• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SILVER AGE COVER WINNERS #4

42 posts in this topic

#4. Avengers #57

Here's a Big Victory for Big John Buscema. Surely a classic cover if ever there was one and easily the most spectacular introduction of a character I've seen on any cover. The coloring is fantastic and overwhelming; it does with red what X-Men #50 does with green. Unlike the X-Men #50, this issue is a key, and that sure seems to help in these contests.

1174472-Avengers-57-94%28LB%29.jpg

This cover finished with 97 points.

1174472-Avengers-57-94(LB).jpg.7ed7eb426efc8254440f238a6140dcae.jpg

Had they just used ordinary colors this might have been merely a Key.

But the Red tint made it eye-catching and beautiful. Probably the top Avengers cover of the first 100 issues (perhaps beyond that)

This is the first Top 10 cover that I've said "WTF?!"

Best Avengers cover ever--really bad [embarrassing lack of self control] with that red.

Thanks to my disinterest in the Hulk I'm starting to think I have a shot at at voting for most of the top five. acclaim.gif

This is getting crazy, as there are a ton of killer covers that have not shown up yet, like Silver Surfer 4 (it''ll be there), Sub-Mariner 8, Uncanny X-Men 56, Amazing Spider-man 50, Fantastic Four 60, Tales To Astonish 93, etc. and they can't ALL be there.

Strange.

This is getting crazy, as there are a ton of killer covers that have not shown up yet, like Silver Surfer 4 (it''ll be there), Sub-Mariner 8, Uncanny X-Men 56, Amazing Spider-man 50, Fantastic Four 60, Tales To Astonish 93, etc. and they can't ALL be there.

Strange.

I can't imagine SS 4 or ASM 50 not making it. Actually, I can't imagine X-Men 56 not making it either. Maybe they will be the top three but I really doubt it. There has to be room for King Size Hulk 1 too. My bet is that XM 56 gets the shaft....which is a real shame. confused-smiley-013.gif

I am sure FF 1 will be in there because it HAS to be or the world would explode, just like AF 15 HAS to be. confused-smiley-013.gif
Errr, Uhhh, FF 1 was not even nominated.

Here was a case where the Marvel fans recognized that not all Keys are favorites.

I only had one person ask me why it wasn't there, as they were too late in nominating it.

I'm a huge FF fan, but I think the world will survive just fine without it being there. thumbsup2.gif

I am sure FF 1 will be in there because it HAS to be or the world would explode, just like AF 15 HAS to be. confused-smiley-013.gif

Here was a case where the Marvel fans recognized that not all Keys are favorites.

I only had one person ask me why it wasn't there, as they were too late in nominating it.

I'm a huge FF fan, but I think the world will survive just fine without it being there. thumbsup2.gif

I realized that 2 seconds after I finished the post, which is why I edited it. Stop posting five seconds after me! foreheadslap.gifpoke2.gif

I realized that 2 seconds after I finished the post, which is why I edited it. Stop posting five seconds after me! foreheadslap.gifpoke2.gif

Thousand one, Thousand two, Thousand three.....

Thousand one, Thousand two, Thousand three.....

popcorn.gif

I can't imagine SS 4 or ASM 50 not making it. Actually, I can't imagine X-Men 56 not making it either. Maybe they will be the top three but I really doubt it. There has to be room for King Size Hulk 1 too. My bet is that XM 56 gets the shaft....which is a real shame. confused-smiley-013.gif

I wouldn't mind if they didn't make the top 10, but to get shafted out of the top 35?

I often wonder if some people/shills vote in blocks for these things? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I wouldn't mind if they didn't make the top 10, but to get shafted out of the top 35?

I often wonder if some people/shills vote in blocks for these things? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You never know what might happen when there are so many rabid DC fanboys voting. poke2.gif

But, don't worry, you won't have to wait too much longer.

893crossfingers-thumb.gif

There are too many great covers to choose from. Fantastic issues end up getting the shaft.

I had heard of just about everybody that voted. No surprise people, nor people that you might suspect of being sneaky Modern fans that would want to cause trouble. confused-smiley-013.gif

And by not mentioning this contest in the other forums I feel that we got a very good consensus of what the Silver fans (THAT FREQUENT A CGC BOARD) like at the given moment.

I had heard of just about everybody that voted.

No, I meant like the Olympics, where I might just *happen* to mention to greggy that my fave was Silver Surfer 4, and that if he voted it #2, I'd vote his fave #2 as well.. then we start telling some other people what our fave picks are... and so on and so on... grin.gif

And by not mentioning this contest in the other forums I feel that we got a very good consensus of what the Silver fans (THAT FREQUENT A CGC BOARD) like at the given moment.

That's a good point, and I think many of the covers reflect that.

I had heard of just about everybody that voted.

No, I meant like the Olympics, where I might just *happen* to mention to greggy that my fave was Silver Surfer 4, and that if he voted it #2, I'd vote his fave #2 as well.. then we start telling some other people what our fave picks are... and so on and so on... grin.gif

that would be hilarious. 27_laughing.gif