• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

General question

17 posts in this topic

How much would a cover (not a key issue) of ASM from the late 80's go for? Let's say that it is in average condition, some yellowing, some writing, small tear, a bend in the paper, etc.

Also, how much would the cheapest possible ASM cover go for (any issue) assuming only the condition was less than good.

Just trying to understand how much condition may affect sale prices. I'm sure it's much less rigid in OA then on the comics side.

Thanks!

How much would a cover (not a key issue) of ASM from the late 80's go for? Let's say that it is in average condition, some yellowing, some writing, small tear, a bend in the paper, etc.

This is all determined by the artist who worked on the cover..

It could be a Frenz....from $2000-20,000 (He did 252 most of his covers are 5-9k)

Or a Zeck $5-10,000

or a McFarlane $20-55,000

you might catch an Al Milgrom filler issue for $2k or so

there were some sweet single issues by Sienkiewicz and Mazzucchelli single issues that will run you big bucks too.

But there were lots of other artists who did an issue here and there...so it really depends on who you are talking about, and what the subject matter is.

Also, how much would the cheapest possible ASM cover go for (any issue) assuming only the condition was less than good. Just trying to understand how much condition may affect sale prices. I'm sure it's much less rigid in OA then on the comics side.

There would have to be a SERIOUS condition issue such as bent completely in half, creased through the central image, or the majority of the main image is a non-original art stat, for it to have an effect on the value. For the most part edge wear, yellowing, stains or defects that don't touch the art area don't effect value for most people spending the money it takes to get these covers. It is not like they can go get another cover for the same issue, there is only 1. So it depends on what you mean by "less than good"

If the issue is memorable enough and the artist respected enough, or the example rare enough, art collectors will overlook almost anything.

Hope this helps...if you want to send me more specifics via PM I will help you any way I can.

Chris

It could be a Frenz....from $2000-20,000 (He did 252 most of his covers are 5-9k)

Or a Zeck $5-10,000

or a McFarlane $20-55,000

Unreal. I've still got a lot to learn about this hobby. 893whatthe.gif

That's one of the things I like about OA condition really doesn't matter all that much as long as the art itself isn't harmed.There is only 1,not like you can find another of the same thing in better shape unlike comics.

20K-50K sounds about right for a Mcfarlane ASM Cover, A cover like the #316 would be a 50K page. Love that Cover!!

I would have thought 25K - 30K max......50K is a lot of bread.

There is a big demand for McFarlane ASM covers, being that there are only so many....and the nostaliga factor of today's collectors growing up with that stuff....

I think Chris hit it right on the head with his estimates. JRjr covers are in the 2000-2500 range, the ASM 238 was 40k I believe...JRSR covers are almost always in the 25-60k range

I would have thought 25K - 30K max......50K is a lot of bread.

I totally agree that 50k is alot of bread. I personally am not interested in his covers because of the price tag. I do, however, know of 3 different covers that have changed hands above $40k....the top value was $50k. I guess it is worth it to some collectors.

Chris

I think Chris hit it right on the head with his estimates. JRjr covers are in the 2000-2500 range, the ASM 238 was 40k I believe...JRSR covers are almost always in the 25-60k range

I agree on your JRJR and JRSR estimates...in my original post I limited myself to the period of time between Frenz and McFarlane since he asked about late 80's covers.

Chris

I really can't stand JRJR 27_laughing.gif His style looks horrible! I'd take a mcfarlane cover anyday,Not sure if it's worth 50K to me though,Maybe the Hulk #340 and ASM #316 cover might be the expection. Oh and the Spider-Man #1 Cover as well,but only those 3 I'd go over 50K on,but I don't have that kind of $$ though frown.gif

How about the cover of ASM (V2) #36?

Since the discussion was about 1980's ASM covers I believe Hari was discussing ASM covers from that time period.

Chris

How about the cover of ASM (V2) #36?

Since the discussion was about 1980's ASM covers I believe Hari was discussing ASM covers from that time period.

Chris

I think he was kidding - ASM (V2) #36 is a completely black cover (no art). It was the 9/11 issue.

I think he was kidding - ASM (V2) #36 is a completely black cover (no art). It was the 9/11 issue.

Well then it's worth $5K instead of the $2500......

So does Romita Jr. Still get a cover credit for that???

Chris

Chris

Good question.

I suppose if it was his concept he would get credit. confused-smiley-013.gif

But would he get paid for it? confused-smiley-013.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

In my experience with illustration, yes!

Chris

Good question.

I suppose if it was his concept he would get credit. confused-smiley-013.gif

But would he get paid for it? confused-smiley-013.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

I doubt it was his concept. gossip.gif