• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AF #15 scam

30 posts in this topic

I emailed him and asked why he would pay $172 for an AF #15 reprint. He wrote back saying he didn't realize it was a reprint. Just what the seller wanted, I'm sure. That makes me so mad. I told him not to pay.

I emailed him and asked why he would pay $172 for an AF #15 reprint. He wrote back saying he didn't realize it was a reprint. Just what the seller wanted, I'm sure. That makes me so mad. I told him not to pay.

keep us update on the situation if the buyer responds to your email, what a scam artist! mad.gif893frustrated.gif893naughty-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gifmakepoint.gif

Not taking the seller's side but the buyer is also to blame. He couldn't see past his own greed in anticipation of "screwing" over the seller by "stealing" a legit copy of AF 15 for $172 and then flipping it for several thousands of dollars, that he didn't read the small print/description. IMO, he should pay for the auction. We can't have people just deciding that "I didn't read the auction, therfore I shouldn't pay." For example, I'm bidding on x-men books and I snipe someting for $20. In my haste, I found out I won an X-men 120 in the last seconds for $20? WTF??? In FN/VF condition, no less. I have a few of these in similar or better condition. Initially I thought the seller must have pulled a switcharoo - however there were no indications of the item being revised. Just me and my dumb bidding without looking. I paid within seconds of auction end.

Let me ask you guys: What knowledgeable buyer in ther right mind expects a true VG non-restored AF 15 for less than $2K? The only AF15 that you can get for less is a REPRINT. If you do get one for less in said VG condition, you either: screwed over some old lady/family at a yard sale; 2) stole it; 3) found a real insufficiently_thoughtful_person of a seller on eBay, which is not likely for this item; 4) or are smoking some crazy hallucinogenic stuff that 'll make you think that this is possible.

We are not back in the late 70's/early 80's...everyone knows what this issue is worth and if you are just looking for this issue in particular then you know what you should be looking for. If you don't read the description, then you deserve to get bent over for your carelessness and get served a $200 reprint. Pay it and keep it as a reminder that you should read auctions thoroughly before you go on dreaming off making megabucks of a seller's unlikely error or naivete.

Only reason I would take this stand on this deal is that I've had it happen twice to me and I didn't hide the fact that it was a reprint in tiny pitch.

My AF 15 reprint for sale

I've had two listings. First buyer is wildbunch300, who was recommended as a decent legit buyer by some members on this forum. Guy turns out with the same excuse. "I didn't know it was a reprint. I 've been burnt before on ebay" 893blahblah.gif Why is this my problem? I was upfront about it in my auction AND he bid twice, outbidding a legit buyer to get this copy. Did he think I was going to be selling a CGC 7.5 AF 15 for $50? Get real.

Next buyer hckypro96 and the AF 15 lsiting this time - no reply to emails no response - another insufficiently_thoughtful_person of a wannabe fraud buster taking out my legit auction.

It's a waste of time. I get frustrated by this. I thnk I'll try the small print approach next time... 893Rant-Smilie-thumb.gif

Not taking the seller's side but the buyer is also to blame. He couldn't see past his own greed in anticipation of "screwing" over the seller by "stealing" a legit copy of AF 15 for $172 and then flipping it for several thousands of dollars, that he didn't read the small print/description. IMO, he should pay for the auction. We can't have people just deciding that "I didn't read the auction, therfore I shouldn't pay." For example, I'm bidding on x-men books and I snipe someting for $20. In my haste, I found out I won an X-men 120 in the last seconds for $20? WTF??? In FN/VF condition, no less. I have a few of these in similar or better condition. Initially I thought the seller must have pulled a switcharoo - however there were no indications of the item being revised. Just me and my dumb bidding without looking. I paid within seconds of auction end.

Darth I can't agree with you more. Just like crack smokers shouldn't be allowed to sell neither should they be allowed to bid.

I also picked up a book today that I didn't want. I ran out of watching space and therefore put a bid on a 3-d Sheena at a level that would buy a good version (just so as I could monitor the result). Didn't look at the book itself just the description that it was Fine. Well now I own it and having looked at it I can see that it is a POS (fortunately the glasses are still fully attached and intact).

I have paid for it and will leave good feedback because in my opinion I screwed up.

The buyer should pay for the book but the seller should also be hauled over the coals for what is very close to deceptive behaviour.

And then there is the ever popular problem of trying to

list a couple dozen comics on eBay in an hour or so,

and listing the wrong comic with the wrong description.

A few years back I listed, sold, and shipped one of the

Marvel Super Specials, Conan issue, as an original,

# 2, I think, for somewhere around $ 25, the buyer never

snapped, other bidders never snapped, and I never

figured it out until the buyer emailed me back with

the blunder. Thank goodness he was one of my

regulars and had a sense of humor, and actually knew

how much is involved trying to run a comic business.

Needless to say this dealer had egg on his face boo.gif

He couldn't see past his own greed in anticipation of "screwing" over the seller by "stealing" a legit copy of AF 15 for $172 and then flipping it for several thousands of dollars...

Well, I don't agree with you on this one. We don't know what his max bid was. Maybe he bid $3000, but the seller only felt comfortable shilling it up to $172. You can't blame the buyer that it only went for $172.

And if he really believed it was a real AF 15, why wouldn't he bid on it at $172? He's supposed to let some other guy get the "great deal" because he feels guilty for buying it so cheaply? I spend hours checking new "Buy It Now" auctions, as a low BIN is the only way I'm going to find something on eBay to make a profit off. And I'm not looking for a 10% profit either - the more the better. Granted, he should have known it was too good to be true. A lesson learned on his part. I would tell him, "Now let this be a lesson to you," but to make him pay $172 for a reprint, when the seller's scam attempt was blatant, is wrong.

I think he should pay. When you place a bid on something, you had better be prepared to pay for it if you should win!!! If the buyer didn't see the "reprint" in the description, then too bad. He should have read it more carefully. rantpost.gif

LMFAO........that small print is hilarious. 27_laughing.gif

Reminds me a lot of the small print on some legal contracts or on the sides of many consumer products, or the really rapidly spoken, monotone, hard-to-hear disclaimers that radio announcers often tack to the end of a voice advertisement. I doubt you can call it a scam since apparently the courts let people do this kind of stuff in other parts of the US marketplace, but it does seem like very poor ethics--which is exactly what I think whenever I hear announcers make those disclaimers in radio ads.

Got to agee with Darth on this one. Buyer should have read the listing.If it were me, I would leave a red feedback for the transaction as it certainly would not have been a satisfactory conclusion.

your right, any potential buyer should read the whole item description and wondered why a scan wasn't available. but to have "this is a reprint" in small type and font is a bit scandalous. but the saying goes, if it's to good to be true, it usually is. 893blahblah.gif893whatthe.gif893frustrated.gifrantpost.gif

but the saying goes, if it's to good to be true, it usually is. 893blahblah.gif893whatthe.gif893frustrated.gifrantpost.gif

I think the saying..."There's a sucker born every minute"....seems to apply here also... insane.gif

Here's my two cents (since the general complaint on this Forum appears to be that a Buyer should get 1000X what he pays for and now we're complaining about manufacturer's guarantees, disclaimers, fine print, etc.).

I've always felt that I should get WHAT I PAY FOR. Whether I'm buying a car, a bucket of bait, a plastic toy, or a comic. I'm not stupid and naive enough to EXPECT to pay exactly what it cost a retail outlet to stock, or a manufacturer to manufacture an item I'm purchasing. In other words, I don't expect to walk into a jewelry store, ask the price on a particular Rolex, ask the counterperson what the store paid for it, then ask him to estimate what it cost Rolex to produce that item in parts and labor, and DEMAND to have it at THAT price, then walk away yelling "rip-off" when he declines. If I like the price, and I've shopped it around, I BUY it. If all we're concerned with is if someone somewhere is making a penny on our spending dollar, we won't even buy a can of tomatoes because, why should we give Pathmark 99cents when they get it for 42 cents and it costs Progresso only 21 cents to produce that can?

Mostly everyone on this Forum has a severe problem. The SAME one common to almost every member. They want it ALL, and they want it for NOTHING, or GOD help the seller for sticking to his price. You want to walk into a department store, pick out a shirt priced $29.95, say "I'll take it" and expect to be given the entire inventory of the Men's Dept. for that price or you'll leave screaming "FRAUD!".

Here's a simple concept that may aid some in this unrealistic thinking:

If there are NO profits, there will be NO stores. No food, no restaurants, no comic hobby, no vehicles, etc. We'll all have to become farmers and hunters to survive except that we'll have to craft our own ammo out of dirt, because there will be no stores to buy it and we'll have to self fertilize our own crops, because there will be no place to buy bags of manure. Oh yeah, there will also not be an Internet or a CGC because even Megasaurs' money couldn't hold out forever without an unimportant little factor called RETAIL/WHOLESALE/ECONOMICS. There are sites online that discuss economics and how the world we live in is based on them. Perhaps reading a few paragraphs would help aid some misconceptions of the unrealistic altruism of thinking that you should get back $1000+ worth of product for each of your spending dollars.