• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How many complete Timely collections currently exist?

81 posts in this topic

Here is a CSV file with the 1623 issues (1621 if you don't count the date variant Marvel Comics #1 and Oscar #3):

http://www.provide.net/~mca/TimelyList.csv

Oh, I did a "sort date" by using three digit months... which allowed me to assign Spring as .035, Summer as .065, Fall as .105 and Winter as .125. I found that having the Fall as .095 caused some issues to sort out of order but .105 works. *shrug*

Here is a CSV file with the 1623 issues (1621 if you don't count the date variant Marvel Comics #1 and Oscar #3):

Oh, I did a "sort date" by using three digit months... which allowed me to assign Spring as .035, Summer as .065, Fall as .105 and Winter as .125. I found that having the Fall as .095 caused some issues to sort out of order but .105 works. *shrug*

Thanks. Looks very useful. Pretty interesting to sort by date.

thumbsup2.gif

I'm not a big fan of grouping 1950-54 books with the WWII books. I think there is a unique spirit in each of those two eras that is worth differentiating.

Is there really a difference in the spirit of a western story from a WWII comic compared to one published in 1950? Or between a horror feature found in Yellowjacket Comics in 1945 when compared to other horror books trying to emulate EC in the 1950s? (I wouldn't dare compare it directly to EC... that would be silly!). Is Georgie Comics #1 (Spring 1945) much different than Georgie Comics #39 (Oct, 1952)?

Aren't what you really digging at is a difference between the popularity peak of the superhero genre and the fading of that genre after WWII? Can you honestly say there was a major change in the other genres (in style/spirit) after the war? These are the questions that lured me into looking at what the differences were between Silver Age and Golden Age books from many genres and not just a narrow focus on the superhero genre (and don't get me wrong, I think the superhero genre is/was very important to the comic industry). But the major factor seems to be related to the CCA Code and what could/could not be shown in comics... Western gunfights had less blood/death, romance comics became less lurid/sexual in tone, funny animal comics phased out racial/stereo-type based animals, and we should all be able to agree on what happened to the crime and horror genres.

While I agree that superhero stories from WWII are something special (I love my Timely and Fox WWII books), I don't think that the end of WWII alone defines an "Age" for the whole of comics (i.e. all genres).

Thanks Giffle. I like that we end up with the exact same count thumbsup2.gif and I had never seen / thought of that trick for inserting Quarterly books 893applaud-thumb.gif

Good list. I did notice Adventures of Big Boy is missing. I think Timely published the early issues.

Earl.

Here is a CSV file of the 2763 Atlas era books listed on BIPComics.com (Nov 1951 to Jun/Jul 1961):

http://www.provide.net/~mca/AtlasList.csv

Included are 12x2 issue of the Big Boy promo comic (east and west versions, so 24 in total), and the 3 known Birds Eye promo comics (there are probably more). Missing from the list are the three issues of Snafu as it is a cartoon magazine and is found in the Marvel [Humorama] section on BIP along with all the Timely era joke/cartoon digests, Atlas era skin/cartoon magazines, the photo-caption books, and the non-comic Marvel magazines that sometimes find their way into the OPG.

Here is a CSV file of the 2763 Atlas era books listed on BIPComics.com (Nov 1951 to Jun/Jul 1961):

http://www.provide.net/~mca/AtlasList.csv

Included are 12x2 issue of the Big Boy promo comic (east and west versions, so 24 in total), and the 3 known Birds Eye promo comics (there are probably more). Missing from the list are the three issues of Snafu as it is a cartoon magazine and is found in the Marvel [Humorama] section on BIP along with all the Timely era joke/cartoon digests, Atlas era skin/cartoon magazines, the photo-caption books, and the non-comic Marvel magazines that sometimes find their way into the OPG.

Giffle, running the count independently, I find 2,766 issues excluding any issues from June or July or June/July 1961 and 2,780 including those months' issues and that's excluding any Big Boy comics.

Later, I'll go ahead and download your file and try and look for differences to reconcile my count to yours.

I use this site for my western reference.....

It's got tons of nice covers with writer & art data on loads of Atlas/Timely books.....If you keep hitting the refresh botton a new cover tops up or you can look up individual titles/runs....I love this site !!

Atlas Tales

Mr Gatlin keeps the site pretty current....I've sent scans on covers that were missing.

Hope this helps the thread...!!

Here is a CSV file of the 2763 Atlas era books listed on BIPComics.com (Nov 1951 to Jun/Jul 1961)

By the way, that compares to about 3,430 DCs for the same time span or about 670 comics more.

I don't know if this is going to be any help but this article ran in Amazing Heroes back in 1985 and Rosa counts up the total amount of issues for all newstand publishers. I noticed that he stopped Atlas in 1957. Interesting article nonetheless.

IC2.jpg

IC3.jpg

I don't know if this is going to be any help but this article ran in Amazing Heroes back in 1985 and Rosa counts up the total amount of issues for all newstand publishers. I noticed that he stopped Atlas in 1957. Interesting article nonetheless.

Thanks for posting those pages. thumbsup2.gif

Great info, thanks. Interesting that Harvey and Charlton are at #4 and #5. I wouldn't have guessed that.

Thanks for posting those pages. thumbsup2.gif

I agree -- always nice to see these numbers.

I consider post-implosion books to be Marvels -- which is probably what Rosa is doing also by stopping in 57.

I don't know if this is going to be any help but this article ran in Amazing Heroes back in 1985 and Rosa counts up the total amount of issues for all newstand publishers.

I agree, thanks for posting that. Which issue is it in?

As for Harvey having a ton of issues, there was a comic book marketplace market report (probably the Naiman report) maybe three years ago where the writer made the claim that Richie Rich appeared in more comics than Batman. I found that really hard to believe because I believe he didn't qualify it by saying 1960 to 1980 or any other qualifier. But yeah, lots of Harveys out there.

Marc

Great info, thanks. Interesting that Harvey and Charlton are at #4 and #5. I wouldn't have guessed that.

I would assume that currently, Archie would have moved up to #3 (or maybe 4 if Dell/Gold Key are considered together) since neither Harvey or Charlton has had much output in the past 20 years.

I would assume that currently, Archie would have moved up to #3 (or maybe 4 if Dell/Gold Key are considered together) since neither Harvey or Charlton has had much output in the past 20 years.

I was thinking something similar. How many titles a month does Archie publish now and what do you think the monthly average has been the past 20 years? I'd also be curious as to your guess of how many of those were digests.

Marc

Well, it's after my period of interest, but there were many, many Archie books published 1985-2006. I would guess that there are probably 1500+ digests alone and maybe a similar number of regular sized books. These are all guesses since I'm too lazy to actually look anything up 27_laughing.gif

ComicsPriceGuide.com has the following counts....

Archie: 9,289

Image: 6,963

Dark Horse: 5,485

There are still missing titles in the CPG listings but it gives a rough idea of the volume of comics published.