• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Worst Comic Book Artist

17 posts in this topic

OK...have you ever had a favorite book ruined by an artist whose work you just can't stand?.....so bad that you just stop buying the book or lose interest in it??

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

My vote...(and I think I'm going to get a lot of flack for this) would go to Mike Grell. makepoint.gif

There was a while in the mid 70's when It looked like he was on every DC book there was...covers included....One sure fire way for me to but a book back on the shelf was a Mike Grell cover. rantpost.gif

Who's work did you find most unappealing?

Jonny D.

Ju Gomez...

does a book called Psycho Hunter from Boneyard Press...

He used to be a customer in my shop, and would bring me samples of his art for his self-published book (before he cut a deal with Hart Fisher). Man, I have never had to work so hard to be polite in my life...

I give the guy props, though. He's done 7 issues in 3 years, and he's almost to the point where he can draw women with smaller chins than Jay Leno... almost...

OK...have you ever had a favorite book ruined by an artist whose work you just can't stand?.....so bad that you just stop buying the book or lose interest in it??

In the 1970's, there were three guys, who if I saw they did the interior art, I would automatically toss it back on the rack, or be angry that I bought it:

Jack Kirby, Frank Robbins and Al Milgrom.

Mike Grell? I won't give you any flack over your selection, but I am crushed.

frown.gif

I grew up on DC's Warlord. Couldn't get enough. That was my Golden Age of Grell Art.

smile.gif

Didn't we have this thread already? I vote for Colleta over Grell.

John Romita Jr.

Ditto, John Romita Jr. I stopped buying Uncanny X-Men in the late 80s specifically because I didn't like his art. He's gotten a bit better--or maybe it's just the colorists and inkers who have gotten better and they make his work more tolerable--and I really don't mind him so much on the current Amazing Spider-Man series. But when my mind wanders to any kind of comparison between he and his dad, it makes me cringe...Romita, Sr's art was SO much more aesthetically pleasing. Not quite as daring as Jr's, but it looked a lot better.

This is a toss up. Don Heck....... Frank Robbins..... Don Heck...... Frank Robbins. The sheer disappointment of watching Frank Robbins destroy what was at the time my favorite, Captain America, only to be replaced by the grotesque silliness of Jack Kirby, narrowly inches out Mr. Fill In...Don Heck. There wasn't an inker alive that could save him. goodevil.gif

how did I almost forget Carmine Infantino? 893blahblah.gif

Keith Giffen.

He was actually involved in a scandle years back copying background scenes from older comics. 893naughty-thumb.gif

I never liked his art before the scandle, and even less after. Think it was right around the time he was doing some Legion of Super Heroes stuff.

Anyone have any more info on this?

Wayne, I agree. I can't believe that someone would mention Mike Grell's name in the same sentence as the words, "worst artist". Just look at the cover that you use as your avatar. Anatomically FLAWLESS, extreme detail, great angles and composition. Right out of the mold of Byrne Hogarth, Hal Foster, etc. PRECISION artwork that looks more like it was done with a CAMERA than pencil because of it's masterful precision and technical excellence. Of course, if that Warlord comic were SLABBED, it would be worth its weight in diamonds.

Mike Grell??? I always thought he was pretty good. In some of his tiles I've picked up I thought he drew it almost life like and was a pretty good artist. The only thing thought was he was rushed. Because he was both writing and drawing them. How many artist can do that? CHRIS

Mike Grell? The keeper of the spash page c'mon, if only some of the books he did covers for were half as good as his covers.

Sal Buscema (sp?) ugh, I think he draws exclusively with a ruler even his circles look straight. Sould have been a city planner. 893frustrated.gif