• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM ASM 129

15 posts in this topic

A few hidden defects. 3 or 4 small water drop stains on the front cover. Chip (1/6") at bottom of spine. Brownish spots of discoloration on the right edge of the front and bottom left back corner are from foxing, largish stain on the top back edge looks like it's from water. Small 1/4" tear on the bottom staple, near the top (not a stress line). Small distributor overspray stain on the middle top edge. Light dust shadow on the back spine. Nice eye appeal, centering and colors.

Thanks!

asm129.jpg

asm129bk.jpg

Geez, this is a tough one, and accordingly our grades are all over the place. Without the stain, I'd probably put it around 7.0...but the stain is on the back cover, so I wouldn't totally hammer the book either. I'd probably say a strict 5.5 overall...in hand, with the nice color & presumed gloss, maybe a bump to 6.0. Certainly looks better than grade. confused-smiley-013.gif

Geez, this is a tough one, and accordingly our grades are all over the place. Without the stain, I'd probably put it around 7.0...but the stain is on the back cover, so I wouldn't totally hammer the book either. I'd probably say a strict 5.5 overall...in hand, with the nice color & presumed gloss, maybe a bump to 6.0. Certainly looks better than grade. confused-smiley-013.gif

Yup, i don't recall seeing such a spectrum of grades before on one book!

That's a fair point, King; it is reasonably light/unobtrusive as far as stains go. I guess it depends on whether you dock a book more for staining than for general wear (no question that I do), plus the tiny chip & other little flaws that hurt the book on the way down.

I think it's the water stains that do this one in...without it, it's a 7.0-7.5, as is, a 5.5 IMO....

Agree.

A 7.0/7.5 book that staining takes down to a low Fine 5.0/5.5

Here's another thought: everyone that graded this ASM should take a swing grading the Hulk #102 that's up right now...that's a really sharp book from the front, but also has a stain on the back (which is even a bit bigger). Since we're focused on this defect, would be interesting to compare how folks feel about that one.

Have to agree with you. Defects combined with water stains (which CGC hammers a book for) I would put it in the the 5.5/6.0 range.