• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Collectors .net

20 posts in this topic

Hey anyone know anything about this site/company??....... confused.gif.I've never bought from them before and they have a new catalog coming out the end of this month,...but the guy won't give any answers to whats in it till it's shipped.

Jonny D.

They have nice books but are quite pricey. He writes an extensive market report for the Overstreet guide. Not a believer in CGC. Never have heard many bad things about him, his shipping is quick and well packed.His market report for guide 32 opened a can of worms for me. Read it and judge for yourself. Bill

I just hate it when you call a dealer and they tell you they got just wghat your looking for but I can;t sell it to you right now....He has a new catalog that was supposed to be out May 10th......he told me it's still not back from the printers....and won't be out till some time in June.......My money ain't gonna make it past the Philly wizard show, so I gues he's out of luck...

Jonny D.

Hey anyone know anything about this site/company??....... confused.gif.I've never bought from them before and they have a new catalog coming out the end of this month,...but the guy won't give any answers to whats in it till it's shipped.

Yep, saw that thing about the catalog...I don't understand that marketing stance. All it does is tick me off...I couldn't figure out why he didn't just list what he had. Too much stuff on other dealer's sites, ebay, heritage, etc, to jump thru hoops for who knows what reason.

I bought from him (Marnin Rosenberg) several years ago (before CGC). Most books seemed to be overgraded a notch or two. Sent some back, kept a few.

He did refund my money right away so its not like your taking a risk.

Problem with his non-CGC books is that he thinks if its a pedigree (i.e. Bethlehem, Circle 8, etc. ) then it must be worth a huge premium. I bought one Bethlehem book from him (graded VF/NM) and it is actually "nasty". The back is brown (yes, brown).

Example:

He has a Mystic #54 Circle 8 copy in VF++ (that's his grade) for $205. It's not CGC'd, just his grade. Well I just bought from Heritage Auctions two weeks ago a Mystic #54 Circle 8 (there are more than one Circle 8 copies of some books) for in CGC VF condition for:

Make a guess----------

$73 including buyers premium and shipping.

Think he's somewhat overpriced? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The rap I've heard about Rosenburg is that he used to be super tight with his grading, but then over time, he loosened his standards before cgc... since cgc, he apparently has tightened up, so his prices have gone through the roof. I see zero advantage of buying from him as opposed to a cgc book... I've aquired a few books from him and thought that the grading was off, but not by that much, and by all accounts, he's tightened up again. I just think his prices are too high for unslabbed since the resale value can't be turned around for what you paid for it unless you take the time and money to cgc it.

Problem with his non-CGC books is that he thinks if its a pedigree (i.e. Bethlehem, Circle 8, etc. ) then it must be worth a huge premium. I bought one Bethlehem book from him (graded VF/NM) and it is actually "nasty". The back is brown (yes, brown).

What was the Bethlehem you bought and did you keep it?

Not a believer in CGC.

Yep, that's true. And I love how he dosen't believe in it, but has a substantial amount of certified books, and feels justified in charging CGC prices for raw books. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you. 893naughty-thumb.gif

yeah, he's actually admitted that he doesn't support cgc, but he's perfectly willing to take the money... it makes me laugh everytime I see it. Oh yeah, I'm making double and triple for high grade books, but damn that cgc, it makes me more money and I hate more money.

Not a believer in CGC.

Yep, that's true. And I love how he dosen't believe in it, but has a substantial amount of certified books, and feels justified in charging CGC prices for raw books. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Are you referring to the Mass books that were CGC'd? If so, I believe there was a co-party that wanted them CGC'd.

I agree it's quite ridiculous to charge the prices he does, but obviously the market has shown that a "strict" book in a certain grade will go for that price.

Brian

ahhh, the "bethleham pedigree" how did you get so tan? 893whatthe.gif27_laughing.gifgoodevil.gif

Are you referring to the Mass books that were CGC'd? If so, I believe there was a co-party that wanted them CGC'd.

Hey, I'm all for dealer's charging whatever they want on books......it's their stuff and it's their problem, I just won't buy. But what I don't like is that he publically states he dosen't agree with CGC, which is fine, but then he certifies a huge amount of his Mass collection for the JP auction? Not to mention the fact that he has a number of graded books on his site. Co-party or not, I'm sure he made out like a bandit, which is also fine....good for him......let's hear it for Capitalism!.....But what I don't like is the hypocracy.

Marnin appears to be sitting on both sides of the fence with respect to CGC. If you all remember, the first Greg Manning auction back in the spring of 2000 was the first auction to feature the introduction of CGC books into the marketplace. This auction was based in large part upon the CGC books from Marnin's collection. This auction saw significant multiples paid for pre-code horror books from the collection and went a long way towards establishing the credibility of CGC as the way to go if you wanted to realize high prices for your comics.

As a result, I find it a bit hypocritical for Marnin to be bad-mouthing CGC after he had used it to maximize his profits. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Thought this would be a reasonable first post as I have bought from Marnin for about 5 years now. For the conspiracy theorists, no, I am not Marnin...

From my experience, yes, he tends to charge similarly to cgc prices for non-certified books. I've been pleased with his overall grading over the last several years. I have had 3 of his books sent in for grading (prior to selling), all sold to me as NM 9.4, and received a 9.2, 9.4 and 9.6. I can't speak for what his grading used to be in his so called 'loose period', but he seems pretty consistent over the last few years. I've heard some criticism over his uncertified prices, but if he were to sell at 'ebay uncertified' prices, he'd be bought out by dealers pretty quickly, I'm sure. His site is pretty sharp, and he'll give you his grading opinion on cgc certified books (whether higher or lower), which I think is pretty honest. So why do I buy uncertified from him as opposed to certified books? Personal preference, I guess, sometimes I still like to buy high grade books that are not slabbed. (Hammer, if you're reading this, I've read your posts recently and am expecting a predictable response) wink.gif

One thing I particularly like about Marnin is his willingness to accept returns (no questions asked, problem free) even on cgc graded books. Pretty rare among dealers for some reason. Having paid good money for cgc books that IMO may have been overgraded slightly in the past, at least Marnin is willing to accept returns on slabbed books.

Larry

the good dealers will always take back books from their good clients. you sound like a repeat customer and as such, better to take a few back and keep you happy and buying. sounds too cynical i know. but its just good business sense.

I do believe the books I bought from him were in his "loose" period. He has some nice books but it still seems to me that (on the books that I want) his prices are just flat out high (regardless if they are slabbed or not).

Almost every Atlas book from the Circle 8 collection he wants over $200. I routinely get these from Heritage or off of eBay for about half the price.

The problem with most dealer prices is that they are geared to the person who "HAS TO HAVE" that book. There are only a few books that I dearly want, and even when they are offered, I only going to buy them if the price is below the "you got to kidding me right" price.

In his market report for issue 32 of the Overstreet guide he tells of sending six restored books in for grading and having them returned in universal slabs.Goes on to rip CGC for missing the restortation.WHAT BECAME OF THESE BOOKS?. I asked him this in an email and got no reply.Iwonder if he let the buyers of these univeral label books know they were restored? I think he must have but as a potential buyer I would love to be sure the book I was buying is not one of those six.

What type of restoration? If it was trimming on the right side, they might just have thought it was miscut. If it was pressed and cleaned, they could miss also that (depending on if the book was taken apart).

CGC is not infallible by any means. But say you bought a "Universal" Blue book and then later someone told you that it was restored. Would you have it reslabbed so it would have a purple label, or tell the buyer that it's restored. Probably not.