• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A question for North Carolina board members.

14 posts in this topic

I was born and raised in NC but moved to Austin about 5 years ago. When I lived in Greensboro, I used to drive to Burlington all the time to this one comic store. The time frame would be early 90's and the shop was in a little strip right off of Interstate 40. I seem to recall an automobile dealership right across the road from the store. I think the owner of the store was named Brad and he had some truly sick books. I remember at least 2, maybe three copies of Batman #1 along with other nice ultra key GA. He had a ton of old Mego's and and had a makeshift art gallery in the back lefthand corner of the store. I remember this one gorgeous Wrightson page that was from either a fanzine or possibly Creepy magazine that was simply a one page "story". Wrightson had hand colored it and I think it was something in the Frankenstein vein, but instead of bringing his creation to life, the good doctor incinerated it. It was rather humorous. If anyone ever went to this store, or knows what happened to Brad and his artwork/books, I would love to know. Thanks,

Scott

As a follow-up to my previous post, I don't want to start any rumors but I seem to also remember hearing Brad was either ripped off or taken advantage of by a certain big name dealer. This might explain his disappearance, but I honestly do not know.

Scott

I don't know about this place but a good buddy of mine that has had a shop

in Greenborro probabily wonders why you were traveling to find books...

"Parts Unknown" is a great Comic Store right next to campus there

John Hitchcock (the owner) is a really great guy and has been there since the early eighties.

Don't ever get him started on Wrestling though...

he can talk about Ric Flair until the sun comes up.

grin.gif

As Nerf notes, John Hitchcock (the owner of Part Unknown in Greensboro) knows Wrightson personally (he had him come to the Greensboro show) and I believe he has a killer art collection, but as far as Burlington, I've lived in Raleigh since '91 and never remember a store in Burlington anything like what you're describing. confused-smiley-013.gif

I know John quite well too. I was buying from John when he worked with Jim Amash at the old Acme Comics that was downtown, and continued to buy from him when he opened his own store in the old Cotton Mill Square building. He actually had Wrightson come to a show back around '91 and I was able to meet him then. I saw John's art collection at High Point College and was blown away. Amazing stuff. His Parts Unknown shows were incredible due to the guests he had in attendance. I met Bolland, Mignola, Williamson, George Evans, Dave Stevens, Eisner,and scores more. John was awesome and I spent quite a bit of money with him. So no, it is not John I am talking about. Thanks for your time though. I am sure someone will remember the store, they will just have to see my post. I know, it's a shot in the dark. crazy.gif

Scott

PM Chris Tilleys. I believe he's a Burlington native. thumbsup2.gif

I don't have any knowledge of the store you're talking about-- I got here in '92.

The only other person I can think of (and I don't know if he had a store and can't remember his name, but perhaps you know him) is a collector/dealer that used to come to the shows in Raleigh. He was a big guy (as in 6' 2" ish and 250-280?) and apparently had a near complete Timely collection. He did drop off the radar about 10 years ago, and I understand that he burned several people on his way out, although I don't know any of the particulars.

In any event, it seems John would know who you're talking about since he's been active in that area for 15+ years, so I'd ask him? thumbsup2.gif

The only other person I can think of (and I don't know if he had a store and can't remember his name, but perhaps you know him) is a collector/dealer that used to come to the shows in Raleigh. He was a big guy (as in 6' 2" ish and 250-280?) and apparently had a near complete Timely collection. He did drop off the radar about 10 years ago, and I understand that he burned several people on his way out, although I don't know any of the particulars.

In any event, it seems John would know who you're talking about since he's been active in that area for 15+ years, so I'd ask him? thumbsup2.gif

I might give John a call today, or send him a message through Ebay. He actually was working at Acme back in the early 80's and opened his own store when he and Jim had a falling out. He probably will remember the store, just thought I would pick my fellow board members brains. wink.gif

Scott

I grew up in Burlington (I'm the Chris Tilley that Zonker is referring to), but I got all my comics at the 7-Eleven on my road (and the Super Flea Market on the grounds of the Greensboro Coliseum) until I stopped collecting in the late 80's. I never went to comic shops (heck, I didn't even know they existed).

I don't think I can be any help with this one, except to correct the highway number (I think you're talking about I-85, not I-40). Would you by any chance remember the exit name or number? The Burlington exits are the low 140's (I grew up on Alamance Rd, which was exit 141).

I believe the guy's name you are talking about was Brad Walker. I think he was doing shows in the Raleigh area around that time frame. I remember he bought an incredible GA collection in the late 80's. I remember trying to buy a nice Flash 104 he had. Never did - drats!! Not sure what happened to him? Think I heard he moved out of NC sometime in the mid - late 90s.

I believe the guy's name you are talking about was Brad Walker. I think he was doing shows in the Raleigh area around that time frame. I remember he bought an incredible GA collection in the late 80's. I remember trying to buy a nice Flash 104 he had. Never did - drats!! Not sure what happened to him? Think I heard he moved out of NC sometime in the mid - late 90s.

That is it!!! I was beginning to think I was just imagining ever going to his store. He did indeed have some incredible books. I bought a 9.6 FF 63 off of him for something like 6 bucks. I bought more, that one just sticks in my mind for some reason. tongue.gif If anyone knows what happened to Brad after he left NC i would love to know...and especially what happened to that Wrightson piece he had. It was an amazing page. Thanks for the help Cap!!!

Scott

I've been thinking about this, and I think I remember the store you're talking about. In my previous post, I got my own former exit number wrong - Alamance Rd. is exit 143 (been quite a while since I've lived in Burlington!). If the store you're talking about was on Huffman Mill Rd. (the exit with all the fast food restaurants and the mall), it's exit 141, which is also the exit for Elon College (the town and college used to have the same name - the school is now Elon University).

Anyway, coming from Greensboro, you would have turned left off the exit ramp, and the store was in a strip mall right after The Village Cafe (later the name was changed to The Village Grille). I don't remember the name of the store, but that's where one was located.

I don't know why it took me so long to remember all this. smile.gif