• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Point Five's Golden Age/Atomic Age Sale! BIN, Forum-Only!

95 posts in this topic

Superman #4, 1940. If you've read my posts in the GA section, you already know how I love these early Superman books. This is a coverless/incomplete copy of #4, missing first wrap and inner 2 centerfolds. Plenty of wear as shown in scan, some scattered tears throughout (3” tear on 3rd page, others are smaller), and the innermost center spread is loose with ragged edges and pieces missing in the margin (which don't interfere with reading). The good news is that all the pages are bright/creamy with colorful inks & extremely supple, making this an excellent reader. You still get 52 densely-packed pages of early Siegel & Shuster work, with that early-GA mojo you just can't get from a reprint. First story is the 2nd appearance anywhere of Luthor back when he had red hair (just missing 1st page), and second story is his 3rd appearance which is complete. There's two more stories, plus an awesome one-page Siegel & Shuster filler called “Attaining Super-Strength”, depicting how eating right and exercising enables a young kid to kick the school bully's a$s…that's the essence of Jerry's Siegel's early Superman right there. Here's a Luthor page Back page Great early ish, priced right! $50

superman4.jpg

Mysterious Adventures #20, 1954. One of the truly over-the-top pre-code horror titles, and one of the best issues of the run! According to OS Guide, this issue was used in the Senate hearings on comics, and it's no wonder why…blood draining, slashings, living corpses, multiple hangings, and oh yeah, this! I'd grade this book a very solid VG+ to VGF. Just a bit of UR corner rumpling & some spine wear. Very glossy cover, nice supple creamy/offwhite pages. Back cover This book is extremely difficult to find in better than VG (trust me). $90

myst20.jpg

takeit.gif

Weird Science #14, 1952. Gorgeous Wood cover on this one! …and equally gorgeous Wood art on the first story. Book looks nearly VF…glossy, sharp edges, deep rich cover colors…but there's a tiny chip missing from each right edge corner, and someone added a corresponding dot of color touch on the first page to camouflage the problem. Also light crease URC (thru EC symbol) with a bit of touchup, and (inexplicably) an unnecessary piece of tape on the other side. No color touch on spine or anywhere else, and other than this the wear is extremely minimal. A bit of tanning at cover edges, but pages are creamy/very light tan & supple. I purchased this from Ted Van Liew many years ago & have been quite happy with it. Very attractive book both in hand & in the Mylar…if you can live with the resto, a chance to pick up a book that presents like a 7.0/7.5 ($175+ in guide…Good Lord (Choke!)). Back cover $52

ws14.jpg

Shock Suspenstories #14, 1954. Great Wally Wood gangster cover, and the highlight inside is excellent moody Wood art on a story about a racist hooded KKK-type mob in a small town. Sharp very glossy book grades a strong VG+, with light wear & cream to light tan pages. Back cover Purchased from Metropolis in '98. $45

ss14.jpg

Shock Suspenstories #16, 1954. Very strong issue (3rd to last of the title). Stunning Reed Crandall art on a grim story about the aftermath of a rape. Also a story about anti-communist hysteria, and the famous “Are You a Red Dupe?” editorial on the inside cover. Rare George Evans cover. Book grades about Good+…general wear, light subscription crease thru book, rough edges on back cover, & most pages have a small tear on the reading edge. Back cover Still, pretty nice reading copy of a great EC. $27

ss16.jpg

Haunt of Fear #20, 1953. Top-notch artist lineup of Ingels, Feldstein ®, Crandall (absolutely stunning GGA/vampire story!) and Davis. Nice lower-grade copy. Grading forum pegged this one around 3.0/3.5 (I agree), but looks much better than grade with strong cover inks & gloss. Some light general wear, & a bit of chipping on the back which drops the grade. Creamy pages. Back cover $28

hof20.jpg

Shocking Mystery Cases #51, 1952. Classic LB Cole psychedelic severed heads cover! A rough copy that grades Fair…heavy general wear & tear, plus the centerfold is missing (but hey, it's a Star comic so you're not missing too much). Nice Jay Disbrow art on the cover story, which is complete. Good news is the cover, which has great color & eye appeal despite the problems. So cheap! smile.gif$20

shock51.jpg

...and finally,

Famous Funnies #212, 1954. One of my favorites of these famous Frazetta sci-fi covers! …hate to let this one go. Nice-looking low-grade copy grades a solid Good+. There are some moisture stains on the cover which bring down the grade, but with the heavy blacks they're fairly unobtrusive (looks no worse than a bit of soiling) & book lies flat with no warping. Strong eye appeal for grade, quite glossy with deep rich colors…IMO, looks closer to a VG. No color touch on the black. Here's the back cover. You'll be happy with this one. Bargain copy of a great book! $130 SOLD

ff212.jpg

...and finally,

Famous Funnies #212, 1954. One of my favorites of these famous Frazetta sci-fi covers! …hate to let this one go. Nice-looking low-grade copy grades a solid Good+. There are some moisture stains on the cover which bring down the grade, but with the heavy blacks they're fairly unobtrusive (looks no worse than a bit of soiling) & book lies flat with no warping. Strong eye appeal for grade, quite glossy with deep rich colors…IMO, looks closer to a VG. No color touch on the black. Here's the back cover. You'll be happy with this one. Bargain copy of a great book! $130

ff212.jpg

takeit.giftakeit.gif