• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SILVER AGE COVER WINNERS # 8

22 posts in this topic

# 8 AVENGERS 4 - receiving 81 votes

Iconic cover. The dramatic return of Captain America by Jack Kirby.

Making the Avengers even better this cover has been a fan favorite for many years.

I'll let tth2 provide the text on this one.

Cap's back, and he's springing into your face larger than life! I'm not a big fan of the simpler inks on Kirby in the early 60s from the likes of Ayers and Chic Stone, so if I had one criticism of this cover it would be that the linework is a bit primitive. Yet again, an iconic cover that deserves its status.

1174023-aven004.jpg

I wish I would have saved my top 10. I can't remember if I voted for this one or just considered it.
27_laughing.gif You threw one bone to Marvel and it wasn't this.

Adams fanboys ruled the BA poll, looks like the Kirby fanboy are taking hold of this one. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yep, looks like Kirby is taking the Silver Medal while Adams settles for the Bronze! 27_laughing.gif

I wish I would have saved my top 10. I can't remember if I voted for this one or just considered it.
27_laughing.gif You threw one bone to Marvel and it wasn't this.

Want to pm me my list? flowerred.gif

me too, while you're at it. my list, not his. if you still have it, that is

flowerred.gif

Kirby was King in the Silver age . IMHO!! I was there in the 60's buying Thor & FF & others , you couldn't wait till the next issue. And if you missed a issue which sometimes happened, it was a real bummer. frustrated.gif What Lee& Kirby were doing in the 60's in comics was the equivalent to what the Beatles were doing in music . But hey, everybody knows that who is into this stuff. smile.gif Not to get philosophical ,but Burntboy would probally agree, this stuff was "mind blowing"." when you were a kid. The Negative Zone , Silver Surfer, Galactus, Mangog,Thor & Hercules saga , The Destroyer, Inhumans , The Kree, the concepts go on & on . Incredible stuff.

40 + years later I still enjoy the hell out of these comics . That is a true Legacy that Lee & Kirby left us & future generations of comic colectors to enjoy!!

After loading my list up with Steranko, I saved the top spot for this issue, Avengers #4. I actually surprised myself by placing it so high - and i was trying to avoid being swayed by keys - but after FF1 this may be the most iconic Marvel cover of the early Silver Age. One of the greatest illustrations of Captain America ever, charging out at you as if in 3-D, the other Avengers in action poses, and no dialogue balloons to muck things up. The canted horizon line only adds to the tension of the composition. It doesn't get any more Silver Age than that, at least for a Marvel fan. hail.gif

Kirby was King in the Silver age . IMHO!! I was there in the 60's buying Thor & FF & others , you couldn't wait till the next issue. And if you missed a issue which sometimes happened, it was a real bummer. frustrated.gif What Lee& Kirby were doing in the 60's in comics was the equivalent to what the Beatles were doing in music . But hey, everybody knows that who is into this stuff. smile.gif Not to get philosophical ,but Burntboy would probally agree, this stuff was "mind blowing"." when you were a kid. The Negative Zone , Silver Surfer, Galactus, Mangog,Thor & Hercules saga , The Destroyer, Inhumans , The Kree, the concepts go on & on . Incredible stuff.

40 + years later I still enjoy the hell out of these comics . That is a true Legacy that Lee & Kirby left us & future generations of comic colectors to enjoy!!

headbang.gif

Adams fanboys ruled the BA poll, looks like the Kirby fanboy are taking hold of this one. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

though JC has yet to open his yap about it.

Yeah, cause he is one of them.

Oh no, he's clearly an unbiased voice of reason. insane.gif

i bounced this one out of my tenth place spot in the last minute in favor of silver surfer #4! for some reason it seems Kirby was at his best when he was drawing the key issues of the marvel age! You can tell just by reading the early letter columns how inspired Stan was with his witty replies to readers comments and questions and it's easy to see by Kirby's pencils that both of them were on fire!