Much as I love Steranko, I think this cover is overrated. I much prefer #111 and 113, and ended up voting for 113.

Man, there is something about a certain green-skinned character that just causes the fan boys to automatically press the vote button. foreheadslap.gif

A lot of the covers I have seen so far have been overrated. I will be flamed for saying this, but a LOT of Kirby's stuff has not stood the test of time well at all. Same goes for Ditko. Without nostaligic connections a decent chunk of these covers wouldn't be near the top 10. confused-smiley-013.gif

it all depends on what you are looking for! when i was a teenager if the book wasn't drawn by byrne,starlin, or smith it wasn't up to snuff, but as i got older i learned to appreciate the charm of the early silver age marvels. Kirby and Ditko covers aren't as tightly drawn as Neal Adams or Steranko but they have great eye appeal, and use layouts and colors particularly well. From my own experience it seems to me that people who enjoy tight renderings will often overlook or dismiss the artistic expression of these early silvers!

Well said. I would read Byrne X-Men when I was a kid but kept noticing those older comics. Some of the Avengers covers drew me in. Now I even like Don Heck.

I see where some have said that a couple of artists werent getting any credit because of Kirby and Steranko but we could add to that list all day long.

Severin comes to mind.

...that gives me an idea. First off, I was curious how my 10 picks fared in the final tally of votes. But I realized my sent PMS arent saved, but my received ones are. Is that true fopr everyone? I cj=hecked all my preferences and cant fine ANY place to set these preferences.. Any help?

but I wanted to score my choices and see how I did. So, my idea is this: Could Mica and CBGuy take out votes and calculate which of us picked the most and the highest? It would be cool to see how we all compare with each other in our choices. The highest scorers would be closest to the mainstream of opinions....

what do ya think guys? too tired from number-crunching the winning covers to get back in there and recalculate again??

...that gives me an idea. First off, I was curious how my 10 picks fared in the final tally of votes. But I realized my sent PMS arent saved, but my received ones are. Is that true fopr everyone? I cj=hecked all my preferences and cant fine ANY place to set these preferences.. Any help?

Gotta check the "save" box for each PM you send.

but I wanted to score my choices and see how I did. So, my idea is this: Could Mica and CBGuy take out votes and calculate which of us picked the most and the highest? It would be cool to see how we all compare with each other in our choices. The highest scorers would be closest to the mainstream of opinions....

This is a contest I'm happy to lose. tongue.gif

Well said. I would read Byrne X-Men when I was a kid but kept noticing those older comics. Some of the Avengers covers drew me in. Now I even like Don Heck.

I see where some have said that a couple of artists werent getting any credit because of Kirby and Steranko but we could add to that list all day long.

Severin comes to mind.

I hear ya about Kirby. A lot of his stuff is great, but not GREAT. but he's still the prototype for nearly ALL of Marvel Comics, and nobody does power like old Jack. I wasnt a huge fan growing up but have come to really papreciate his work.

Kirby is a great artist, but his volume may overstate his quality. IMO his THor covers are best in terms of consistency over a run. Then the FF covers - the early's are hit and miss, but he rounds into it nicely for the Silver Surfers. But when he strays away from those two titles it gets sketchy, some great but more often than not mediocre is the word that I come up with.

Still I give him his due as one of the defining artists of the SA - through sheer volume alone he imprinted his mythos of thousands of people.

Good cover but far from Steranko's best. I used to like this one a lot more, but I've come to dislike the weird perspective and awkward sizes of the characters. I much prefer CA 111 and ST 167.

King Size Hulk #1. sumo.gif

Although it is nice to see so many cool Steranko covers making the list. I had three in my top 10, and two of them have shown up so far... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Since King Size Hulk #1 has surfaced they have now all shown up. acclaim.gif

I had King Size Hulk #1 in second, Nick Fury #4 in fifth and Nick Fury #7 in tenth. All awesome covers, and a couple of his X-Men covers would also have been in my top twenty.

As many people have already said, Jack Kirby was the king of the Silver Age, but I think that Jim Steranko was a very close second. At least as far as covers alone go. sumo.gif

Yeah right... that's exactly what Liefeld fans say about his work too. yeahok.gif

Steranko may be the top cover designer of the SA, but as a pure artist, he sucks pretty hard and I put this "shrunken Bucky" image right up there with all his other spatial lapses, extended necks, cross-eyed females, etc.

Steranko may be the top cover designer of the SA, but as a pure artist, he sucks pretty hard

Of all the things you've ever said, that is by far just about the stupidest. If your definition of a "pure artist" is someone who can draw everything perfectly accurately, which by the way is something EVERY aspiring commercial artist can do, then you're obviously clueless if you think that Steranko didn't know how to do that.

Steranko may be the top cover designer of the SA, but as a pure artist, he sucks pretty hard

Of all the things you've ever said, that is by far just about the stupidest. If your definition of a "pure artist" is someone who can draw everything perfectly accurately, which by the way is something EVERY aspiring commercial artist can do, then you're obviously clueless if you think that Steranko didn't know how to do that.

Hey, Steranko Fanboy #17, I am judging ONLY his ability to draw COMIC BOOK ART, not his overall abilities, and when I see his "silly putty" poses, warped arms and legs, cross-eyed gals, mongoIoid faces, and overall poor anatomy, I just laugh. Some stuff he draws is just pitiful, and if he had worked in comics longterm like Kirby and Adams, there is no way he'd be as revered today.

But as a art designer and composer he was one of the best, and believe me, I do appreciate that part of his work. Some of his layouts are staggeringly good, and he was definitely an innovator in that field.

I'd compare him to Bob Dylan, an exceptional lyricist with the ability to create superb harmonies, but the poor guy couldn't sing to save his life. Still a great musician, songwriter, composer and performer, but an average to poor singer, technically.

hey hey hey now - - - dont be ripping on Dylan! His voice is integral to his musical talent. Now youre tone deaf AND art blind! 27_laughing.gif

btw - - whats an art designer anyway?

And JC, please dont be offended by mt post. Your comments about Steranko invite the scorn you receive..

hey hey hey now - - - dont be ripping on Dylan! His voice is integral to his musical talent. Now youre tone deaf AND art blind! 27_laughing.gif

Your love of Steranko as a technically perfect artist is understood. 27_laughing.gif

P.S. A top-notch art designer tends to create visually and emotionally powerful images, pictures, logos or other work, usually for ads or other work like movie posters, record covers, magazine work, etc.

Isn't Red a graphic art designer?