• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did anybody go to Detroit

6 posts in this topic

I live close and didn't go. Screw MotorCity Comics charging $18 F*#%ing dollars a day and $5 dollars to park as well. I didn't care about any of the appearances of the semi to barely stars or artists there. Why pay $23.00 + gas (60 miles round trip for me) to walk around and look at over-priced books. It was a beautiful weekend and we don't get too many of those a year around here.

Since I live nowhere near anything resembling a major city...

Do "comic convention goers" generally find that most dealers

appear to use Ebay themselves...so everything they sell looks like

Ebay + X% pricing?

Or, are comic conventions a way to find deals far below Ebay prices?

I can't imagine there are many dealers who don't know about Ebay by now...

so what's the incentive to sell below Ebay prices?

And what's the incentive to buy "in person" for more than Ebay prices?

Since I live nowhere near anything resembling a major city...

Do "comic convention goers" generally find that most dealers

appear to use Ebay themselves.

It sure seems as if some dealers are using the times X formula, now we just need to figure out X. last couple shows i went to, prices were ridiculous. and yes, in my opinion ebay is part of the reason. as a matter of fact, i was looking at a book one guy had and he pulled a printout of all of the current copies on ebay for sale now to justify his price. funny enough, the only copy that was at a reasonable price was being bid on by ... me!!! I had to laugh at that.

The Detroit show was OK. At least it still has comic dealers and hasn't been overrun by the other collectibles vendors. Saw the CGC guys (except Steve - he must have been over at the Traci Lords booth smile.gif ) and even gave them a nice Avengers #16 I picked up at the show for a standard grading.

I do agree 100% that the cost of the show is ridiculous ($18 for a day). And it bothers me too that the money goes to the Motor City Comics shysters. Big markup and no deals - hey MCC guys, treat your customers like dirt and they won't be your customers for long.

And Harley Yee has about the best unslabbed stuff I have seen, but man does he mark them up! I think he must figure he can get the slabbed price on some of the gems he has without having to go through the time and expense of sending them to CGC. The best bet is to just not deal with these clowns and hope they eventually feel the pinch.

One thing about this board, it has taught me to not take a NM label on unslabbed books at face value. I saw more than a few books with dings and even folds with a NM price, and just passed them on by. If I see more than a few graded this way by a particular seller, I just give up and move on to another booth.

Anyway, we have a decent, large, and well run convention twice a year here in D-town, so I really don't feel the need to complain too much or boycott the show. There was enough good to outway the bad. Now after I go to Wizard's show in Chicago, maybe I will have something to compare it to and feel the need to vent...

- D.