• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How many complete Timely collections currently exist?

81 posts in this topic

I was browsing through the current Alter Ego (Timely Super-Hero index issue) when a statement by Michelle Nolan caught my eye. She says that the Timely collection assembled by late Marvel historian/indexer George Olshevsky (apparently assembled over a 15 yr period in the 60's and 70's and later broken up) is the only complete set of Timely she has ever heard of.

This has me wondering if there are any complete sets currently out there. Interesting question because on the face of it, it would seem to be an easier task than a complete set of GA DC, and we know there's at least one or two of those out there right now.

Forum poster Timely has stated or at least strongly implied in another thread that Verzyl has them all. How about Geppi? Any other known complete sets out there?

If by complete one is counting all the funny animal and other non-superhero titles up to 1949, then there may be less than one thinks

Yeah, I would be counting those.

Also brings up the question of what the toughest Timely books are, both superhero or non-superhero. Any opinions?

I don't know about complete, but I think Jon Berk said he has a complete Marvel Mystery collection . Maybe Jon could enlighten us. I know a dealer also who told me he has a complete Captain America run in different grades. Richie Evans I think might have a complete run of the Hero stuff ,at least I think he was working on it. Most difficult to find, Daring Mystery # 2, that's what the concensus used to be. Maybe that's changed. confused-smiley-013.gif

Most difficult to find, Daring Mystery # 2, that's what the concensus used to be. Maybe that's changed. confused-smiley-013.gif

Nolan's article also reminded me about some of the books that I seem to recall as having been mentioned as tough (or a combination of tougher and coveted) in CBM or Overstreet over the years -- such as Comedy Comics #11, Witness #1, and Ideal #4.

There's also a couple of annuals, Marvel Mystery 132 pages & Captain America Comics 132 pages, Canadian. These are at least as rare or rarer than Daring Mystery Comics # 2.

I don't know about complete, but I think Jon Berk said he has a complete Marvel Mystery collection . Maybe Jon could enlighten us. I know a dealer also who told me he has a complete Captain America run in different grades. Richie Evans I think might have a complete run of the Hero stuff ,at least I think he was working on it. Most difficult to find, Daring Mystery # 2, that's what the concensus used to be. Maybe that's changed. confused-smiley-013.gif

I do have marvel 1-100, mystic 1-10, daring 1-8 and a scattering of other key Timelys. I stopped with the "run thing" with Marvels when I discovered other wonders of the GA (and the other addiction of original art). John Veryzl has "a lot" of the MH timelys.

For the record, I have a complete Comic Mag-Chesler-Ultem-Centaur collection, a complete pre-War Fox collection and almost a complete 1940s Ace magazine collection...

There's also a couple of annuals, Marvel Mystery 132 pages & Captain America Comics 132 pages, Canadian. These are at least as rare or rarer than Daring Mystery Comics # 2.

That's another interesting question -- whether those should be included in a theoretical "complete Timely set" for the sake of argument. Extremely cool and sought after books, but on the other hand that could potentially open the door to numerous other little-known Canadian books with Timely material. Of course, those two have the benefit of having the same title as the US run, which many (most?) of the other Canadian books would not.

Nolan did state that she did not consider those Timely publications for the sake of her index, but I suspect you're right that many potential Timely completists would want them.

That's another interesting question -- whether those should be included in a theoretical "complete Timely set" for the sake of argument. Extremely cool and sought after books, but on the other hand that could potentially open the door to numerous other little-known Canadian books with Timely material. Of course, those two have the benefit of having the same title as the US run, which many (most?) of the other Canadian books would not.

Nolan did state that she did not consider those Timely publications for the sake of her index, but I suspect you're right that many potential Timely completists would want them.

I reacted in pretty much the same fashion you did. I would say that they shouldn't be counted because the kid buying those Timelies in Kansas City, Denver or Chicago would never have seen those Canadian annuals. I don't see how they should be considered as part of the set. Now, if the collector wants to add them, fine but not a necessity.

I do have marvel 1-100, mystic 1-10, daring 1-8 and a scattering of other key Timelys. I stopped with the "run thing" with Marvels when I discovered other wonders of the GA (and the other addiction of original art). John Veryzl has "a lot" of the MH timelys.

For the record, I have a complete Comic Mag-Chesler-Ultem-Centaur collection, a complete pre-War Fox collection and almost a complete 1940s Ace magazine collection...

hail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

Richie had a lot of exemplary copies of Timely hero books, but by no means was it a complete set.

Those other sets are, in many ways, more interesting than the Timelys. And they are much tougher to complete. hail.gif

Richie had a lot of exemplary copies of Timely hero books, but by no means was it a complete set.

He's pretty close now.

There's a guy in SC who's probably >50% there too.

hail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

You think that is something? I also have a complete run of Red Raven Comics!!!! jon

hail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

You think that is something? I also have a complete run of Red Raven Comics!!!! jon

Me too. acclaim.gif

I have a friend who is, by his estimation, well over 80% to having a complete Timely set. He is the ultimate completist and bargain hunter, and I often hear stories about just missing out on the last Sailor Sweeney or Venus he needs on eBay.

I believe he told me recently that nearly all of his "Atlas" runs are complete. I'm sure most of the Timely books he is missing are the 'big money' books, not that he doesn't have a big set of them as well.

Looking at the effort he has put into doing this, along with the trouble he has in simply acquiring a complete copy of some of the scarce esoteric stuff... When they do come up, they go for well, well above what he is willing to pay...or have disappeared from the catalog dealers stock before he gets to them. I really think it is exceptionally difficult. It becomes easier if you are willing to pay $75 for a good copy of that book that guides for $15...

If you were starting from scratch... Well, I can't imagine the difficulty you would have even given infinite funds. When is the last time we have seen a full run of USA or Blonde Phantom or CA or All-Winners or Suspense offered in one place? Even just a "good" reader run? You might have an easier time finding HG slabs for sale and piecing a run together.

I'm quite interested into looking into M. Nolan's Timely checklist as a comparision for the one my friend developed himself. I met Ms. Nolan at WW Chicago last year. She makes quite an impression with the breadth and depth of knowledge on all things GA.

I'm quite interested into looking into M. Nolan's Timely checklist as a comparision for the one my friend developed himself. I met Ms. Nolan at WW Chicago last year. She makes quite an impression with the breadth and depth of knowledge on all things GA.

She gives a little backstory into how she originally put it together in the issue -- I guess she originally published Timely, MLJ, and Nedor checklists in the late 60's. She drove around the country to look at major collections to piece all the info together.

Hard to imagine undertaking that kind of task in that era, before major dealers, before Overstreet, before anybody quite knew what all was out there.

Interesting info about your friend getting close, and as a bargain hunter! Impressive on both counts.