• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Intriguing Definitional Changes In New 2006 Overstreet Guide

264 posts in this topic

I would rather you charge a little more and make the book bigger actually. or just get rid of the gallery section and have a collectors opinions section. I bet that would work out better than you think.

I would rather hear from the collectors around the world rather than hear from the same people year after year. thumbsup2.gif

893whatthe.gif We know. makepoint.gif

Tom

You may see more comments regarding including the grading definitions in the near future. In fact I hope you do.

As it is, I am considering photocopying an old definition list and pasting them inside the front cover of the latest edition. (sorry whoever's ad that would cover up....no disrespect)

Maybe it's still gold or yellow because I'm such a nice guy. smile.gif
You are a nice guy, but your presence here might be misunderstood. flowerred.gif

And it detracts from the people that would like to leave an impression on Tom to include the grading definitions. (as well as the terminology of the original subject, both are important).

I think Tom can read the posts well enough. It'll be OK. smile.gif

Besides, with my role at the museum, I figured I still had a lot to offer the forum, and with my experience on the Guide, there's still a lot I can talk about in the big world of comics. Or are you trying to show me the door? laugh.gif

I think Tom can read the posts well enough. It'll be OK. smile.gif

Besides, with my role at the museum, I figured I still had a lot to offer the forum, and with my experience on the Guide, there's still a lot I can talk about in the big world of comics. Or are you trying to show me the door? laugh.gif

No please hang around.

I was just explaining why you were all of a sudden having to field questions.

And since you are here, would you like to sign my petition to have the grading definitions RESTORED in future editions. flowerred.gif

Could have set my watch by FlyingDonut's reply.

The BLB book is not a price guide. No prices in it.

Let me take care of your next reply:

"So why don't you put the prices in the BLB book and get all those BLBs out of our Guide, they're infecting us with their very presence! Look, my skin, boiling! Oh no, it's spreading...aghhhh"

Or something like that. smile.gif

I have nothing against the BLBs being in the Comic Book Price Guide. There's clearly a linkage. That being said, keeping the BLB information IN the Price Guide while taking the grading definitions for COMIC BOOKS out strikes me as being just a little off. screwy.gif

A little? A lot! thumbsup2.gif

C'mon Tom, where are your priorities?

I had no idea that the grading definitions were removed from the OS Guide until I read this thread...that's quite bizarre to me. I was on the fence about buying the new guide, but that clinches that this will be a "skip" year for me, as I refer to the grading definitions in the 2005 guide all the time and it makes no sense to have two big guides lying around. The grading definitions only ate up 4 or 5 pages anyway...in a book this huge, surely there must be a way to eke out the space? Please add me to the list of collectors who very much hope that this decision will be reconsidered for the 2007 Guide. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

--Jon

I have to admit that I went to the guide to read the current definitions and thougt, you have got to be kidding me.....only grading for BLB's.

Big mistake on the overstreet guide in my opinion.

This seriously puts the "I don't have a clue how to grade" back into the general public regarding comics.

Put it back in and refer to the grading guides for more detailed explanations on grading.

I have to admit that I went to the guide to read the current definitions and thougt, you have got to be kidding me.....only grading for BLB's.

Are you saying the new comic book price guide has grading definitions for BLB's, but not for comic books? foreheadslap.gif

Yeah, that's exactly what we're saying. thumbsup2.gif

They do have a page on BLB grading (p 270), but nothing on comic books in the Comic Book Price Guide, despite the helpful hint on p. 67: "It's difficult to overstate how much accurate grading plays into getting a good price for your sales or purchases."
foreheadslap.gif

Maybe I won't be buying a guide this year after all. I think I can wait and see if everything is restored and correct for next year's edition.

I wonder how much in sales they would've lost this year had they mentioned before the Guide was released that the grading definitions were not going to be included.. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

OK, understand me that I'm certainly not trying to belittle the importance of the grading definitions. I worked on the Grading Guide, for heaven's sake. But let me see if I have this right:

You're implying that the Price Guide would have suffered significantly in sales this year if people (most of whom are regular buyers of the Guide every year or at least every few years) knew in advance that the two or three pages of grading definitions that have appeared in every single Guide and in their current form in several previous editions, the Grading Guide, and all over the web on countless websites that reprint them without permission and a few that do, were missing from this one edition. Over a thousand pages of pricing and historical info, but that would have sunk the book.

Are we all actually living in the same universe here? smile.gif

OK, understand me that I'm certainly not trying to belittle the importance of the grading definitions. I worked on the Grading Guide, for heaven's sake. But let me see if I have this right:

You're implying that the Price Guide would have suffered significantly in sales this year if people (most of whom are regular buyers of the Guide every year or at least every few years) knew in advance that the two or three pages of grading definitions that have appeared in every single Guide and in their current form in several previous editions, the Grading Guide, and all over the web on countless websites that reprint them without permission and a few that do, were missing from this one edition. Over a thousand pages of pricing and historical info, but that would have sunk the book.

I never said "significant". It was merely the post above mine that got me thinking...

Yes, some loss in sales would have resulted.

here are my questions.You can answer them to the best of your ability or not at all.

1. Were the definitions left out because you want more poeple to buy the grading guide?

2. Were the grading definitons left out because of the same reason you changed the restoration definition with the whole pressing thing to cater to CGC?

I am pretty sure that is what everyone wants to ask.

Very easy to answer those actually.

1) I don't work for Gemstone anymore, I did not work on this edition of the Guide, I have no knowledge of the situation, and it's not my place to comment on it.

2) See answer to #1.

See now my questions were tough ones.

The best advice i could give you is to leave them be on here and not waste your time. They will keep pounding you and you have nothing to do with it.

i know you are trying to help but it will be to no avail on here.

no matter what you will say they will spin it on you.