• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you rather have?

25 posts in this topic

firstly, i'll change the question a bit.

if i HAD BOTH, i'd keep the 9.2 and flip the 9.6 - not a second thought.

now to your question...

if i was buying it intending to flip it, i'd buy the 9.6.

if i was buying it intending to keep it, i'd *probably* go for the 9.2. (not as definite)

i'm assuming the eye appeal of the 9.2 is greater than that of the 9.6? for books i keep, the label really isn't important since so many books are misgraded anyways. good question.

If it's a silver book, I can safetly say that it isn't likely you'll find a 9.2 with better eye appeal than a 9.6, except for miswraps, and the cover being off-center or miscut, as CGC seems to award 9.6's despite these production flaws.

In those cases, I would take the 9.2, especially for my monetary value.

But other than a miswrap or off-centered/miscut cover, I think you would be hard pressed to find a 9.2 with better eye appeal than a 9.6. But to answer your question, I've owned both 9.2's and 9.4's of the same comic, at the same time, and I once opted to keep the 9.2 and sell the 9.4, as I felt the 9.2 to be a superior copy.

To sum up, you should definetly buy the book, not the label.

Now that, my DeNiro loving friend is great advice...

That said - what would you rather own:

CGC 9.2 ASM #50, CGC 9.4 Daredevil #7, or CGC 9.2 Fantastic FOur #26.

Me, personally, I go with the ASM 50 - that book will always be probably one of the most recognizable covers ever.

Well, considering that a DD #7 in CGC 9.4 would run about 3K more than the others(extremely scarce book in 9.4), I think I'd take the DD #7. grin.gif

But a DD #7 in 9.2 is about equal to the others, so if I didn't already have a beautiful ASM #50, I'd probably go with that also, simply because I love it! But DD #7 would definetly be a close second for me.

Well I guess thats a good point.

I've wondered why those 3 books haven't surpassed the like of GS X-Men 1 or X-Men 94, or Hulk 181 in value as they are WAY harder to find in high grade - and extremely significant books.

Yep, that's exactly why you should throw guide out the window on true NM or higher books, as the prices are out of whack.

A 9.4 ASM #50 would run about 3K, a 9.4 DD #7 would run 4-5K, and a FF #26 in 9.4 would run about 3.5K. So the reality of 9.4's of many books definetly don't fit with Overstreet's prices. That's why, for anyone who want's to play in the CGC big leagues, you should forget the guide and study the market when deciding what to pay.

X-Men 35 in 9.4 or Fantastic Four 52 in 9.4(talk about a hard book to find in high grade)

Bob Storm has got an X Men #35 in CGC 9.4 for $800, which I think is very fair, and I'm surprised no one has taken it yet! I would have jumped at it a long time ago, but it isn't a book that's high priority for me. I think there's a 9.2 currently up on ebay....

As for FF #52, tell me about it! Not only is it tough, but it's also one of those books that collectors will hold once they aquire a NM or higher copy. Even finding a nice 9.2 is tough. #53 is also tough in 9.4+, but 9.2's are pretty available. JP's got one on ebay right now.

Is anyone down for going to FF's house, beating him up, and taking his FF 52 that he "stole" from us? We can share ownership, I call getting it on Monday/Tuesday.

Brian

Is anyone down for going to FF's house, beating him up, and taking his FF 52 that he "stole" from us? We can share ownership, I call getting it on Monday/Tuesday.

Don't give me ideas..... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

But seriously, I would have thought a 9.4 would have popped up by now.....it's been almost a year since I saw the last one at the JP auction last summer. I'm gonna start looking for a 9.2.

Supapimp has one

Yeah, I remember talking to him about that. I think I came out of it thinking "if I'm going to spend that money, I may as well wait for a 9.4".......

.......Man, I'm screwed! 893frustrated.gif I've had nothing but bad luck with this book, ever since I missed pulling the trigger on that 9.6 by seconds.......I passed up the JP copy, I passed up another 9.2 BIN which was reasonable.........man, I'm an [!@#%^&^].

That's an FF 53, but that is also a hard book to find in 9.2/9.4

Yeah I know....I was talking about the #53 on an earlier post. If that was a #52 I wouldn't be exposing a link. wink.gif