• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SILVER AGE COVER WINNERS #4

42 posts in this topic

I often wonder if some people/shills vote in blocks for these things? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif
I had heard of just about everybody that voted.

No, I meant like the Olympics, where I might just *happen* to mention to greggy that my fave was Silver Surfer 4, and that if he voted it #2, I'd vote his fave #2 as well.. then we start telling some other people what our fave picks are... and so on and so on... grin.gif

I think that occurred somewhat in the threads over the last few weeks as people were nominating issues and commenting on them. Is there any real way to avoid that?

Having seen all the voters and the votes, I didn't see any patterns of collusion, and the voters with only a couple exceptions had been around a while and are well-known.

I think that occurred somewhat in the threads over the last few weeks as people were nominating issues and commenting on them. Is there any real way to avoid that?

I've heard that cutting off a perpetrator's finger lowers recurrences by 10%.

Having seen all the voters and the votes, I didn't see any patterns of collusion, and the voters with only a couple exceptions had been around a while and are well-known.
There was that guy Tom_Collector who seemed very enamored with XMEN 56 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

poke2.gif

There was that guy Tom_Collector who seemed very enamored with XMEN 56 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Actually, I think I only had it ranked 3rd, and my SA list from 3-7 are pretty well interchangeable. SS 4 and ASM 39 are my faves, and its a big dropoff after that.

I am just honestly surprised that X-Men 56 did not make it, as I know lots of BA fans that just love that cover, and I've seen it mentioned in many other "Top Cover" lists, both here and on other sites. I guess it was a bit too late-SA for this crowd though.

I love this cover and it nearly made my Top 10. In fact, more than any other book it was on then off then on again... only to be left off to make room for a couple of token DC books. 27_laughing.gif

Seriously, one reason i didn't vote for it was because i didn't think it stood a chance of being so high up in the polls. I'm really surprised that this finished in 4th place. Not that it doesn't deserve it, but i'm still shocked...

This is getting crazy, as there are a ton of killer covers that have not shown up yet, like Silver Surfer 4 (it''ll be there), Sub-Mariner 8, Uncanny X-Men 56, Amazing Spider-man 50, Fantastic Four 60, Tales To Astonish 93, etc. and they can't ALL be there.

Strange.

Hey, I agree Joe. I've been really puzzled, cause even if these didn't make the top 10, I'd surely think they'd have made the top 35.

Wow that is a shocker - I mean its a great cover but just thinking about all the books this beat out 893whatthe.gif I'd be interested to hear the supporters chime in on this one.

hi.gif

Looking at the thumbnails of all the covers this one just captivated me the most and wound up in my top 10 first then my #1 out of them.

This is the first Top 10 cover that I've said "WTF?!"

This was my #1 pick and only one so far in the top 10 that I haven't said WTF. hi.gif

Our tastes are different? What a shocker! tongue.gif

This was my #1 pick and only one so far in the top 10 that I haven't said WTF. hi.gif

Our tastes are different? What a shocker! tongue.gif

It's ok, only two of my 10 picks have even made the top 35 so far. I'm thinking I'll be able to add 2 more to that, but have learned to expect anything.

There's truly a lot of great books though, so it's easy to see why people's lists are so varied.

I can't imagine SS 4 or ASM 50 not making it. Actually, I can't imagine X-Men 56 not making it either. Maybe they will be the top three but I really doubt it. There has to be room for King Size Hulk 1 too. My bet is that XM 56 gets the shaft....which is a real shame. confused-smiley-013.gif

I wouldn't mind if they didn't make the top 10, but to get shafted out of the top 35?

I often wonder if some people/shills vote in blocks for these things? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

There are too many great covers to choose from. Fantastic issues end up getting the shaft.

This one got 97 points? confused-smiley-013.gif

Would it have scored so high if the printers had used a few other colours? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

WTF? I gotta agree.

And you guys didn't say WTF when Flash #123 came up at #7? You can't tell me that one has better eye appeal...and if you can, I'd love to hear it. 27_laughing.gif

Avengers 57 is a great layout, but it looks like it was drawn at same size. Thick lines and not especially well inked. Compare it to many of the other pieces. I agree its a classic design, just unimpressively executed.

Avengers 57 is a great layout, but it looks like it was drawn at same size. Thick lines and not especially well inked. Compare it to many of the other pieces. I agree its a classic design, just unimpressively executed.

Uhhhh, i guess it was sufficiently impressive to the other SA fans that actually voted................ foreheadslap.gif

it made my top twenty but wasn't among my 10 books.

i find it rather hilarious that folks can disagree so vehemently over personal preferences and that our "JC" can even see conspiracies even in this simple "contest"............ 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

there are going to be a lot of cool covers that i found to be "faves" (SF 13, TOS 49, ST 107, B&B 44, etc.,) that won't make the list but i can certainly deal with that....... grin.gif

i find it rather hilarious that folks can disagree so vehemently over personal preferences and that our "JC" can even see conspiracies even in this simple "contest"............ 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

It was a JOKE you dork - I assumed the "Olympic" example and the smiley was enough, but I guess the screwy.gif belongs to you in this case.

Good work. thumbsup2.gif

WTF? I gotta agree.

And you guys didn't say WTF when Flash #123 came up at #7? You can't tell me that one has better eye appeal...and if you can, I'd love to hear it. 27_laughing.gif

It's the simplistic coloring that is the strong point of this piece. The Flash 123 is a superb piece of pen/ink/design. I voted for neither for the top 10, but yes I'm comfortable with Flash 123 being the artistically superior cover.

WTF? I gotta agree.

It's the simplistic coloring that is the strong point of this piece. The Flash 123 is a superb piece of pen/ink/design. I voted for neither for the top 10, but yes I'm comfortable with Flash 123 being the artistically superior cover.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Nothing to me stands out on the Flash 123 that couldn't be said for many comic book covers. I think that's one that got in the top 10 due to what it symbolized or meant to them personally, and that's fine, but no way would I ever say it's aesthetic appeal is superior.